Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: So what have you guys been watching lately?

by Stark Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:43 pm

I only watched one season of Enterprise, but hearing it had time travel has one of the main elements makes me want to watch more of it. :lol:
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:22 am

I believe I've said it elsewhere on here but if you don't care the serious take on star trek that is discovery, and you are looking for something more like TNG era Trek....then watch Seth McFarlane the Orville.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 am

strangenova wrote:I believe I've said it elsewhere on here but if you don't care the serious take on star trek that is discovery, and you are looking for something more like TNG era Trek....then watch Seth McFarlane the Orville.

I second this. The Orville is basically just a lighthearted Star Trek. It’s not laugh out loud funny too often, but it’s charming and fun.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 am

ESauced wrote:
strangenova wrote:I believe I've said it elsewhere on here but if you don't care the serious take on star trek that is discovery, and you are looking for something more like TNG era Trek....then watch Seth McFarlane the Orville.

I second this. The Orville is basically just a lighthearted Star Trek. It’s not laugh out loud funny too often, but it’s charming and fun.

I stopped watching after episode 3 or 4. The episode with the pseudo cult. Worth me finishing season 1?

The male on male marriage & sex change episode was odd. I felt the writers were trying to make some kind of political statement which isn't why I tune into Sci Fi or comedy. I'm not homophobic, it just seemed very out of place. Did any one else think so? The episode overall was also just a weak one compared to the others. Maybe I should mark that down as a one off missed mark?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 am

If you made it through the first four episodes and still didn't enjoy it then it might not be worth your time to finish it jag. And I'm on the opposite fence about the particular episode you mentioned. I felt thats were this show really began to find itself.

The first two episodes were enjoyable but this episode decided to draw parallels with society and still bring the shows charms with it. To be fair a lot of great star trek episodes were the ones that drew parallels with society at the particular times they were being aired.
marurun

by marurun Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:I felt the writers were trying to make some kind of political statement which isn't why I tune into Sci Fi or comedy.

Socio-political commentary is the bread and butter of sci-fi. It’s why many intellectual types flock to it. Star Trek and Babylon 5, among others, are steeped in it. Methinks you’ve mistaken sci-fi for another genre?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Of course I understand society parallels and even predicting future issues. This one just seemed a bit more blatant for my taste. Very "let's make a gay marriage baby" episode versus thought provoking. I didn't see the point. It seemed more like an agenda than substance.

Saying that is why so many folks are into sci fi is making an assumption about a huge audience base. It's definitely not the main draw for me. If it fits into the tone, pushes the plot, and is well done, then it makes sense.

I think sci fi books are much better at this. 1984, Brave New World, & 451 immediately come to mind as prime examples of addressing society issues well.

Maybe I just found it a bit "heavy" compared to the rest of the source material here. Very left field from the show tone up to that point (at least 4 episodes in).

I read at least a few other similar comments about that episode on other boards as well. Maybe it's just a polarizing episode.

ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm

That wasn’t the first time that character had been established as gay though. It was established and referenced in every episode up to that point that his species was all male and he had a husband.

I get that the episode was definitely heavier but it didn’t seem poorly done at all. And it wasn’t about gay marriage in any way; it just happened to have those characters in it.

I would agree with the other poster that that episode is where I felt the show had found its identity and turned a corner. If you didn’t enjoy it then the show probably isn’t for you.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Yeah, to that point the references had been much lighter such as "where does the egg come out?". I laughed out loud at that.

A 44 minute episode mostly revolving around a baby sex change within a gay marriage was a giant leap from the previous references. It seems out of place in my eyes (with 4 episodes as a reference).

I liked the other 3 episodes. I may finish the season & see if that one is an outlier for me. On paper.. space exploration with a bit of dry humour and witty character dialog should be right up my alley.

NotLuke
24-bit

by NotLuke Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:40 pm

The Olympics. Lots of it. Always enjoyed women's figure skating. Seriously, they are phenomenal athletes.

This gal might get some creep-os along with her predicted gold medal if she ain't safe.

Hoping Bradie Tennell can also medal as I'm quite fond of her abilities on the ice.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever