Tank Controls

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
joehero
32-bit

Re: Tank Controls

Post by joehero »

CRTGAMER wrote:For me it wasn't the camera angle but if the game character is say facing to the right, you still have to push up to move forward. Real pain to stop, turn, move, stop, turn and move again.

I posted a work around for on the first page, look for the pic of the chair tank. (I would love one of those)

I agree as for Asteroids, "Tank Control", really is the way to play that Arcade classic. No control pad just buttons.

Exactly describes my frustration. It goes against everything that seems right.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I thought this might be a good place to ask.. Is Deep Fear worth playing?
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Pulsar_t wrote:I thought this might be a good place to ask.. Is Deep Fear worth playing?

If I had a Saturn I would buy it.

According to Wiki its an underwater habitat Resident Evil:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Fear

joehero wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:For me it wasn't the camera angle but if the game character is say facing to the right, you still have to push up to move forward. Real pain to stop, turn, move, stop, turn and move again.

I posted a work around for on the first page, look for the pic of the chair tank. (I would love one of those)

I agree as for Asteroids, "Tank Control", really is the way to play that Arcade classic. No control pad just buttons.

Exactly describes my frustration. It goes against everything that seems right.

I guess TANKS for the CONTROLS.

Do you have one of those older controllers to try my fix?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

fingersmaloy
64-bit

Post by fingersmaloy »

Pulsar_t wrote:I thought this might be a good place to ask.. Is Deep Fear worth playing?

Heh, I've actually been playing thru it recently. It's funny you asked this because I saw this thread and was going to post about the fact that in Deep Fear, you can choose tank controls or non-tank controls, if you've got the 3D Nights controller. HOWEVER, it was this game that made me realize that games of this genre with these wild, fixed camera angles NEED the tank controls. I played the first few hours of Deep Fear with non-tank controls until I got fed up with the directions constantly switching. You'd be running up, but then the camera angle switches and suddenly up is down and you run back the way you came, then back again. Before I knew it, I was CHOOSING the tank controls of my own volition. Crazy.

But anyway, it's cool that the game offers both. It's pretty damn forgiving in general, as these old survival horror games go. Ammo is always available at set locations on the map, via these lockers that have an infinite supply. Health is also available at set locations in infinite quantities.

The game also uses a "finite amount of air" system since it takes place underwater, and I can't help but feel like it was probably an enormous inspiration for Dead Space. This is also carried out in a very well-balanced way, creating tension without frustration.

ALSO, you can run while you have your gun out, unlike in the early RE games, and you can save as many times as you want, without hunting for damn ink ribbons.

Finally, the cutscenes are brilliant.
My game-related blog.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Your post has piqued my interest in this game! Arigato :wink: Btw anyone here tried Cold Fear? I found its controls more forgiving than Resi4's, but the game itself was just average.

Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I wasn't ever bothered by tank controls. I mean geez the first Resident Evil game I played was the gamecube remake, I got used to the default controls after playing for just a few minutes.

In a wierd sort of way, I prefer it actually.

Anybody else get a real kick when people say Resident Evil 4 was the only good game in the series because it "didn't have tank controls"?
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

True tank controls would be if, to move forward, you had to push a Left and a Right stick upwards. To turn you would push just the reverse one up (i.e. push up on right to turn left) and add pushing the other down to turn faster and turn on the spot (i.e. push up on right AND down on left to turn to the left quickly without advancing). That's great controls for tank games IMO.

As for these so-called tank controls (left-right rotate, up or a button to advance) they are great for games like asteroids, and generally any "view from the top" game including top-view racers (Micromachines). Depending on the specific perspective they can work well in 3D games. Little Big Adventure is an example, and the perspective is fixed.

Alone in the Dark (which is very likely a main inspiration for RE) used them and it was ok, even though it had some changes of "camera angles". The real problem is probably more of the combination of camera angles with these controls than a problem with the controls themselves. If in RE you had a camera angle from above, I'm not sure you would prefer to press right and move right as in that case it would be harder to aim.

In Alone in the Dark and LBA the controls worked well. But I never really played RE. If there is a change in camera angle midway and you are moving forward, what would happen with other types of controls? You would change direction with the change of the camera? That doesn't seem good either.

Ivo.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Honestly, I think the tank controls are necessary in the early Resident Evil games based upon how they did their design. Let's compare the two big games that had prerendered backgrounds: Resident Evil and FF7. RE used tank controls, FF7 used your standard controls. There is one very large difference between them, though. In FF7 there is always a screen transition before they change the camera angle (aside from the occational pan, but that is immaterial). In RE when you're going through a U shaped hallway there are three camera angles as you traverse it, with instant switches between one and the next. If you used absolute controls you would easily find your players in the situation where they're holding down right to start moving, then they reach the camera switch and now holding down right causes them to move back to the previous screen (as the camera is on the opposite side of your movement path). With tank controls you can just remember what the map looks like and hold down forward to keep going character forward and avoid that problem.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Pulsar_t wrote:Your post has piqued my interest in this game! Arigato :wink: Btw anyone here tried Cold Fear? I found its controls more forgiving than Resi4's, but the game itself was just average.

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed Cold Fear, though I realize it's thoroughly average. Still, the game did have some memorable moments for me. I remember the first time I fought one of those zombies, and he kept getting up. I put him down about three times, and he got up each time. Finally I got pissed, put him down a fourth time, and then shot him in the head. Twice. He didn't get back up. From that point on, every zombie I put down got one in the dome.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

the fixed camera angles is the only bad part.

prolly why i only beat re cv
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.