Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

by Sarge Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 am

That's what caused me to drop Jessica Jones around episode 4. Just not my thing. I remember having to drop Battlestar Galactica for a time as well because it got so bleak.

Daredevil is still my favorite of the Netflix Marvel shows.

Anyway, I finally found something else the right length to watch while I'm on the elliptical: Superman: The Animated Series. I missed out on a lot of these when they came out, so being able to watch them now is pretty great. Of course, the Batman series before it and Justice League after it were also amazing.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:10 pm

ESauced wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:
Looks like I am 3 episodes behind on Season 4 of iZombie. Any one checking out this season so far?

I am a huge Veronica Mars fan and really enjoyed Season 1 of iZombie, but I felt like Season 2 went a bit off the deep end with the over the top drama and mayhem. Did it regain form in Season 3 or is it still super dark?

I'm also a huge Veronica Mars fan. No secret around here. I've been thinking of reading the official books.

I actually made a "Video Games in Veronica Mars" thread a few years back you might find interesting:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48243
(need to replace those photos)

Yeah, Season 3 of iZombie is more craziness. Some of the storyline is going in a circle IMO. The show is no Veronica but it's entertaining. Mrs. Jago really likes it, and it's a nice show for us to watch together. There was a very VM moment in S3 complete with music & voice over. Can't help but think it was an intentional throw back.

Did you ever check out Rob Thomas' HBO series Party Down? That's another good one. Only 20 episodes but funny and has VM actor cameos. Dick is one of the main characters.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Yeah I love Party Down. I actually watched that series before I’d even heard of Veronica Mars.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:49 pm

I was pretty lukewarm on the new series of Jessica Jones. Kyrsten Ritter is still great in the role but I felt everything else was just inferior to last season: worse villain, worse love interest and worse structure. It's also clear they didn't have anything better for Jeri and Malcolm to do so their sidequests are essentially divorced from JJ. Psycho Patsy is a let down as well, not sure I entirely buy into her story arc.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:I mentioned The Oath (trailer) a few post back. I blew through all 10 episodes in 3 days.

Regarding the Marvel Netflix shows, I really enjoyed Daredevil, but just haven't been impressed enough with trailers or feedback to invest the 50+ hours in Jessica Jones ...

The Oath sounds pretty great, I'll have to look into that!

Dude ... if you have any interest whatsoever in noir stylings, Jessica Jones (S01) is one of my absolute favorite interpretations of neo-noir. Likewise if you're a David Tennant and/or Doctor Who fan (D10 natch), he absolutely crushes it in this performance. The trouble is that he plays the villain so well, I wasn't able to go back and watch the tenth Doctor in quite the same way for some time afterwards! Major points for creep factor! I know some folks found it to be too dark, grim & gritty, etc. but if you're not averse to that sort of thing it really is one of the masterworks in the (extended) MCU (IMO, etc., etc.).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:23 pm

nullPointer wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:I mentioned The Oath (trailer) a few post back. I blew through all 10 episodes in 3 days.

Regarding the Marvel Netflix shows, I really enjoyed Daredevil, but just haven't been impressed enough with trailers or feedback to invest the 50+ hours in Jessica Jones ...

The Oath sounds pretty great, I'll have to look into that!

Dude ... if you have any interest whatsoever in noir stylings, Jessica Jones (S01) is one of my absolute favorite interpretations of neo-noir. Likewise if you're a David Tennant and/or Doctor Who fan (D10 natch), he absolutely crushes it in this performance. The trouble is that he plays the villain so well, I wasn't able to go back and watch the tenth Doctor in quite the same way for some time afterwards! Major points for creep factor! I know some folks found it to be too dark, grim & gritty, etc. but if you're not averse to that sort of thing it really is one of the masterworks in the (extended) MCU (IMO, etc., etc.).

The Oath feels "TNT" at first, but quickly moves into more of a "FX meets HBO" vibe. Not that violence, language, or sex are needed to make a show but they crank it up. It's a show about dirty cops. The PG13 angle can only bring the story so far effectively. It adds to overall lifestyle these guys are living and makes the show feel more real.

I wanted to spread the word on this one as it seems to be going under the radar. It deserves a season 2!

I've had several people tell me I'd like Jessica Jones. Bc I trust you guys, I'll commit to watching the first few episodes once I catch up on iZombie :)
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 pm

The first season of Jessica Jones is the best marvel show period.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:13 am

noiseredux wrote:The first season of Jessica Jones is the best marvel show period.

You know I agree with you! The second season isn’t quite as good, and I didn’t expect it to be. It is still quality TV, however, and my wife absolutely loves it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:21 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
noiseredux wrote:The first season of Jessica Jones is the best marvel show period.

You know I agree with you! The second season isn’t quite as good, and I didn’t expect it to be. It is still quality TV, however, and my wife absolutely loves it.

I just spent all day marathoning season two, and honestly, it's super hard to pick between the two. Kilgrave is fantastic, but season two might have actually had the better story in my mind. Certainly the character development was phenomenal. Either way, both seasons are the two best Marvel shows.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 am

Anyone else watch Nightmare High on Netflix?

It's this really cool horror miniseries from Korea. It's only 12 episodes long, each episode being 13-21 minutes long.

It starts off like a typical teen drama, until a substitute teacher shows up offering counseling. In each story, told in two parts, a student is offered a solution to their problem, but after sampling the item's power must sign a contract (which ends the first part). In the second part we see the overall effect.

In the first story, a bullied girl uses an enchanted seating map to change a person's friendship with someone else. Basically, she draws a line between two students and that establishes a friendship between the two. Conversely, she can also cross out that line and the person gets ignored. She uses this to cause everyone in her class to ignore a girl that bullied her, and to make everyone pay attention to her.

Each subsequent story follows a similar format, Faustian pacts and "monkey's paw" logic in tow. A boy wants to win a fight and gets a chance to restart from a given point each time he loses, but soon gets stuck having to win each fight he gets a win. He also has to fight previously won fights. Another boy struggles in his studies and is granted a soft drink that makes him an academic powerhouse... at the cost of his own memories. A girl uses a smartphone app to enhancer her appearance. Another girl gets a journal that alters reality.

It's very "Twilight Zone" with a sprinkle of Degrassi, albeit Korean with a Faustian vibe.

I strongly recommend bingewatching this.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever