Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gucci
64-bit

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by Gucci Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:55 pm

It'll cost a lot of money to get something that will run DC games. Get yourself a used PSP and mod it. It's simple, cheap, and, if this page can be believed, play a shit ton of older systems via emulation.

I have a PSP Go and it's probably one of the best things for a retro gamer to have in their arsenal, in my opinion.

Edit: Well never fucking mind! Excuse the profanity, but when the fuck did PSP consoles get so expensive? eBay is wild!
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:04 pm

May I ask a personal question Repo? Why are you so keen on giving your nieces gifts?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:15 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:May I ask a personal question Repo? Why are you so keen on giving your nieces gifts?

It's my best method for sharing my interests with them. Everyone else, such as their parents and grandparents and so on, have it much easier because they're into more mainstream interests. Like football. My mom's a total Panthers stan, while my dad stans Washington Football Team. They both root for UNC, though. Also I'm the only one who doesn't like fishing. And pretty much any attempt to share my interests with everyone usually falls flat. A few years ago I took my late RetroPie to Thanksgiving dinner and they all decided to watch football. Any time I try to get everyone together for movie night or game night or Easter brunch everyone is usually "too busy".

But by giving my niblings some of my favorite books, movies, games or so on, it's a way to share my interests with them.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:38 pm

You should probably just watch football with them. Make yourself a Tar Heels fan in no time flat. A girl who spends 24 hours a week at cheer practice is probably not that interested in the Dreamcast emulation scene.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Sload Soap wrote:You should probably just watch football with them.

No.

Sload Soap wrote:Make yourself a Tar Heels fan in no time flat.

No, but I do like Carolina blue.

Sload Soap wrote:A girl who spends 24 hours a week at cheer practice is probably not that interested in the Dreamcast emulation scene.

Stereotype, much?
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:36 pm

VLADIMIR: I've decided not to try to get Switches for my nieces, but only because raising all the money and buying everything myself is just too difficult.

FIVE MINUTES PASS DURING WHICH THE CHARACTERS DO NOT MOVE

VLADIMIR: Does anyone have any experience with the Retroid Pocket 2? I'm considering getting those for my nieces in lieu of Switches.

ESTRAGON: My experience with the Retroid Pocket 2 is you shouldn't be spending money on your nieces and get your own financial house in order.

VLADIMIR: It's not just me. Robyn said she'd kick in some money if it's not just me. And my Mom did say she had some money. Plus my brother, his ex-wife and ex-girlfiend, and possibly his current girlfriend, are probably liable to kick in.

ESTRAGON: The Retroid Pocket 2 is a pain in the ass to configure with games and whatnot.

VLADIMIR: I've thought about the Odroid Go Super, but it looks like it'd be more for techies and hobbyists. Plus there's no TV out.

ESTRAGON: The Anbernic units are really easy to use. I’d go for one of those.

VLADIMIR: Any of them under $90 with dual twin sticks? Plus the Retroid Pocket 2 already has some decent Dreamcast and PSP support and TV out along with running Android.

ESTRAGON: I have a Retroid Pocket 2. It's NOT worth it for what you want it for. At all. Just don't do it. Find something easier to work with.

VLADIMIR: What about the Odroid Go Super? While it doesn't have TV out it does seem to check a lot of the right boxes.

ESTRAGON: May I ask a personal question? Why are you so keen on giving your nieces gifts?

VLADIMIR: It's my best method for sharing my interests with them. Everyone else, such as their parents and grandparents and so on, have it much easier because they're into more mainstream interests. Like football. My mom's a total Panthers stan, while my dad stans Washington Football Team. They both root for UNC, though. Also I'm the only one who doesn't like fishing. And pretty much any attempt to share my interests with everyone usually falls flat. A few years ago I took my late RetroPie to Thanksgiving dinner and they all decided to watch football. Any time I try to get everyone together for movie night or game night or Easter brunch everyone is usually "too busy". But by giving my niblings some of my favorite books, movies, games or so on, it's a way to share my interests with them.

POZZO: You should probably just watch football with them. Make yourself a Tar Heels fan in no time flat. A girl who spends 24 hours a week at cheer practice is probably not that interested in the Dreamcast emulation scene.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
marurun

by marurun Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:40 pm

I am a very Estragon character at times…
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:43 pm

REPO Man wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:May I ask a personal question Repo? Why are you so keen on giving your nieces gifts?

It's my best method for sharing my interests with them. Everyone else, such as their parents and grandparents and so on, have it much easier because they're into more mainstream interests. Like football. My mom's a total Panthers stan, while my dad stans Washington Football Team. They both root for UNC, though. Also I'm the only one who doesn't like fishing. And pretty much any attempt to share my interests with everyone usually falls flat. A few years ago I took my late RetroPie to Thanksgiving dinner and they all decided to watch football. Any time I try to get everyone together for movie night or game night or Easter brunch everyone is usually "too busy".

But by giving my niblings some of my favorite books, movies, games or so on, it's a way to share my interests with them.

Have you considered trying out their interests? It might make a fun switcharoo kind of thing where people try each other's. I'm sorry I just kind of get an elitist vibe from this post. Gaming is not a "better" hobby than sports. I'd argue that no hobbies are better than any of them, it all comes down to the person and how they are with the hobby.
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:06 pm

marurun wrote:I am a very Estragon character at times…

We're all trapped in our roles.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 pm

REPO Man wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:You should probably just watch football with them.

No.

Ah, see here's your problem. You wish them to bend but you remain resolute. In the old tongue this was called "Omarau Wa Shibenitsu". Today we call it "Being an arse".
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever