What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by REPO Man »

:cry: I leave tomorrow and I still don't have a place lined up. It seems like every time I find a great place, most of the time someone else gets the room for rent. The rest of the time I'm turned away due to my lack of credit and/or employment lined up. Meanwhile the weather's fucked up, I still have to finish packing and it seems like I may not even be able to find a place. I'm tempted to just call it off and stay here for another year. But I'm worried that I'll never have the money again.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

:( I've decided to postpone my move again, this time by a week, but that's not set in stone.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I'm sure you'll be able to work things out. Possibly try applying for some manual labor jobs in the meantime, they can pay surprisingly well. (especially if its under the table.)

I didn't mention this like I meant to, but I met the entire Wu Tang Clan when I went to that show. GZA got me backstage passes as a favor and I went to the back after the show, along with my girlfriend to talk to him for a bit. Was kinda disappointing, we were the only people with backstage passes and the guards were rushing us out super hard. I did get to talk to GZA like I mentioned, but it was kinda awkward because of how hard they were trying to kick us out (and I was covered in beer that was spilled on me). Still got some stuff signed, got a pic with GZA and my girlfriend got a great pic with method man. Minor gripes aside, it was still a great night and I'm glad I got to see Wu live at least once.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Pissed: Those animals at Comcast took Turner Classic Movies off my cable package.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Golgo 14 wrote:Pissed: Those animals at Comcast took Turner Classic Movies off my cable package.

Get Ack to sort it out for you. :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Honestly, fastbilly and I have been discussing it. Neither of us know who made the decision.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ack wrote:Honestly, fastbilly and I have been discussing it. Neither of us know who made the decision.

Really? I was half-joking when I said "get Ack to sort it out," but now I'm genuinely curious.

Back some years ago circa 2003~ish I had a job working at Dish Network. The bigwigs in corporate had a standoff with Turner over money. Turner wanted to charge Dish Network one amount; Dish Network wanted to pay Turner another amount. I was never privy to the numbers, but I'm sure it's more money than I've ever made in my whole life. The two companies refused to compromise, and for a solid month no Dish Network subscribers could watch Cartoon Network, Boomerang, CNN, TBS, or any other Turner channel. This was a lose-lose scenario. Dish Network lost subscribers; Turner lost viewers (and potential ad revenue from those viewer numbers); viewers lost access to some of their favorite channels; and I lost my flipping mind dealing with irate customers all day long. Eventually the two sides negotiated a new deal, and everyone went back to business as usual. This issue with TCM reminded me of that ordeal.

I just looked up TBS's wiki page and saw this:
On March 4, 2019, AT&T announced a major reorganization of its broadcasting assets to effectively dissolve Turner Broadcasting System. Its assets are to be dispersed across multiple units of WarnerMedia, including the newly-created WarnerMedia Entertainment and WarnerMedia News & Sports. WarnerMedia Entertainment would consist of HBO, TBS, TNT, TruTV, and an upcoming direct-to-consumer video service (led by former NBC entertainment chief Robert Greenblatt), while WarnerMedia News & Sports would consist of CNN, Turner Sports, and the AT&T SportsNet regional networks (which would be led by CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker). Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, and Turner Classic Movies would be moved under Warner Bros. Entertainment via the new "Global Kids & Young Adults" business unit. Although AT&T did not specify any timetable for the changes, WarnerMedia had already begun to remove references to Turner Broadcasting in corporate communications, with press releases referring to its networks as being "divisions of WarnerMedia".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Br ... ing_System
marurun

Post by marurun »

They are trying to remove Ted Turner from all the stuff he helped create. Ah well. At least my high school will still get a big chunk of his money.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

samsonlonghair wrote:
Ack wrote:Honestly, fastbilly and I have been discussing it. Neither of us know who made the decision.

Really? I was half-joking when I said "get Ack to sort it out," but now I'm genuinely curious.

Back some years ago circa 2003~ish I had a job working at Dish Network. The bigwigs in corporate had a standoff with Turner over money. Turner wanted to charge Dish Network one amount; Dish Network wanted to pay Turner another amount. I was never privy to the numbers, but I'm sure it's more money than I've ever made in my whole life. The two companies refused to compromise, and for a solid month no Dish Network subscribers could watch Cartoon Network, Boomerang, CNN, TBS, or any other Turner channel. This was a lose-lose scenario. Dish Network lost subscribers; Turner lost viewers (and potential ad revenue from those viewer numbers); viewers lost access to some of their favorite channels; and I lost my flipping mind dealing with irate customers all day long. Eventually the two sides negotiated a new deal, and everyone went back to business as usual. This issue with TCM reminded me of that ordeal.

I just looked up TBS's wiki page and saw this:
On March 4, 2019, AT&T announced a major reorganization of its broadcasting assets to effectively dissolve Turner Broadcasting System. Its assets are to be dispersed across multiple units of WarnerMedia, including the newly-created WarnerMedia Entertainment and WarnerMedia News & Sports. WarnerMedia Entertainment would consist of HBO, TBS, TNT, TruTV, and an upcoming direct-to-consumer video service (led by former NBC entertainment chief Robert Greenblatt), while WarnerMedia News & Sports would consist of CNN, Turner Sports, and the AT&T SportsNet regional networks (which would be led by CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker). Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, and Turner Classic Movies would be moved under Warner Bros. Entertainment via the new "Global Kids & Young Adults" business unit. Although AT&T did not specify any timetable for the changes, WarnerMedia had already begun to remove references to Turner Broadcasting in corporate communications, with press releases referring to its networks as being "divisions of WarnerMedia".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Br ... ing_System

Yeah, I've spent the last six months in a corporate malaise as they get it all sorted. Cartoon and TCM still don't know what they're doing. We got our official WarnerMedia rebranding last week, though we're still dealing with the difficulties of integration for things like our email system. We're also working on our streaming service, which is causing all kinds of new teams to have to work together that have never done so before.

As a result, I genuinely don't know who would be making decisions about pricing and bundle tiers, though I can tell you it isn't TCM; they wouldn't make such a decision at this time due to the ongoing internal confusion. Fastbilly is over at Comcast, but he's not on that side of the company, so all we can do is speculate.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Back in business. Been a crazy month or so with work & family. Finally surfacing for air. Got over strep throat & sinus infection. On the upswing. What's good gents?

... Halloween time...

Glanced quickly & saw TR thread. Is the annual Halloween thread happening?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5