So what have you guys been watching lately?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I am curious to see the cyberpunk show Spicy City. It is only 6 episodes so I might see some very soon and get back to you on my opinion.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

o.pwuaioc wrote:I accidentally a word. I meant to say cyberpunk, not steampunk. Oops.

LOL

That’s a different thing! I can’t help you there.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:I accidentally a word. I meant to say cyberpunk, not steampunk. Oops.

Are you interested in more classic cyberpunk, or more the transhumanism it turned into later (but which was always a part of the original)?

I mean, Robocop (old and new) and Blade Runner (old and new) both do cyberpunk elements really well. Edgerunners on Netflix is something that hews closely to something adjacent to the video game and the old (and new) tabletop RPG. The best anime version of cyberpunk is probably the classic Bubblegum Crisis, which for me encapsulates the late 80s view of cyberpunk. The original AD Police is also pretty good in this regard. The newer AD Police and Bubblegum Crisis 2040 stuff is decent, but not nearly as good. Bubblegum Crash, which is an immediate sequel to the original Crisis is not as good but still OK.

There's also some old and more recent live-action TV content that might fit this bill, and it's mostly based loosely on Philip K Dick stuff. Total Recall 2070 is pretty cheesy but has cyberpunk elements. Also, Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime is an anthology series that dips into cyberpunk themes.

Thanks. I liked old Robocop and Blade Runner (though I had trouble getting into the new Blade Runner for some reason). Edgerunners I did not like. I don't play the game, so maybe certain elements are lost on me, but it's actually what I had in mind when I mentioned a bunch of overdone tropes. Of the anime stuff, I've watched and like Ghost in the Shell and Akira, for what it's worth.

I'll take a look into Total Recall 2070 and Bubblegum Crisis.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I personally enjoyed the OVA Cyber City Oedo 808. It's a rather short series, consisting of three 45-minute episodes.

Also, Genocyber, Silent Mobius (I've only seen a few episodes, though) and Armitage III.

As for non-anime cyberpunk shows, Batman Beyond is an excellent cyberpunk animated series. I'd definitely recommend Batman Beyond if you're trying to introduce your kids, or your niblings if you're in the same boat as me, to cyberpunk works since it's dark and mature while not being too much for younger viewers.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Thanks Repo, I'll take a look at those, too.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Started watching the new Shogun series, as well as Blue Eye Samurai. Blue Eye Samurai is excellent. I got about halfway through Shogun's first episode and felt like I had to stop and re-watch it as there's a lot going on there. Cultural differences, religious battles, samurai codes of honor, Japanese voices with subtitles along with English spoken dialog that is actually Portuguese dialog, etc. Seems like a good show, but one that will require my full focus and attention to keep up with everything that's going on.

REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Anyone watch "Quiet on Set"?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

REPO Man wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:15 pm Anyone watch "Quiet on Set"?
I did, and it was deeply, deeply upsetting. Nickelodeon was my entire childhood after school growing up, and I was horrified to learn the depths of abuse those kids suffered.

If y'all haven't seen the Fallout series, go watch it. It's utter Fallout perfection.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

The discourse surrounding Fall Out has been fascinating. Some people are saying that they were surprised at how good it is. Others are saying it is yet another disappointing adaptation in a long line of recent ones. Like certain online circles I follow that tend to agree on most things are divided on this one.

I have no dog in this fight as I haven't played the games, but I may watch it out of curiosity.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

REPO Man wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:15 pm Anyone watch "Quiet on Set"?

the shows they are focusing on was past my viewing age, i was the You can't do that on Television and Double Dare era. Pretty messed up what those kids were subjected to. I didn't know the fat kid of Head of the Class was a big wig for Nickelodeon or did anything after his series.
Last edited by stickem on Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.