What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by samsonlonghair »

REPO Man wrote::D I'm really starting to love my new job! So far I'm just mixing the batter for our donuts, which are a vanilla cake donut fried in soy-based shortening and made to order. My two faves are a chocolate-frosted donut with bacon and a salted caramel drizzle and a lemon-frosted donut with drizzles of strawberry, blueberry and orange frostings. The last one's just like sherbet, but it's a donut.

:cry: / :shock: I have to be there at 6:15 am starting Monday! And that's on top of not getting out of the Bistro until as late as almost midnight!

:) But I'm off on Tuesdays from both jobs.

:D And between both jobs I could be pulling in quite a pretty penny!

Glad you got a new job that you like, Repo. More power to you. Good luck on your upcoming move.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I just hope I'll be able to get internet hooked up.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Don’t even get me started on internet connection woes, dude. :x
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

:? : So I'm in the process of moving all of my stuff out of my Dads old house and it's crazy how much I've accumulated :P. Was reorganizing my collection to fit at my Moms place since I'm still not financially where I want to be to buy a place of my own yet. However there is no way it's fitting even with me splitting a 12x12 storage unit with my brother so I'm swinging towards purging my collection again slimming down to maybe the last two generations, RPGs, and any titles I have a lot of history with or an extreme desire to play. So look forward to seeing a huge sale thread in the near future.

:D : I was converted at work to a Career Mail Handler so I now have life insurance, retirement, sick leave, and etc. Plus I have a set schedule so my days off aren't swapping around every week. I now work 9:30am-6pm with Sundays and Mondays off at least until I bid to another position which will probably be soon since I'm technically "unassigned" at the moment and could be forced to change areas/schedules by management.

:roll: : Family is still crazy. Dad got remarried to one of the women who he cheated on my mom with, Mom is dating someone I'm not the biggest fan off and is wanting to relocate to North Carolina, and my brother is engaged to be married but has mood swings pretty much daily which makes a shit load of drama. My mom is also pressuring me big time to move with her if she goes and is giving me a really hard time about wanting to stay in WV :roll: . Needless to say I really need to get some distance/independence from them before I go crazy :P.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Fragems wrote::? : So I'm in the process of moving all of my stuff out of my Dads old house and it's crazy how much I've accumulated :P. Was reorganizing my collection to fit at my Moms place since I'm still not financially where I want to be to buy a place of my own yet. However there is no way it's fitting even with me splitting a 12x12 storage unit with my brother so I'm swinging towards purging my collection again slimming down to maybe the last two generations, RPGs, and any titles I have a lot of history with or an extreme desire to play. So look forward to seeing a huge sale thread in the near future.

:D : I was converted at work to a Career Mail Handler so I now have life insurance, retirement, sick leave, and etc. Plus I have a set schedule so my days off aren't swapping around every week. I now work 9:30am-6pm with Sundays and Mondays off at least until I bid to another position which will probably be soon since I'm technically "unassigned" at the moment and could be forced to change areas/schedules by management.

:roll: : Family is still crazy. Dad got remarried to one of the women who he cheated on my mom with, Mom is dating someone I'm not the biggest fan off and is wanting to relocate to North Carolina, and my brother is engaged to be married but has mood swings pretty much daily which makes a shit load of drama. My mom is also pressuring me big time to move with her if she goes and is giving me a really hard time about wanting to stay in WV :roll: . Needless to say I really need to get some distance/independence from them before I go crazy :P.

Yo Fragems, Congratulations on the promotion! I know how hard it is to get full time work in West Virginia. Way to go, brother! Try not to let Post Office politics get you down.

I understand what you mean about getting some distance from your family. It's wonderful being in a different state from the rest of the fam.

For what it's worth, I understand that feeling of not wanting to leave West Virginia. It's hard to explain to anyone who never lived there, but I totally get it. There's something about the place you can't find anywhere else. There's a certain decency and humility and politeness about (most of) the people there. Plus the logistics of moving is a real challenge when you live in West Virginia. I agonized over the decision for a long time. Ultimately I'm glad I moved away from the Mountain State. I still come back to visit once or twice a year, but when I come back to visit I find that a lot of my favorite people have also moved away. I guess that's what they call the brain drain effect. You can never really go home again, but you can move forward in life.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Fragems wrote:I now work 9:30am-6pm with Sundays and Mondays off at least until I bid to another position which will probably be soon since I'm technically "unassigned" at the moment and could be forced to change areas/schedules by management.

SUN/MON off is the best. I had that at my last job and miss the hell out of it. I currently have SAT/SUN off, and this is the first time I have proper weekends. I'd trade it in a heart beat for a SUN/MON off schedule again.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Fragems wrote:I now work 9:30am-6pm with Sundays and Mondays off at least until I bid to another position which will probably be soon since I'm technically "unassigned" at the moment and could be forced to change areas/schedules by management.

SUN/MON off is the best. I had that at my last job and miss the hell out of it. I currently have SAT/SUN off, and this is the first time I have proper weekends. I'd trade it in a heart beat for a SUN/MON off schedule again.

Sundays are the slowest days since there is no incoming mail from the local offices and Monday is the worst since we get 2 days worth all at once so it's definitely the best scheduled days off to have. Probably will take me a few years to get that slot again once I bid to an area since everything is based on seniority.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Fragems: I had a friend (was a friend) of mine who was a mail carrier as well. Did stupid shit and lost the job after two years.

Do yourself a favor: don’t do stupid shit. Being a mail carrier, while not as glamorous, is a great job to have and after some time on the job, you’ll have benefits I would kill to have. After a few years you’d be set for life pretty much.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Don’t you love when somebody else’s drama spills over into your life? :roll:

My landlord lives next door, or rather he used to live next door. He’s getting a divorce. Don’t know where his wife is. Currently his house is empty.

This divorce nonsense is causing me & my fiancé no shortage of grief. I don’t have time to relay every detail now. The most recent bit of grief is his pool. It used to be a swimming pool; now it’s a cesspool.

I have taken to calling the pool mosquito kingdom. I’m convinced that it’s the official home base for every mosquito in a twelve mile radius. What’s worse? This cesspool is about two hundred feet from my front door in a fenced-in deck. I’m getting eaten alive every time I step outside. :?

Anyone know how to drain an above ground pool? I need to know before I contract malaria. :mrgreen:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Pour bleach in it. 8)

If you wanna empty the pool, you need some sort of pump. Probably a submersible pump would be best, but I've never owned a pool

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pu ... max&NCNI-5

Bugs and mosquitoes makes summer my least favorite season. That sucks man.