What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by MrPopo »

Get the sewer line inspected along with the standard inspection. It's not likely to have a problem, but problems with the sewer line are one of the worst to deal with; a literal fountain of shit in your front yard can happen.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Congratulations, Markies! That’s great news.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I broke 10,000 posts!!!!

YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!! :D
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I broke 10,000 post!!!!

Nice. Enjoy that feeling.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Markies wrote:I bought my very first house today!

:o :D 8) :) :shock:

Technically, they accepted my contract and I don't move in until the end of July and I still got the inspection I have to do.

But, if everything goes according to plan, I should have my first house.

A wave of excitement and fear is rushing over me at the moment.

More importantly, I finally have space for more games!!

Congratulations! I'm a little bit jealous, but someday I will own a home too.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I broke 10,000 posts!!!!

Quit spamming up the board! :wink:
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

samsonlonghair wrote:Congratulations! I'm a little bit jealous, but someday I will own a home too.

Only took me 6 years and 2 jobs to get it, so patience is a virtue!

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Congratulations, Markies! That’s great news.

Thank you very much!

MrPopo wrote:Get the sewer line inspected along with the standard inspection. It's not likely to have a problem, but problems with the sewer line are one of the worst to deal with; a literal fountain of shit in your front yard can happen.

My friend has roots growing into his sewer pipes and he had to clean all of that out. Took him most of the summer to do. It is an expensive problem!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Congrats, Markies!

Yeah a sewer/septic inspection is always a smart idea. My house has a type of tank I was wholly unfamiliar with, and the inspection tipped me off to the fact that there was a filtration system I needed to service annually.

Here's another unsolicited tip for you. Get some of these and put them behind/under every sink, toilet, wherever you have gaskets and threaded plumbing. One of these alarms literally saved my ass just an hour ago. My 20-year-old washing machine decided to start pissing out the back. Got to the puddle when it was only about six inches in diameter. Had I not been clued in, the entire load could have dumped gallons of water into my bathroom (and, subsequently, to my basement in the floor below). These mofos are lifesavers.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

No, I will take any advice anybody can give me.

I've lived in an apartment for 8 years, so I'm not exactly Mr. Fix-It. Though, I am very cautious with my stuff and I'm just one person, so I don't break a ton of things.

My friend is super handy and I know he is willing to help out. But, I am diving into a lot of this headfirst, so any help that anybody can offer, I'd be willing to take!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So something to be aware of is the inspection is going to come back with a lot of "problems". You're going to have to categorize these into "things that must be fixed as a condition of sale", "things I'll have to fix within a year or two", "things to be aware of", and "things that don't matter." For example:
  • The hot water heater is end of life. This should be a condition of sale.
  • The roof has five years left on it. Start squirrling away money now so you can replace it when the time comes.
  • The windows are single pane aluminum frames. You'll want to replace them with something newer and more energy efficient, but the timeline is pretty much up to you.
  • Not all the bathroom outlets have GFIs. It's a code violation, and it's a potential safety hazard, but you might not be worried in practical terms.
  • Your house is a split entry and the glass next to the front door isn't safety glass. Only an issue if a small child tumbles down the stairs and goes through the glass, so probably not worth fixing ever.

Your realtor will be able to help you categorize stuff.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Technically, this is the third house that I put a contract on.

The first one, the basement walls were caving into the house so water was getting in and was making the house structurally unsound. Somebody bought the house later, tore it completely down and built a new one on the land.

The second one, the electrical system needed a complete rewiring. It was outdated and not up to code. Along with a high price point at the time, I decided to pass. Two months later, my boss quit and I began to hate my job for about 18 months and then became unemployed for another 6 months, so that was probably a wise decision.

So, I am utterly terrified of the inspection. I am hoping and praying that everything is really good. It's a newer house (built in 96) and the previous owners took really good care of it. I have less worries than before, but I am still worried.

But, as long as they don't find anything terribly wrong with it, I'll be good. I know they will find stuff wrong with the house. It's just as you say, the degrees of severity and when it needs fixing.