What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

:? A friend reached out to check on me this weekend, which was great. But, at the same time, they aren't someone I can talk with due to what and who are involved in my issues right now. I don't know what to do- I feel like a dick for brushing them off, but at the same time I don't know what else to do.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

My A-Hole of a downstairs neighbor is finally moving out!

6 years ago, him, his newborn son and his girlfriend moved into a one bedroom apartment. My complex was built in the 70s/80s, so it's just wood and carpet, so I hear absolutely everything. In the 6 years of him living below me, I have heard the following:

- His newborn son crying at all hours of the nights.
- Loud banging and cracking as he was constantly putting furniture together.
- Thudding as he would drop said furniture everywhere.
- Loud fighting and screaming until said girlfriend moved out 4 years ago.
- More crying as his son was an awful toddler and screamed at a moment's notice.
- He watched movies from 6-10PM at high volumes where I can almost hear every single word.
- Some Saturday/Sunday mornings, he would blast music at 7AM.
- And then play said movies starting at 12PM and lasting until 12AM.

All of this went on for years. I complained to the Manager, but by the 4th or 5th time, they said there is nothing they can do about it. They sent notices, but unless I called the police on him, then that was it.

However, today, I saw him putting stuff into his car and he just removed his welcome mat. Just a few more days and I will be rid of one of the worst people I have ever known in my life.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

^ Glad to hear it. I've had similar issues but thankfully (knock on wood) after years of battling him...he just stopped and I don't know why nor care as long as he stopped and hope it continues.

Now as for me. I was pissed as I noticed my TV is going out..my only HDTV. I was livid as I can't get a new one. Then my mom called and we were talking and she is not made of money either she offered to buy a new one and she did but of course she wants something in return to help her out which of course I will. So I went from being angry to being relieved and happy. New TV will arrive here on Wed. It's not 4K. It is new. I'm just happy it worked out.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Congrats on the new tv! I’m glad mine has lasted 7 years now (that wouldn’t be an accomplishment at all for a tube tv). I don’t have any plans for a bigger one or a 4K so when mine breaks it just means paying $300 to replace it with basically a duplicate.

I’ve moved about ten times in the ten years since I went to college and I’m fortunate to have never had a bad neighbor (had a bad roommate, but that’s college). Your neighbor sounds like a nightmare. I hope your new one is a vast improvement.

And as for how I’m doing, I spent hours working on the downstairs plumbing in the last week. I got the drain lines sloped correctly now (they were going the wrong way in some spots), and hung the pipes with new metal hanger. The toilet in the downstairs bathroom is still backing up so I’m fairly sure that line is clogged, but it would have been futile to unclog it with the lines so messed up; it just would have clogged again.

The auger I bought doesn’t work at all though. It’s one of those ones that you spin a plastic wheel by hand and the line is supposed to feed, except you have to squeeze a trigger really hard the whole time which gets uncomfortable quickly, then about 6 feet in the snake stops coming out. I’m going to just try feeding it by hand and see if I can find the clog, or l’m thinking I might screw a piece of wood across the back of this stupid tool then use that to attach my drill to it (augers you attach your drill to exist, so I’d just be making a crappy diy version of one) .I’m happy I got some stuff done, but just wanting the job to end; I’m tied of working on waste lines.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Last week while snowboarding with my daughter (her first season!), I broke the toe buckle on one of my bindings. It was the release clip on my trailing toe, and when it broke my foot was still in the binding (meaning I couldn't actually get my foot out of the binding). After some lift line shenanigans (I did drop out of the line) doing the hokie-pokie, I was finally able to wiggle my foot free which was great. And after jamming my car keys into the mechanism I was able to release the binding fully. But since I wasn't looking to repeat my performance of the binding escape routine, I called an early end to my day which sucked because my daughter was still having fun and she's at the point where everything is really starting to click for her. (I didn't make her stop FWIW).

After returning home, I did some shopping around but because my gear is so darned old getting a simple replacement buckle wasn't really an option. Plus it seemed like a convenient excuse to update my gear, if only just the bindings. So fast forward to this week. The local outdoor store is having a 40% off storewide sale in their ski department. I'm milling around in the store looking at their display models, but not finding what I'm after (specifically a Burton model binding in which the release mechanism is both bomb and idiot proof). A store attendant finally asks if I'm finding what I need (they're super busy with the sale happening), and I explain to him what I'm looking for. After asking about boot size, screw pattern, etc. he disappears into the back only to reappear with exactly what I'm looking for. Last one in stock in my boot size, and at 40% off it's $80 off the MSRP. Basically it's a no-brainer; I won't see those kinds prices again until the end of next season. Sold.

So yesterday I get them mounted on my board. These things are cherry. Time to give 'em the ol' 'living room test'. I put my boots on, strap in … and one of the toe buckles is slipping on the ratchet. Like, I can barely tighten this thing before the ratchet starts slipping. It's pretty clearly a manufacturing defect. Shit. Now what did I do with that receipt? I told the lady to put it in the box. Nothing. I look everywhere, but that receipt is seemingly gone with the wind. Double-Shit. So I call the store and explain to them what's going on, missing receipt (at least the box is clearly marked with a price tag from the store), etc. So tonight the manager of their ski & snowboard department is going to be there, and the gal I talked to advised me to bring everything in to see what can be done. On the positive side she said the receipt isn't really that important (thank goodness for buying local). On the negative side … I know they were the last set in my boot size. If fortune smiles on me they'll have some replacement buckles on hand; if not … I'm not sure how they'll want to handle it. Wish me luck!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Swapping jobs soon and the site should not be blocked at the new office, so I will be back to annoying all of yall soon enough. I also wont be working 14+ hour work days every day of the week...
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I'm just done with real life people. I'll stick talk to family and on the internet, but I'm just done with people. They all suck, nobody cares about anyone else, and they'll use any excuse available to justify their behavior. Once I'm done with school, I'm moving out to the middle of nowhere to hide by myself until I die.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

Post by marurun »

Don't become another Unabomber. Nobody needs that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

marurun wrote:Don't become another Unabomber. Nobody needs that.

Geeze man. This guy’s clearly struggling but he didn’t make any threats. I think he’s here for support, and doesn’t need people assuming he’s a monster.

The unabomber had an extreme psychological study (read: torture) done to him that probably caused him to do what he did. He wasn’t just a depressed or lonely guy.

@Forlorn Drifter - People can suck sometimes. I hope you keep doing your therapy and can find some happiness.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I'm sorry, that response was glib. It didn't sound that rude in my head, but as esauced pointed out, in text it looks much worse. FD, you have my apologies. That was very unsupportive of me. I do really support you and I want you to be well. Some people actually gel OK with a more isolated lifestyle, but some don't. I do worry if you decide to isolate yourself it will only make subsequent interactions more difficult. With challenges like that, constantly engaging with things is often required.

I'm not going to edit or delete that post because otherwise it robs this apology of its necessity.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.