So what have you guys been watching lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ack wrote:
REPO Man wrote:I'd prefer the story of a young(ish) artiste struggling to find his fortune and his tribe in New York City.

It's been done. Repeatedly. I'm bored of the NYC story. There are other parts of the US.

If anything, it should be the other way around. Young artist comes to New York, realize rent is too high to dedicate all their time to the arts, so they take a creative marketing job at some firm and slowly morph into their parents, except without the financial ability to buy a house in the suburbs. They also realize that the options NYC has to offer means they'll forever be passing on imperfect dates hoping to land the perfect one, only to find themselves bored and alone at 40, hitting up an ex who moved to Texas with her boyfriend and is now pregnant.

It's far, far truer than anything you'll see on TV.

REPO Man wrote:
Ack wrote:
REPO Man wrote:I'd prefer the story of a young(ish) artiste struggling to find his fortune and his tribe in New York City.

It's been done. Repeatedly. I'm bored of the NYC story. There are other parts of the US.

But how many feature a high-functioning autistic gay man who likes slasher movies, old French films, Japanese tokusatsu, Magic the Gathering, retro video games, and making his own ice cream?

You're not special. There are thousands of people here just like you, who like exactly what you like. Take a number and join the hustle if you want, but paradise beckons not.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I can one up you with that :P a clinically insane pansexual who likes early CD-ROM games, power electronics and noise music, and watches movies that came out on tv in 1994 in Bulgaria that someone ripped into a VHS, uploaded it on the internet, and someone made fan English subtitles of. If I can find people to click with, AND feel at home in a government-based city, then you'll find your place in your city as well.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Just make buble boy 2 for Pete's sake lol.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I'm honestly surprised a reboot of this wasn't made yet lol
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Watched a few episodes of "Steven Universe" today. I just finished "The Question" a little bit ago.

Also, is it weird I've considered doing an SU gag dub where Blue and Yellow Diamond are voiced by Beavis and Butt-head, respectively, complete with the latter's vernacular?

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I'm honestly surprised a reboot of this wasn't made yet lol

This whole 10 year scenario of a boy trying to get across the country and leave a podunk town just gives me those vibes man. Or joe dirt, take your pick.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

stickem wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I'm honestly surprised a reboot of this wasn't made yet lol

This whole 10 year scenario of a boy trying to get across the country and leave a podunk town just gives me those vibes man. Or joe dirt, take your pick.

Yea that trope was huge. It was the other way in the 90s lol the "rotten city kid" going to the country
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Yep, guilty pleasure, son in law. And i hate pauly shores comedy. As a person he seems cool as fuck though.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

The only way my moving to NYC would be akin to Bubble Boy or Joe Dirt would be if I rode my bike there.

I checked and it'd be 603 miles and take 52 hours.

I figure if I leave at 6am, stop for an hour at noon, and ride from 1pm-7pm, that's 13 hours a day. That'd take 4 days total, though that doesn't take into account the fact that there's no guarantee that whatever town I'm in at 7pm would have a motel. Also the 52 hours is an estimate provided by Google Maps, and with my average speed being 7-10 mph, it'd take 60.3-86.15 hours. And my speed also fluctuates with the wind speed and whether I'm going into or against it.

So realistically it'd take me up to 1 1/2-2 weeks.

Also there's meals, lodging, bike repairs, traffic...

But at this point, if it gets me to NYC, I'll take it! Hell, I might even live stream the whole thing. Maybe even raise money for charity. Or do it like a group event and get folks from all over to participate.

But then that all I'd be is the guy who rode his bike from North Carolina to Times Square.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'm seeing more Peewee Herman, but maybe that's just me.