Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean

Will Spore be the greatest game ever or be an absolute flop?

Greatest game ever!
No votes
Biggest flop ever!
No votes
I'll wait until it comes out before deciding
100%

Total votes : 5
Niode
Next-Gen

Spore - Greatest game ever?

by Niode Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:30 pm

Spore is the brainchild of The Sims creator Will Wright. The game basically gives you control over the evolution of a single cell organism right the way through to planet conquering ultra beast! I thought it was way too ambitious when it was first announced but this demo is very impressive. It still begs the question of what the goal will be at the end of the day. What do you guys think? Will check it out or do you reckon it will fall flat on it's arse?

Spore Demo Video

The video is about 35mins long so if you're on dialup or slow cable i'd give it a miss. It's quite entertaining though and had me laughing at several points though!
ravenmgs
24-bit

by ravenmgs Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:20 pm

Well, it allows you make your own 3D models bassically. I really don't see how they could make a 3D character creation system easy enough to the point joe gamer could do anything with it. If this thing does work as advertised it will be a whole lot more then just a game, I don't think it will work though and will suck.
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:24 pm

Yeah that's exactly what i thought. It's like Kids-Bryce.....

If there is a game applied to it eventually then i think it will do well. Without a game, it becomes sort of an education package. Which will not sell well.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:00 pm

fixed your link for you :)
no quotes are needed on the URL
lunar
24-bit

by lunar Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:19 pm

I hope this turns out well, hardly any upcoming PC games that I'm interested in (no more FPS!!).
Conn
24-bit

by Conn Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:33 am

I dunno. I watched for 7 minutes but didn't find it too entertaining. It seems that the organism seems to evolve or something by collecting/eating/attacking some stuff.. which reminds me of Katamari. Maybe the game will be like Metal Gear Solid, and end up being a breathtaking experience. But who knows. For now, I remain extremely skeptical.
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:16 pm

@RB: I'm used to HTML! These BBcodes are really annoying.

I still have my doubts. I can't wait to see it though. If it works it'll be great i'm sure. BUT only if the game part of it is upto scratch. ATM the seperate evolutions/sections just aren't cohesive. Seems like one minigame after another strung together with a bit of a model editor strapped on.
ravenmgs
24-bit

by ravenmgs Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:46 pm

It's way beyond brice, brice is just a displacement map based program, this is looking to do with big packages like 3DSMAX and MAYA do only on a level that a typical gamer can understand.
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:09 pm

Hmm i suppose. I meant by the fact that bryce is a relatively easy to use 3d program!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:48 pm

devilmyarse wrote:@RB: I'm used to HTML! These BBcodes are really annoying.

Sorry :) Most message boards don't allow html.
Makes it too easy for some people to post some really screwy stuff.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever