What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by Xeogred »

Nah man... don't risk it. Get your data off those drives and don't use them again!
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

It'd really come back to why it failed in the first place. If it was purely an issue with the filesystem, then it might still have plenty of life left. I'd say after you're sure you have whatever you can pull from it copied elsewhere, do a write-zeroes format so that it touches the entire drive. Then do full scans on it. If it all comes back good, then it's likely fine. Can always use it for less important things or something.

Big thing is that important data should be truly backed up - multiple copies on multiple devices. Not saying you are, but I've just seen too many people treat external drives as backups, even when they hold the only copy of the data on them. That ain't a backup.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You also want to check the SMART diagnostics on the drive, and see how they match up after zeroing and doing a full surface scan of the drive. I would not use it for backups any longer, but you may still get some use out of it. Just make sure whatever you use it for is temporary in nature and for stuff you're OK losing or are backing up elsewhere as well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I had to go chew out one of the substitute teachers who's in the school today. She's covering for an English teacher, and several of my fourth period students are in that class third period. She tried to tell a couple of the Hispanic kids in the class to stop speaking Spanish in class; she doesn't have the right to compel a child to stop speaking his or her native language under federal law. I don't tolerate civil rights violations.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Michi wrote:Thank you everyone so much for all the great info! I'm going to have to write all this down for future reference.

After two scans with freebee version of Disk Drill (and some 20+ hours later), it looks like it found all my lost stuff! It also looks like it found a bunch of junk (how does it find over 9TB worth of info on a 1.5TB drive? Weird.) But the important thing is, my pictures look to be all safe and sound, which is what I was really concerned about in the first place. Thankfully, my new 4TB backup arrived on time yesterday (which I guess was one day to long to wait for the 1.5, but I digress), so I'll be working on trying to get everything onto that.

So my next question is, is it going to be safe to use the 1.5 drive again? Am I going to have to reformat it in order to use it again once I get everything off it, or is it just too risky to use it again?

If you can't tell, I haven't had a drive fail on me like this before, so I'm not sure of the safest course of action.

Thanks again.

I'm happy for you, michi! That must feel like such a relief. :D

I wouldn't trust the old drive for anything mission-critical in the future. Yes, you're probably going to be reformatting the drive before you do anything else with it.

Here are a couple options:
-If you want to keep a second or a third backup copy of your files there, I guess that's fine. Just don't make it your only copy.
-Copy files here when you need to walk large video files from one computer to another.
-Scratch drive for rendering videos or large photoshop files. Scratch drives tend to wear out a bit faster than others due to constant re-writing, so you might as well run an old drive that's already on its last legs. Note: a USB scratch drive isn't the fastest way to go, but what do you have to lose?
-a bootable "just in case" recovery drive. Format it Mac OS Journaled, and install OS X on there. If there's ever a time in the future when your operating system on your primary hard drive should fail to boot, you can use the "just in case" drive to boot your computer. Note: This should not be your only way to access your computer in case of failure.
-Give it to the next friend who asks to "borrow" a usb drive without ever intending to return it. :lol: Note: Don't really do this; it's a jerk~ish move.

One last thought: Look into a cloud-based backup storage solution.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

We all had a good laugh at this Yakuza 3 reviewed by actual high ranking Yakuza bosses in the Slack chat the other day. I figured I'd share it here too, because Xeo HAS to read this if he hasn't already XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:We all had a good laugh at this Yakuza 3 reviewed by actual high ranking Yakuza bosses in the Slack chat the other day. I figured I'd share it here too, because Xeo HAS to read this if he hasn't already XD

"Two of the three are missing their pinkies"

"S: Not much of a tattoo.
K: Only on his back as far as I can tell. Maybe he ran out of enough money to get it finished"

"Translation: I feel sorry for the people who bought the American version. SEGA USA sucks."

:lol:

Glad Yakuza 0 was uncensored. And yeah I guess this is all a testament to the series' accuracy, I do think some of the staff have real yakuza connections or something haha.

This is amusing too:
http://i.imgur.com/XmvEeUZ.png
https://twitter.com/zeppelichi/status/8 ... 8181127171
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Dude! I wanna play Yakuza 0 SO bad now!
The guy in the upper right of the Imgur image, and the lower left of the Twitter pic plays the villain in one of my favorite Japanese movies!
It's called Tokyo Tribe. It's on Netflix, and it's basically if Streets of Rage were a movie where all the lines were rapped. The English subtitles are done by a huge fan of American hip-hop and holy shit does it show. If you like anything Yakuza, colorful, violent, or Japanese in your movies, you GOTTA check that shit out.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That guy was a big deal in Yakuza 0 haha. That move sounds fun, maybe I'll check it out.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Xeogred wrote:Glad Yakuza 0 was uncensored. And yeah I guess this is all a testament to the series' accuracy, I do think some of the staff have real yakuza connections or something haha.

Japan lacks conspiracy laws of the sort that allow other countries to go after organized crime, so the police really don't have many tools to use to go after them. The Yakuza are indeed very well-connected as a result. Konami's founding family is rumored to be involved with the Yakuza, and given how their company has doubled down on gambling machines that would make a lot of sense since the Yakuza are often involved with various forms of gambling. Sega is also in that business, so I suspect they do have connections. I don't know how well-studied the Yakuza are in Japan, but the book Tokyo Vice is all about them. You can bet someone at Sega read that book.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.