Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Tank Controls

by J T Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Ivo wrote:True tank controls would be if, to move forward, you had to push a Left and a Right stick upwards. To turn you would push just the reverse one up (i.e. push up on right to turn left) and add pushing the other down to turn faster and turn on the spot (i.e. push up on right AND down on left to turn to the left quickly without advancing). That's great controls for tank games IMO.

I love this kind of tank control- vindicators, Katamari Damacy, etc. I don't know why more games haven't utilized this control scheme on dual shocks.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:08 pm

J T wrote:
Ivo wrote:True tank controls would be if, to move forward, you had to push a Left and a Right stick upwards. To turn you would push just the reverse one up (i.e. push up on right to turn left) and add pushing the other down to turn faster and turn on the spot (i.e. push up on right AND down on left to turn to the left quickly without advancing). That's great controls for tank games IMO.

I love this kind of tank control- vindicators, Katamari Damacy, etc. I don't know why more games haven't utilized this control scheme on dual shocks.

Ape escape; certain levels you drive a tank like Vindicators and other levels a Robot like Virtua on.
I wish there were a lot more games like this too ..........
My favorite all time dual stick is Robotron.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Apparently I'm a little late to this discussion, but a search for Onimusha related articles included this.
I definitely agree with anyone who says that "tank controls" (as they are known to gamers) and fixed camera angles go hand in hand. Recently I've been playing the Onimusha series (I tried Genma Onimusha for the oXBox some years ago but didn't appreciate it at the time) and I thoroughly played 1 and 2 and am on my second playthrough of 3 currently. With Onimusha 3 they offered the option of full analog control. This is neat when you're just running around, but as stated by someone else, as soon as the camera angle changes, so does the directional input (which sucks). I found that the "tank controls" were perfect for the series. With the lock on and dodge mechanics it felt really natural once I learned to appreciate the combat system. However, the analog control in 3 is very tempting and has lured me away from the still available digital "tank controls" and I can still hang, but the combat loses a certain strategic element. Now instead of advancing, sidestepping, or retreating while locked on, I can just move in any direction. Thing is, the character moves faster with the digital controls when locked on to enemies, but I have to remind myself to use them.
In regards to classic Resident Evil games, I second with the fellow (I forgot who...) who won't play them any other way. They are absolutely part of the experience and work just fine when you get comfortable with them. I have to add tho that when a 180 turn was included it made things better. But, the tension of back pedaling to give yourself just enough room to squeeze off one more round is awesome. RE is a fantastic series. Here's to Capcom for 2 phenomenal series' that include "tank controls".
I feel compelled to tell anyone who didn't play RE or Onimusha because of the controls to give 'em another shot. The controls work and are part of the experiences, respectively.
Haoie
128-bit

by Haoie Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:23 am

I like them - With fixed camera angles anyway.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever