Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

by noiseredux Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Is anyone else watching the new season of Jessica Jones? I am eight episodes in, and so far it is really solid.

actual conversation that happened this week:

me - Oh shit, Jessica Jones season 2 came out!

my wife - Nice!

me - But I never even watched The Defenders.

my wife - I can't believe you didn't yet.

me - There's just not enough time to keep up with all these shows!

my wife - Maybe if you played less Overwatch...
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:04 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Is anyone else watching the new season of Jessica Jones? I am eight episodes in, and so far it is really solid.

I was pretty busy last weekend at open houses; my plan is to binge it this weekend.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 am

I have watched the first two episodes, which is sort of odd after having read Alias, since it's back to the version of Jessica Jones that doesn't cross over into much of the rest of the Marvel universe (and is stuck with gritty reboot Hellcat instead of the fun Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat in the more recent comics...as a stand-in for Carol Danvers...).

Seemed decent so far though.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:20 pm

marurun wrote:Wait, what? It’s a smart... monitor? Weird shit, man!

I have 2 of these smart monitors in my home. Here is Houston, PS Vue gives me all the main locals via their OTT Internet TV service. I then get PBS, PBS Kids, & CW free from respective apps. Before I signed up for Vue, I was using a small $35 OTA RCA box with HDMI out that acted as an DVR as well on one of these sets (no built in tuner).

Well we binge watched both seasons Stanger Things. As a fan of the super natural, horror, the 80s, & The Goonies... this was right up my alley. Mrs. Jago can handle most super narural horror in small doses, but isn't a horror fan at all. She even loved it. Highly recommended, but I'm sure most on this thread have seen in. I'm behind the times.

Noise, it did cut into my Dead Rising 2 play through so understand the Overwatch dilemma!

My new "TV" addiction is The Oath .

The Oath (TV Series Trailer)
https://youtu.be/gqLnWxzNqf8

This was just released last Wednesday. What's interesting is this one is free on Sony Crackle. App is on Roku, Android, Apple, etc. It's their free streaming app (not the paid OTT PS Vue) with ads that play. It's an exclusive series to the platform. They're starting to produce original content like Netflix.

This 10 episode is a gritty crime drama about cop gangs. Based loosely on the experiences of a real cop who was in such an outfit. 50 Cent is an executive producer. Ryan Kwanten (Jason Stackhouse from True Blood) & Sean Bean (LOTR, GoldenEye, National Treasure) are part of a solid cast. I recommend this to anyone who is fan of shows like The Wire. Get through episode 2. E1 was okay, but it picks up. I'm E7 of 10 and enjoying it.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:27 pm

noiseredux wrote:

actual conversation that happened this week:

me - Oh shit, Jessica Jones season 2 came out!

my wife - Nice!

me - But I never even watched The Defenders.

my wife - I can't believe you didn't yet.

me - There's just not enough time to keep up with all these shows!

my wife - Maybe if you played less Overwatch...

I skipped Defenders, and since it does not impact the storyline in any way, my not having viewed it has not impeded my enjoyment of the second season!
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:36 pm

I was starting to feel a bit burned out on these Marvel Netflix shows. I watched Jessica Jones and both seasons of Daredevil, but only got halfway through Luke Cage and never got around to the Defenders. I thought the second season of Daredevil was pretty mediocre and i was enjoying Luke Cage more than it but just had enough of the dark superhero show for a while.

That said, the first season of Jessica Jones was my favorite of all the Marvel shows I watched, and I will try to make time for the second. The only thing I’m worried about is the lack of Kilgrave. He was my favorite part of Season 1. Kingpin was my favorite part of the first season of Daredevil and I thought the show went really downhill without him; I really don’t want to have the same thing happen here.

Is anyone watching Season 2 of The Tick? I really enjoyed the first season. Man, it’s hard for me to find time to watch all these shows. My wife doesn’t tend to enjoy superhero stuff. We tend to watch comedies together.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Kilgrave is probably the vilest, most terrifying villain in the MCU, and I really didn’t expect season 2 to top him. Season 2, smartly, goes in a very different direction:

It doesn’t even have a villain!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:04 am

I mentioned The Oath (trailer) a few post back. I blew through all 10 episodes in 3 days. This wrapped up VERY well. This may not be True Detective, but it is up there with Season 2 of The Wire and much better than Season 5. Considering it is streaming free on the Sony Crackle app, I can recommend it even more due to the cost of entry being zero. Get to at least episode 3 and it finds its footing. Also, be aware the violence does crank up quite a bit later in the season if that happens to not be you or your significant other's cup of tea.

Looks like I am 3 episodes behind on Season 4 of iZombie. Any one checking out this season so far?

Regarding the Marvel Netflix shows, I really enjoyed Daredevil, but just haven't been impressed enough with trailers or feedback to invest the 50+ hours in Jessica Jones, Cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders. I do fully intend to watch The Punisher at some point.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:03 am

Jagosaurus wrote:
Looks like I am 3 episodes behind on Season 4 of iZombie. Any one checking out this season so far?

I am a huge Veronica Mars fan and really enjoyed Season 1 of iZombie, but I felt like Season 2 went a bit off the deep end with the over the top drama and mayhem. Did it regain form in Season 3 or is it still super dark?
marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:42 am

The first season of Daredevil was the most watchable of the Marvel Netflix stuff I've seen thus far. The action scenes were great. But Jessica Jones does the best character stuff and storytelling. It's also painful to watch at times due to just how dark and hopeless everything seems for so much of the first season. It would be hard for me to go back and rewatch. It was hard to watch in the moment on first viewing. But I'm glad to have seen it because it was such quality work.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever