Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: Re-Organizing the Forum Categories? Thoughts?

by MrPopo Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:28 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:I know people wont like this but I am a fan of member only sections.

One forum I frequented for many years had a restricted forum. I still don't know all the details behind it, but essentially it started off as some kind of great idea but it quickly was given up on, leaving this forum with the description "Top Secret" that ever so often would start some drama. Having an invite-only forum strikes me as being devisive.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:30 pm

While reading Mozgus' goodbye thread, I was also thinking that some more stickies for constantly reoccurring questions would be a good idea. I know I probably still qualify as a noob to some, but even I was a bit annoyed by how many DC and Saturn burning threads were started in the past few weeks, and then proceeded to post to burn at 4x in every single one of them. :wink:

Per someone's earlier suggestion, I dont think a BST for each console would be a good idea, as it would just clutter up things and make it harder for sellers to remember to update all of them. However sell threads might be better if they get locked once all items are sold and/or move everything into a new thread once they get to a certain length instead of having super long threads where you have to jump from the first post with the info back and forth to the last few pages to see recent posts from people.

That's all that jumps to mind at the moment.
Pookie
32-bit

by Pookie Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:32 pm

I have always liked the way this forum was organized:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:I know I probably still qualify as a noob to some, but even I was a bit annoyed by how many DC and Saturn burning threads were started in the past few weeks...

I think if someone put together a definitive tutorial thread for burning and sticked it to the top, we would stop a lot of bullshit posts.

Hobie-wan wrote:Per someone's earlier suggestion, I dont think a BST for each console would be a good idea, as it would just clutter up things and make it harder for sellers to remember to update all of them. However sell threads might be better if they get locked once all items are sold and/or move everything into a new thread once they get to a certain length instead of having super long threads where you have to jump from the first post with the info back and forth to the last few pages to see recent posts from people.

Yeah. Buy/sell should let the original poster lock them at any time. I agree with not breaking it up too. If i have a lot of stuff to sell, i want to list it all at once, ya know?

I also don't really agree with the post count to sell in buy/sell trade. I would like to encourage sales like this and that won't happen with a post limit. Maybe a post limit or contact a mod? I don't know if that would be too much work for the mods though.

OH! and can we have an ebay promotion forum as well as a buy/sell forum? I HATE getting into a buy/sell for something i'm looking for and seeing that it is posted on ebay. Or maybe no ebay at all rule?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:07 pm

posted this in the wrong thread...here goes again:

I've always been a proponent of splitting the "Whatever" forum into two foums:

"General Gaming (anything that doesn't fit neatly elsewhere)"

and

"Off-Topic (anything not games - politics, careers, relationships, etc.)"

You could probably also get rid of the Old-School Gaming news forum as those topics always seem to come up in the Whatever or on the respective console forums anyway. It's a pretty ripe place for redundancy.

Otherwise, the current list of forums seems to work work well as all of them stay pretty active.

I've also suggested we need a FAQ and some rules in the B/S/T forum in order to better maintain that place. We've had extensive discussion here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10495 and on a few other threads (e.g. here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15343).

Since I've probably been the most vocal, I'd be happy to create some kind of FAQ/guidelines, but I'd want any ideas I included in it to be approved by you and/or the mods before going up. Just let me know.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:58 pm

I agree with everything dsheinem has said.

We should have a separate area for PC games because well, the topics are scrambled between General, Sony and Microsoft and Other Platforms. I'm aware that they should go to "Sony and Microsoft" but it's kind of confusing.

I don't think private boards are the way to go, they don't work well in practise.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Boaradoor
24-bit

by Boaradoor Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:00 pm

You should have to be at least 8 or 16 bit before you can create a new topic!
Just my input! I like the idea of separating the buy/sell thread into one without ebay promotion!
Life is as good as your game!
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:04 pm

Boaradoor wrote:You should have to be at least 8 or 16 bit before you can create a new topic!
Just my input! I like the idea of separating the buy/sell thread into one without ebay promotion!

Thats what I meant by private boards... Sorry if I made it sound like hidden forums (I reread my post and that is what it sounded like) but I was trying to get at post restrictions, but all can view.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Ack

by Ack Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:35 pm

dsheinem wrote:posted this in the wrong thread...here goes again:

I've always been a proponent of splitting the "Whatever" forum into two foums:

"General Gaming (anything that doesn't fit neatly elsewhere)"

and

"Off-Topic (anything not games - politics, careers, relationships, etc.)"

You could probably also get rid of the Old-School Gaming news forum as those topics always seem to come up in the Whatever or on the respective console forums anyway. It's a pretty ripe place for redundancy.

Otherwise, the current list of forums seems to work work well as all of them stay pretty active.

I've also suggested we need a FAQ and some rules in the B/S/T forum in order to better maintain that place. We've had extensive discussion here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10495 and on a few other threads (e.g. here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15343).

Since I've probably been the most vocal, I'd be happy to create some kind of FAQ/guidelines, but I'd want any ideas I included in it to be approved by you and/or the mods before going up. Just let me know.

Dsheinem has been championing at least a few of these ideas for a while, and I can agree with them. Sometimes I wonder if we have enough genre-specific forums, though I generally wonder what we would add if we did. Perhaps an "Adventure" section or something of the like, but truthfully Fighters, SHMUPS, and RPGs are what many of us play the most or are the most dedicated to. And since many of us are collectors, these tend to be the most collectible genres. I also noticed that, while they can get pretty active, they do go through periods of downtime, some of which is related to how active a game-release season is.

I do wish we had more survival horror discussions about the more obscure games, but I really like the genre and finding new ones I haven't heard of before.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
bobbynewmarkiii
128-bit

by bobbynewmarkiii Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:47 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:Maybe put minimum post counts on certain forums. I know this can be done in phpbb - Ive done it. Its configured in the members/group privilege.

I didn't like this bit ^^^

I've been a member for more than 18 months, and, whilst I don't consider myself a model member, have less that 400 posts to my name, and believe in quality rather than quantity. With respect - and with notable exceptions - some of the people with a high initial post count are the type that put other people off becoming constructive site members. I am concerned that special privileges for high volume posters would only incentivise such members.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever