What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by samsonlonghair »

bmoc wrote:Glad to help. One other thing to consider is that most phones cap out at 8 connections to the hotspot feature. If you need more connections then you will need to setup some sort of bridge to another access point.

I have an old Linksys Wi-Fi router laying around and which has DD-WRT firmware installed. I'm using it in Client Mode to feed my Ethernet connections with internet from the hotspot (and subsequently a better access point which covers the whole house). https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/C ... e_Wireless

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm looking into a few options along those lines. I'm not sure if any of my routers support DD-WRT or not. I may not need to go that route, because I have a wi-fi repeater with ethernet out already handy. I think that's all I'm going to need. I have a few different options; one of them is sure to work.

By the way, which cell phone are you using with your straight talk account?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Right now I'm using an unlocked LG V20. The native hotspot feature works fine because it is not carrier specific. My last phone was a Verizon branded LG G2. I had to download a hotspot app for it to work on that one. It is called FoxFi. It cost $8 after the trial runs out.

I'll probably pick up a used G2 to leave at home if I make this setup permanent. It will be pretty cheap especially if I get one with a few dings in it.

Update 1/20/18:
I got a used LG G2 on eBay and tried using FoxFi again. It wasn't working for me. I'm not sure if that was due to the version of android it was running (4.2.2) or if carriers are getting wise to FoxFi now. I had to root the phone and install a hacked version of the native hotspot feature. Working well so far but it took me a few hours and lots of Googling to get it working as it was my first time rooting an android device.
Last edited by bmoc on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

bmoc wrote:Right now I'm using an unlocked LG V20. The native hotspot feature works fine because it is not carrier specific. My last phone was a Verizon branded LG G2. I had to download a hotspot app for it to work on that one. It is called FoxFi. It cost $8 after the trial runs out.

I'll probably pick up a used G2 to leave at home if I make this setup permanent. It will be pretty cheap especially if I get one with a few dings in it.

On that note, how difficult is it to switch phones on straight talk?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Not hard. You just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a SIM. Or you can order one on Straight Talk's website for $1. You just have to get the right SIM for your phone. CDMA vs GSM.

Then you go on their website to activate. You can call them if you need help setting up.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

:cry: My Internet and landline are getting shut off tomorrow, due to the bill not being paid. They kept charging fees for me not returning the cable boxes, even though I never received the boxes to send them back in.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

:? Bad case of being lonely, and I don't have anyone to talk to right now. My parents are wrapped up in dealing with my grandmother, and I don't want to bother anybody else during the holidays.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

Post by marurun »

Pop into the Slack channel and bother us!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

I'm not set up to use the slack channel

marurun

Post by marurun »

Racketboy.slack.com
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Sorry, I mean I haven't been signed up and don't know how. I can't seem to find the option. Anyways, I'm sure y'all don't want to hear my bitching and moaning in there.