What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:So something to be aware of is the inspection is going to come back with a lot of "problems". You're going to have to categorize these into "things that must be fixed as a condition of sale", "things I'll have to fix within a year or two", "things to be aware of", and "things that don't matter." For example:
  • The hot water heater is end of life. This should be a condition of sale.
  • The roof has five years left on it. Start squirrling away money now so you can replace it when the time comes.
  • The windows are single pane aluminum frames. You'll want to replace them with something newer and more energy efficient, but the timeline is pretty much up to you.
  • Not all the bathroom outlets have GFIs. It's a code violation, and it's a potential safety hazard, but you might not be worried in practical terms.
  • Your house is a split entry and the glass next to the front door isn't safety glass. Only an issue if a small child tumbles down the stairs and goes through the glass, so probably not worth fixing ever.

Your realtor will be able to help you categorize stuff.

Popo nailed it. Great advice.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Markies wrote:No, I will take any advice anybody can give me.

Those water alarms are definitely good advice. I've been meaning to get a few myself.

Twice now, the hot water lead under my bathroom sink blew and started dumping full city water pressure into the bathroom. Luckily, both times I was right in front of the sink when it happened so was able to turn the shutoff valve off right away. But at my job, the same thing has happened twice in the past year and half. But they weren't so lucky and water wasn't shut off right away. The alarm wont help if you're not at home, but I would still feel safer with it.

Those stupid leads seem to break often, and it's not like you can buy better ones. I have an aunt and uncle that had their basement flood when they were in on vacation in Florida because the lead to their dishwasher blew. And that's HOT water LOL.

Knowing all of the above, I try to purchase the best looking leads I can find. But even then, I have half a mind to replace them all once a year, but that would be a pain in the ass and an extra yearly expense.

One thing I've took to doing is actually using the shutoff valve for the washing machine like you're supposed to. Every washing machine should have an easily accessible shutoff valve. They even make specialty valves that automatically shut off. The idea is you take the pressure off the hoses because they can eventually blow up. You don't use the shutoff valves for you bathroom and kitchen sink because you use them constantly and that would be annoying. But most people aren't using their washing machine that often. If you do wash one or even a few times a week, there's no sense of leaving the pressure on all the time.

Anyway, that's my bit of random homeowners advice.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

We had the inspection today and it went surprisingly well.

I am constantly waiting for the shoe to drop and it just hasn't fallen yet.

There was one minor thing that I could fix the first week of living there.
Another that I needed to think about in 5 years or so.

And then two issues that I will talk with agent about. We can ask for those to be fixed and that should be about it.

From the looks of things, it looks like at the end of July, I will be owning my first house!

:D
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

That’s great news, Markies!
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

:D I've been so busy with my basement, I forgot to mention that I finally have decent internet access at my home for the first time in 3.5 years! Windstream finally came through and got me hooked up last week with their cable internet. I got the 100Mbps package and when running a speedtest, it usually clocks in around 110Mbps.

I did have an issue with my Ubiquiti access point only dishing out 50Mbps. There were two problems. First I had to adjust the channel width on the 5Ghz band to the maximum (why isn't this the default setting?) and I had to get a better Power of Ethernet adapter. I was using a PoE adapter for an IP phone that I had laying around and it was limiting it to around 60-75Mbps. After getting the official PoE adapter for my access point from Ubiquiti, all was good.

I can't wait to start gaming online again!
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Glad all the house stuff is going so well, Markies! Achieving a personal dream is always such a lovely thing. Enjoy it. :)

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

:D I got to meet Elkin in person yesterday. We went to a game store, grabbed dinner, and talked about video games...a lot. He’s a super cool guy, and I had a great time. It’s always nice to meet fellow forum members face-to-face!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Got my taxes done for the first time in 5 years. There's a whole story there. Anyway...

:( Lost out on $600some from 2015 because I didn't file soon enough, not counting my 2014 returns.

But, between my 2016, 2017 and 2018 returns I got back...

:D :D :D a little over $2200!!

After paying back $700 in back rent, that still leaves $1500 to move to NYC. I'm literally closer to NYC that I've ever been!!

My current budget is still $3000, assuming I can find a room for rent for $700 or less.

