Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

by REPO Man Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:27 pm

I've thought about the Odroid Go Super, but it looks like it'd be more for techies and hobbyists. Plus there's no TV out.

Basically I want something that can run up PS1 games, possibly some Dreamcast and have two analog sticks, all for no more than $80-90.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:28 pm

The Anbernic units are really easy to use. I’d go for one of those. I don’t think you’ll get TV out, though, and they definitely won’t play DC games. They handle everything up to PS1 easily, though.
marurun

by marurun Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:04 pm

You're not going to get DC games, not even on the Retroid 2. That's just not going to happen. Go for an Abernic. They're the easiest to deal with. The Retroid 2's second analog stick isn't really an analog stick, anyway.

Also, kneeling chairs can be quite comfy and I used one for several years as a kid. It was great to use in front of the Apple //c,
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:05 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Anbernic units are really easy to use. I’d go for one of those. I don’t think you’ll get TV out, though, and they definitely won’t play DC games. They handle everything up to PS1 easily, though.

Any of them under $90 with dual twin sticks?

Plus the Retroid Pocket 2 already has some decent Dreamcast and PSP support and TV out along with running Android (which means Sonic: Time Twisted, Sonic 3 AIR and possibly a handful of Kemco games and maybe at least one GTA), all for $80.
marurun

by marurun Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:30 pm

REPO Man wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Anbernic units are really easy to use. I’d go for one of those. I don’t think you’ll get TV out, though, and they definitely won’t play DC games. They handle everything up to PS1 easily, though.

Any of them under $90 with dual twin sticks?

Plus the Retroid Pocket 2 already has some decent Dreamcast and PSP support and TV out along with running Android (which means Sonic: Time Twisted, Sonic 3 AIR and possibly a handful of Kemco games and maybe at least one GTA), all for $80.

I have a Retroid Pocket 2. PSP and DC support is really only decently performant for a few titles. Sure, it runs Android, but configuring it and getting it to work is a PITA, and could in some cases require you open the unit to unseat and re-seat the battery (it can just decide to brick itself in the process).

It's NOT worth it for what you want it for. At all. Just don't do it. Find something easier to work with. Retroid Pocket 2 is the handheld equivalent of running Linux on your home PC.

But then, you never let us talk you out of any of your other bad ideas. I have no reason to think you'll actually take our advice this time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:35 pm

At this point I'm thinking of looking in to becoming executor of Repo's estate or something to keep him from doing dumb stuff like this. In a few years after I take over he'll have his NYC money and then the only factor that will keep him from doing it will be his own unwillingness to actually take the plunge.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:15 pm

I’ve seen a few kneeling chairs before. Not used one myself though. You won’t find something like that in a finance centric office like what I’ve been in. Those environments are a bit conservative. The bank I work for did not roll out support for dual monitor use until 2018. I was way ahead of the ball game (because I purchased my own equipment) but had several staring eyes prior to the adoption.

People had comments when I turned one of those monitors vertically. That was fun…
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:24 pm

What about the Odroid Go Super? While it doesn't have TV out it does seem to check a lot of the right boxes.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:34 pm

I don't know how much these things cost.
Nvidia Shield TV can play up to and including Dreamcast and GameCube Via Retroarch and Dolphin, respectively.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:44 pm

I've heard good things about the Nvidia Shield TV, but I'm aiming for handheld devices. My oldest niece has dance cheer four times a week, and she leaves around 3:30 and gets back home around 10-10:30. The other three days her sister goes to her dad's, while their brothers go to their dad's the same days. So it's more logical to opt for handheld devices.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever