What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:And any fridge made in the past decade will cost as much to repair almost as to buy a new one. It's kinda gross.

Not unless you know someone that can repair them. :D

Still have to pay for parts, and those are also ridiculous. My oven's igniter costs over $100 and replacements are only expected to last 2-3 years.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I have had better luck repairing some appliances than others.

We have a spare microwave in the attic, so both times we've had microwaves fail on us I've tried to fix them myself. Both times it ended up being the magnetron, which is almost as expensive as a new microwave, so I've just gutted them for cool parts and replaced them.

I have had reasonable success repairing washing machines, dishwashers, and treadmills.

One of the big problems with ovens and refrigerators is family/spousal approval. I have a lot more success repairing things I can work on in the garage, where noise is not an issue, that my family doesn't actively need to use in the next few days.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:Still have to pay for parts, and those are also ridiculous. My oven's igniter costs over $100 and replacements are only expected to last 2-3 years.

Well that sucks, but $100 every few years is still cheaper than buying a new oven.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:Still have to pay for parts, and those are also ridiculous. My oven's igniter costs over $100 and replacements are only expected to last 2-3 years.

Well that sucks, but $100 every few years is still cheaper than buying a new oven.

I misspoke, it’s $200. And about every 2 years for us so far. We have had appliance guys do it this far since we weren’t sure what needed fixing, but now we’ve been around a couple times we could probably handle it next time. I had to correct the repair guy. His LG app’s diagnostics code library was WRONG and I had to help him figure out what was actually wrong.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So $200 for the part, or the part plus labor? I'm guessing just for the part, since that sounds pretty cheap to also include labor.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

:D Got my Retroid Pocket 3+ today, two days earlier than expected! I only had a little bit of time with it before I had to go to work but so far, so good. I'm supposed to get my 1tb microSD card and HDMI cable for it tomorrow, which is when I'll start to load it up with ROMs and ISOs.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

L3&R3 - Nice! Android gaming hasn't been mentioned in a while, but I was happy to see that Sonic Runners has been brought back from server death. https://sonicrunners.com/#/
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer to load my new Retroid Pocket 3+ with ROMs since the 1tb microSD card and micro HDMI to HDMI cable will be a day late.

But I'm surprised just how many games I managed to stuff onto my device with just the onboard 128GB of storage. And the keymapper is a Godsend. I may be able to get Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies running without needing the touch screen controls.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

:D Got my 1tb microSD card yesterday and now I just gotta stuff it with ROMs

:( Couldn't get Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies to play nice with the keymapper. Same with Identity V.

:D Lots of games, however, do work well with the keymapper.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I know more about Repo's life than my own brother's.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread