What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

bmoc wrote:Windstream came out to my house and initially told me that they would be able to get me hooked up today. Shortly thereafter they sped off in their truck presumably to get some more cable. About 10 minutes later they call me and tell me that there is already an existing order to get "main line cable" extended to my house. I assume they intend to extend the fiber backbone further down the road rather than run coax 800ft to my house.

I asked if they had a timeline and he said that he wasn't sure. He thought it might be 30 days. I've dealt with Windstream enough to know that is code for "not happening anytime soon". :evil:

To top it off, it looks like Straight Talk is now inspecting packets for hotspot usage. If the TTL of your device doesn't match a phone, they throttle you down to about 0.5 Mbps. TTL is easy enough to change on a PC but all my other devices are pretty much screwed. I miss net neutrality already.

So I have purchased an expensive plan ($95 per month) from a 4G LTE internet provider. This particular provider can use Verizon towers which is the only major carrier that comes in well at my house. This ISP claims to have do data caps or throttling either. Reviews for them on the internet are all solid. They shipped the 4G LTE modem the same day that I ordered it so I'm getting good vibes.

Cross your fingers for me!

Fingers crossed!

I've been operating off of a 10GB within 3 days limit off of a hotspot myself for the past month. It sounds like your situation has been way worse for way longer though. I'm getting my fiber in on Monday, but I hope you get proper internet soon too!

-----

Flake and Gunstar convinced me to finally start watching Gundam, so I picked up the Turn-A Gundam blu-ray last month off of American Amazon on their recommendation. I finally sat down to start watching it and it is indeed VERY good! Good enough that I ordered the second half of the blu-ray collection on American Amazon in the middle of the second episode XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I've only seen the first three Gundam movies, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Wing, and Endless Waltz. I really should watch some more of them. What are the good ones on Crunchyroll right now?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

bmoc wrote:I've only seen the first three Gundam movies, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Wing, and Endless Waltz. I really should watch some more of them. What are the good ones on Crunchyroll right now?

I basically can't use Crunchyroll here in Japan ( :cry: ), but I'm not sure any are. Sunrise are very stingy when it comes to letting Gundam be on ANYTHING. At least they have been in the past :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

There are several Gundam shows on Crunchyroll at the moment.

Gundam Build Divers
Gundam Build Fighters
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin Advent of the Red Comet
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing & Endless Waltz

Iron Blooded Orphans looks like it might be good at first glance.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

bmoc wrote:There are several Gundam shows on Crunchyroll at the moment.

Gundam Build Divers
Gundam Build Fighters
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny
Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin Advent of the Red Comet
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing & Endless Waltz

Iron Blooded Orphans looks like it might be good at first glance.

Damn! And just when I've left the country and can't watch them anymore :lol:
From what Flake tells me though, Iron Blooded Orphans would be the best out of the ones on that list. He also says Seed is pretty good, if I remember correctly.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I've got to go through an ultimate Gundam (re)watch at some point. I know the UC stuff pretty well, but want to expand into the alternate continuities. But I also want to re-familiarize myself with UC before doing that. Turn-A Gundam looks especially good, though I won't be getting around to it anytime soon.

Of the shows on Crunchyroll, I'm under the impression that G-Gundam is the most highly regarded, but also the least Gundam-y. The Origin is probably a safe bet after that.
For my money, the best Gundam is hands-down 0080: War in the Pocket. Part of that's because I'm more of a Macross fan and they both have character designs by Haruhiko Mikimoto. But IMO that's the only Gundam that doesn't have a huge glaring flaw. It's not streaming but it's totally worth buying on disc from RightStuf!

I also made my first Gunpla recently! When I was in Japan in March I went to the life-sized Gundam/Gundam Front and picked up an exclusive Master Grade RX-78-2. I'm not sure if I'm ready for Master Grade yet, but I'm looking forward to putting that together!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'm alive! Been buried at work. Have only played maybe 3 hours of games in the past 2 weeks. Hoping I can change that tonight! ... that makes me smile. Playing through Halo Reach before I get into bad games for TR.

@bmoc, Do you work for an in-house IT staff or a VAR? Awesome idea on the splitting responsibilities. I hate being bugged when on vacation...

Good luck on the certs! What are tackling next there? I have 4 manufacturer specific certs for solutions that we carry, but am about to go through more of the vendor agnostic CompTIA stack. I'm on the front end architecture design and technical sales, versus implementation/procurement, but they'll still only help my long term plans.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Jagosaurus wrote:@bmoc, Do you work for an in-house IT staff or a VAR? Awesome idea on the splitting responsibilities. I hate being bugged when on vacation...

Good luck on the certs! What are tackling next there? I have 4 manufacturer specific certs for solutions that we carry, but am about to go through more of the vendor agnostic CompTIA stack. I'm on the front end architecture design and technical sales, versus implementation/procurement, but they'll still only help my long term plans.

In-house IT. I'll be taking on a server and network admin role. I'm planning on a few of the CCNA certifications. I know server stuff well enough already. I trained our last two server admins.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ticked off. This new place has poor sealant around the window panes and with the termite swarm in my area I have discovered this. If a room light is on they just start crawling under the glass pane and into the house. Also I have a rat in the house who has outsmarted me for 3 days now. I do not like these things.

Smiled. Went to see John Wick 3 today, so badass. I liked it more than part 2 and I'm excited with the way it ended.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

My Raspberry Pi 3 is dead. Ages ago there was a power outage and when the power came back on, the Pi stayed stuck on the rainbow screen when it boots up and I just now tried a fresh image. That didn't work. Guess I'm looking for a new emulation machine. Anyone recommend the Odroid? Which model? What about the NVidia Shield? ETA Prime keeps singing its praises.

But considering everything else in my life I'm not even gonna worry that much.