Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Re-Organizing the Forum Categories? Thoughts?

by racketboy Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm going to talk later about a more high-level vision for getting this community back to its former glory, but I though I would bring up this one thought first...

What do you guys think about re-doing some of the forum categories.
I'm wondering if we had more practical organization, we could have more appropriate sticky posts and such to avoid re-occurring topics and such.

I've always kinda feared having TOO many categories to wade through, but maybe this place has gotten to big and we really need it in order to find anything.

Do we need like separate forums for each of the major platforms, for example?

Thoughts?
fox099
64-bit

Re: Re-Organizing the Forum Categories? Thoughts?

by fox099 Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:59 pm

I think breaking up the forums into the manufacturer of consoles and as a sub-forum, the specific console. This will better focus the forum as well as making results better to find. Do this for the major consoles, and give other, lesser consoles (Neogeo, 3DO, etc) their own section all together. Also, a section to each genre (adventure, rpg, shump, etc), as already exists, should stay.

I think more controls should be put in place for the Buy/Sell/Trade forum as well. By imposing a minimum of 100 posts before you can post to the BST area, it will ensure that sales are by our peers and not new sellers trying to make a quick buck. Furthermore, it will decrease the number of crappy posts.

Dont know if that helps but I hope it does! Best of luck in these hard times.
Consoles Owned: Nintendo SNES, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GBA, Sony PSX, PS2, PS3, Sega Master, Microsoft XBox
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:02 pm

fox099 wrote:I think more controls should be put in place for the Buy/Sell/Trade forum as well. By imposing a minimum of 100 posts before you can post to the BST area, it will ensure that sales are by our peers and not new sellers trying to make a quick buck. Furthermore, it will decrease the number of crappy posts.

I would like something similar -- I just need to find out how to pull that off with phpbb.
If anyone knows, lemme know.
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:05 pm

I definitely like the idea of breaking up the company forums into console forums. Also, maybe add a few more genres?

Also, while I can't help you with phpbb, I'll throw in another vote for the BST idea. Maybe it doesn't have to be 100, but 50 would be good enough for me.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:06 pm

racketboy wrote:
fox099 wrote:I think more controls should be put in place for the Buy/Sell/Trade forum as well. By imposing a minimum of 100 posts before you can post to the BST area, it will ensure that sales are by our peers and not new sellers trying to make a quick buck. Furthermore, it will decrease the number of crappy posts.

I would like something similar -- I just need to find out how to pull that off with phpbb.
If anyone knows, lemme know.

I think you can set it so that groups will automatically promote after x number of posts. So if you set the permission masks of <100 post members to forbid topic creation in B/S/T, and promote them to Member + or something with the appropriate permission mask, it should work.

I've only done this crap in Invision and Zetaboards, so I'm not sure. Just a thought.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Having an FAQ page for each forum subsection would be good. It could be a list of common questions/answers and pointers to key threads/topics for further info.

Personally, I don't have any issues with the current forum threads/topics except for perhaps excessive (daily?) bumping of some threads in the BST forum. I just click on new posts and read the ones that I'm interested in.

I'm not against any changes either.
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:17 pm

You're probably already considering this, but I think we need at least one "read here before posting" sticky. Might save us a few headaches in the long run. Also, I think that really popular topics (like what was the last movie you saw, video game finds of the day) should be stickied.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized that my idea sounds almost exactly like gtmtnbiker's. So maybe consider this another vote for that idea.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:27 pm

I know people wont like this but I am a fan of member only sections.
Many forums have hidden forums that only people with a specific rank can access. This is most commonly done with moderators.
Maybe put minimum post counts on certain forums. I know this can be done in phpbb - Ive done it. Its configured in the members/group privilege.

I used to be part of a forum about underground hip-hop and its was bought out by another site. Many of the OGs of that board got our own forum hidden from the rest - it was OG or invite only. One of the dudes I met there flys to Ohio from California every year to participate in our Fantasy Football draft.

So my suggestion is rewarding those who positivity contribute with a forum, or access to other forums. I think the download, emulation, and BST forums are a privilege - thats how I got my invites to private sites.
I also like the idea of doing subforms e.g. Have a Gamboy, NES, SNES, etc under the Nintendo forum. This also can be done in phpbb2... not too sure about 3.

Nick, I have a phpbb forum of my own (2 of them) if you need help figuring something out let me know and I can play with my forums and help you figure out stuff for yours.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Maybe go for an SMF format.

I like the idea of breaking the main categories into console specific threads, and then break those down further.

Example= Dreamcast Thread
1) General discussion
2) B/S/T
3) News
4) Help
and so on...

NES Thread
1) General discussion
2) B/S/T
3) News
4) Help
and so on...

I also suggest a "High School Parking Lot Thread" that is reserved for when people get into arguments that allows mods to move said silly arguments from getting in the way of a valid thread.
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Luke wrote:I also suggest a "High School Parking Lot Thread" that is reserved for when people get into arguments that allows mods to move said silly arguments from getting in the way of a valid thread.

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever