Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by ExedExes Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:28 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:A bump of a really great Guide (In the OP) lost in time. Maybe a Mod can move this Thread out of the Whatever Section and into the Guides Section? :idea:

My launch SNES (20 years old!) is SO yellow -- it would be worth a try for me to do this! Is it hard to separarte all the computer-y parts from the plastic SNES case? After opening up my Dreamcast to try to rescue it, I'm more than willing to do this here too.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:33 pm

ExedExes wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:A bump of a really great Guide (In the OP) lost in time. Maybe a Mod can move this Thread out of the Whatever Section and into the Guides Section? :idea:

My launch SNES (20 years old!) is SO yellow -- it would be worth a try for me to do this! Is it hard to separarte all the computer-y parts from the plastic SNES case? After opening up my Dreamcast to try to rescue it, I'm more than willing to do this here too.

It's not hard at all. There's plenty of good Youtube guides on how to do it. You'll need the 4.5mm security bit (or the pen melting trick... It's not like security bits are expensive) and once you're inside a philips to take all the motherboard screws out. Just make sure you remove the pin connector first, and the eject button is a little tricky if you don't know what you're doing. Though, I tried doing Retr0brite and it didn't go so well for me. Maybe it wasn't sunny enough, but I also had trouble keeping the plastic submerged in the solution. I'm going to try it again, but use the gel mixture instead.

While you're in there, you can also take out the region tabs that prevent you from playing SFC games!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Don't forget that Racketboy sells security bits.
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:Don't forget that Racketboy sells security bits.

Sure, I was just linking the cheapest one from a reputable site that I've seen recently. The length of the Kitsch-Bent bits may be an issue when disassembling the SNES, I got mine from Amazon myself.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:56 pm

I got a really nice bit on eBay for $4 including shipping.

Super nice job too! That SFC looks beautiful. I'm jealous. It really is a cool looking console! None for me, though. I'll just keep using my American model.

I want to do this on my NES but would it wear off the red paint on the front cover?
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever