Game you LOVE that everyone else HATES

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Game you LOVE that everyone else HATES

Post by dsheinem »

Thought I'd flip around the question posed here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15193

I have expressed elsewhere my love for sports games (including Madden!) and recently wrote about my new-found enjoyment of the Halo series...but these are hugely popular games that, outside of most gaming messageboards, are hardly "hated." So that is not the kind of game I mean...

Is there anyone out there who loves the green haze of Superman 64? Is there anyone who enjoys chasing Elliot around in E.T.? Does anyone want to gush over Marky Mark's Sega CD game? Any closet Petz fans?

Two games that come to mind for me are a couple of Genesis titles that have been pretty well panned by critics and hated by genre aficionados: Pit-Fighter and Fighting Masters. I don't know why, but something about the stereotyped characters in Pit-Fighter really appeal to me - the game has a "so bad it's good" kind of feel for me. I recognize its shortcomings but really enjoy it anyway.

I'm even more in love with Fighting Masters, a game that I feel was truly innovative for a console fighter. It was originally released in 1991, a few short months after SF2 hit the arcades (so it would have been in development as Street Fighter II was rolling out). Until SF2 hit the console a few years later, Fighting Masters was always my go to head to head fighter. I found the story and characters to be interesting, thought that controls and moves were ahead of their time, and enjoyed the general creativity in the game. Even though most people I know laugh it off as a relic of SF2-clonitis (which it is not!), it is certainly true that the game has not aged well. Nonetheless, it saddens me that there was never a sequel...

Anyway, anyone want to show some love for a game that is broken, despised, discarded, misunderstood, etc.?
Last edited by dsheinem on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Game you LOVE that everyone else HATES

Post by Luke »

I don't get the E.T hate, I loved the game as a kid. I played it a few weeks ago, and the controllers are a little wonky, but it's not that bad of a game. Don't love it, but I don't think it is as bad as everyone says.

Here we go though: I love Sewer Shark. Love it. From the acting, to shooting the tubes, I love all of it. It's fun, challenging, and entertaining.

I'm also a Pit Fighter fan, Genesis only though.
fingersmaloy
64-bit

Post by fingersmaloy »

I'll defend the new Bionic Commando to the grave. I guess some people liked it though.
My game-related blog.
Pingfa
64-bit

Post by Pingfa »

Weaponlord for Genesis

Sure, it seems impossible at first but once you've sussed it out it isn't so hard. Besides, how many good Fighters are there on the Genesis?
Other than Weaponlord, Samurai Shodown and Street Fighter II are the only ones I like - I don't rank Street Fighter II as highly as the other two, though.
Ack

Post by Ack »

dsheinem wrote:Two games that come to mind for me are a couple of Genesis titles that have been pretty well panned by critics and hated by genre aficionados: Pit-Fighter and Fighting Masters. I don't know why, but something about the stereotyped characters in Pit-Fighter really appeal to me - the game has a "so bad it's good" kind of feel for me. I recognize it's shortcomings but really enjoy it anyway.

Try it on the SNES. It will make the Genesis version seem even better.

I actually kinda like Battleblaze. I panned it when I wrote that article about the five worst SNES fighting games, but I just feel there's so much there that could have been done well that it just bugs the crap out of me.

I also really like the Dynasty Warriors games. Yes, I know it's the same thing over and over again. That doesn't stop me from buying them and maxing everyone in it...again.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Luke wrote:Here we go though: I love Sewer Shark. Love it. From the acting, to shooting the tubes, I love all of it. It's fun, challenging, and entertaining.
Dude (yeah, I'm a bit drunk and high...), I LOVE Sewer Shark. It's probably because it came with my Sega CD I got way back in '93, but I think it's awesome. Dog Meat.

My game is Saint Dragon on the PC Engine/Turbographx-16. Most people on message boards say this game is okay, but nothing great. Well, I think this game rocks. The music is awesome, and I love being a giant mechanical dragon with a huge tail following me while I shoot stuff. I first played this game on an arcade machine in a bowling alley back... I don't know, probably '89 or '90 and sitting right between R-Type and Bad Dudes. It was so cool when I was a kid, so I love it now.

Same with Golden Axe, which is my other game that people say is mediocre, but I think is awesome. I have memories of playing this around the same time period as I mentioned above in a local Mexican restaurant. Golden Axe was actually the first arcade game I ever beat. Lots of quarters in that machine.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Ack wrote:I also really like the Dynasty Warriors games. Yes, I know it's the same thing over and over again. That doesn't stop me from buying them and maxing everyone in it...again.

Same here. I got DW6 last night and was hoping for improved visuals but the game felt like a PS2 release with the obligatory HDR shininess. They can improve the series in a hundred different ways but I still enjoy playing their rehashed games. I wonder whether I should get Gundam 2 as well.

Breetai wrote:Same with Golden Axe, which is my other game that people say is mediocre, but I think is awesome. I have memories of playing this around the same time period as I mentioned above in a local Mexican restaurant. Golden Axe was actually the first arcade game I ever beat. Lots of quarters in that machine.

Golden Axe was quite popular afaik. Everyone had it back then.

I am a sucker for the Aerodancing games. Pity Sega doesn't do them anymore. I also play train simulations which are unpopular by nature. Oh and Killzone was one of the best PS2 fps games, given the platform's technical limitations.
Last edited by Pulsar_t on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Pulsar_t wrote:Golden Axe was quite popular afaik. Everyone had it back then
But "everyone" also says that it's mediocre. I played through it just last week and I still think it's awesome.

Mind you, nobody HATES it... but I do love it more than most so I still think it has a place in this thread.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Personally I admire the System 32 Golden Axe sequel. Pity they never made any home conversions though (MAME ftw!)
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
IcKy99
Next-Gen

Post by IcKy99 »

i guess im a closet Dogz fan. i used to play Dogz alot when i first got a computer, i thought it was fun to torment the little fuckers with water bottles and toss them around