I'm also working at least 70 hours a week and this upcoming week I'll be working 40 at Food Lion and 37.5 at Duck Donuts.

But it's not all good...

:cry: My brother and his wife are separated, and he's currently homeless. And recently lost his job. He claimed he tried to get a job at Food Lion (God knows that we need more overnight stockers, since aside from the students that can't work after midnight there's just me, my supervisor and a coworker), and I'm trying to get him a job at Duck Donuts. Also if I move to NYC I'm gonna try to get my landlord to let my brother move in here.

But wish me luck. I'll need it.

And wish my brother luck. He needs it more than I do.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

REPO Man wrote:Got my taxes done for the first time in 5 years. There's a whole story there. Anyway...

I want to know the story of why you didn't do your taxes for several years.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

MrPopo wrote:
REPO Man wrote:Got my taxes done for the first time in 5 years. There's a whole story there. Anyway...

I want to know the story of why you didn't do your taxes for several years.

Seriously? That's your takeaway?

Fine.

Back in 2014, when we were still living in Florida I worked at Disney World, though by March we were ready to throw in the towel and head back to North Carolina. But I wasn't able to resign in person, so I wasn't able to give them an address to forward any mail they'd send to me, i.e. my W-2 form for 2014 that I'd need in the following year.

I would get the form, however, after my uncle's fiancee found the number to call. She's actually been helping me a lot since moving back.

In 2016, when it was tax time and I had two years' worth of tax forms, my mom says her friend from work would do my taxes for free. Unfortunately shortly before my mom could ask her, her dog attacked my oldest niece, leaving my niece traumatized and wounded. And my mom and her friend at odds. By the time they came back to being on good terms, it was already the summer or fall. Between a new job and helping my great-uncle and great-grandmother (may they rest in peace), I obviously never brought it back up.

At least not until 2017 when I got my 2016 forms. But this is where things get repetitive.

First I'd get the needed forms, then I'd ask my mom to get my old forms that were still in her possession. But since the forms were stashed away in her car, she'd have to look for them.

Why were they in her car? The forms were in her possession since 2016 and since living with my brother's ex's grandparents doesn't afford her much in the way of personal space, her car became a closet of sorts.

And when I ask about them, she'd say she'd have to find them. Since her car is a bit of a clusterfuck, she'd naturally not be able to just grab them and hand them over. Throw in having to work basically most of her waking hours and spending the remaining time devoted to taking my oldest niece to her dance cheer practices or events (many take place over the whole weekend, give or take) and having to take her of her uncle and grandmother until her uncle's passing in 2017 (where shortly after my great-grandmother would be put into a nursing home since aside from me and my mom there wasn't enough people to care for her round-the-clock), and she'd have any and every excuse (and a few reasons) to find a few envelops somewhere in the trunk of her car where roughly 99% of her possessions were located in.

But by a few weeks ago, having given up for the year after she failed to produce the forms in April, I tried again, being much more persistent and finally she found them.

I then immediately got on the horn to my uncle's fiancee and told her. She snagged the forms and then I made an appointment with a local tax service to get my taxes done.

I was genuinely surprised that, ironically, I could have filed the forms I had after April (when it became too late to file the 2015 back taxes). But again, while that cost me well over $600 in potential tax returns, I cannot really be too salty since I still got back over $2200, excluding $20some in owed state taxes or the $200some I spent to file them (as opposed to shelling out an extra $40 to have it taken out of my returns).

And now I'm awaiting $2200 in returns, though only the returns from 2018 will be direct deposited. The rest will be mailed out as a check.

And after spending $700 to pay off my back rent, I'll be halfway there to meeting my $3000 budget. After that I'll have roughly three months to raise $1500. That's $150 a week! Naturally I'll try to sock away more, seeing as I'm averaging $500-700 a week working 70-80 hours a week.

Any NYC tips? Moving tips? Interesting hacks? How to find a room for rent? Best neighborhoods for cheap rent? I heard from two YouTubers I follow (Brett Conti and LivingBobby) that Chinatown has decent rent per room. Bobby showed a NOICE-ish Chinatown apartment with rooms costing $600 a month in this video