What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Note
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by Note »

Had a really nice weekend. Finally socialized with friends for the first time in close to 8 months. We checked out a Mexican seafood place, relaxed at a cafe's outdoor patio area, and had a chance to meet my friend's new dog.

It was also a nice test for me as I'm still recovering from my foot injury but was able to hang out all day with minimal pain while walking a good amount, about 2 miles in total.

Ceviche at the Mexican restaurant. Spot was great, would definitely go back.

Meeting my friend's dog outside of his apartment. Really cool dog!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

:( Last night I carried a new gun safe into the house and a bunch of bags of soil into the backyard and now I'm sore as hell. Getting old sucks.

:( :( Had to use the poop fork again.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

:( Forgot to change my alarm back and ended up oversleeping today. On days where I have to work Duck Donuts, I set my alarm for 6am, but for days where I don't I set it for 10am. But I forgot to change it back after being off for the past two days and I woke up at 6:30am, which in this case would literally be when I head out the door.

:) When I called my manager to tell her I'd be late, she said it was looking to be slow and she probably wouldn't need me today. And considering I was scheduled 7am-2pm at Duck Donuts and 3-10 at Food Lion this actually worked out.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

:x

So I've been putting together a clone of the EHX Small Clone (a classic chorus pedal, probably most famously known at this point for the Nirvana song Come As You Are). I got the bare PCB from a website that makes PCBs for pedal clones, and I sourced all the parts from various suppliers.

Well everything finally all came in the mail and I started to solder all the components to the PCB. THEN I realize that I somehow missed 3 or 4 capacitor values. This really sucks because small value caps are like 25 cents each give or take, but then you have to pay shipping on it. So usually if I need to order some cheap components I just put them on a list and what until I can make a decent sized order to make the shipping cost worth it. I can do USPS First Class for $5, which isn't a lot in and of itself, but is kind of insane to pay for $1 worth of parts.

But, I bit the bullet and decided to order the parts anyway because I don't feel like waiting. So the caps come in the mail and I realize that two of the caps are the wrong value. I somehow ordered the wrong values! DAMMIT! So now I have to pay another $5 shipping to order like 40 cents worth of material! I rationalized it by thinking if Radio Shack were still around, I would have definitely gone there instead of waiting for caps to come in the mail. Only they would charge a couple of bucks for caps instead of cents. And they probably wouldn't have the values I needed, so I would have to try and make those values by putting 2 or more caps in series (AND over paying for them). So thinking about it that way, I guess it's not that bad. Still I had to pay an extra $10 in shipping charges because I'm an idiot. I guess that's what I get for not paying enough attention when I was making these orders.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

^I hate getting in those "measure twice, cut wrong" scenarios.
marurun

Post by marurun »

opa wrote:^I hate getting in those "measure twice, cut wrong" scenarios.

For me it would be more like, “measure three times, get different measurements every time” and then, “ow, I needed that finger.”
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have to admit that I was being really lazy when I made the first order, and I couldn't even be bothered to check things off as I added them to my cart. The second time around, ordering wrong values, I don't know. I guess I was being even more lazy than the first time. But I only have myself to blame. :lol:

As for woodworking, construction, carpentry and just making stuff in general... That old adage "measure twice, cut once" works when you're just trying to say to double check your work (like checking your BOM twice before submitted the order) but in woodworking and whatnot, some people might be surprised to know that you usually try your hardest to NEVER have to measure anything.

Of course, it sometimes can't be helped and you have to measure something. But generally you use different ways to scribe or score, or use a story stick, or a stop block, et cetera. Say you need to cut a piece of wood to fit in something and it has to be pretty exact. Well, you could measure twice and then make your cut and it'll still probably be wrong. Or, you could put your length of wood up to where you need it and make a scribe, then cut at the scribe and have a perfect fit. Or, a tried and true method, cut it purposely a little too long and then sneak up on it by taking slivers off until it fits perfectly. Which is literally, "Measure nothing, make many cuts."
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Dam it, shock g (digital underground) died. That's mf doom, dmx, black rob and humpty like the last 6 months. Alot of guys I grew up listening to passing on. RIP.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

stickem wrote:Dam it, shock g (digital underground) died. That's mf doom, dmx, black rob and humpty like the last 6 months. Alot of guys I grew up listening to passing on. RIP.

What? I missed Black Rob dying? I was just listening to Whoa a couple weeks ago.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
stickem wrote:Dam it, shock g (digital underground) died. That's mf doom, dmx, black rob and humpty like the last 6 months. Alot of guys I grew up listening to passing on. RIP.

What? I missed Black Rob dying? I was just listening to Whoa a couple weeks ago.

kidney failure. his video last week in his hospital bed speaking on dmx was sad.