Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: The Death of DVD

by Luke Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:10 pm

fast wrote:My RCA Video Discs will live forever. Yall just dont understand.

Lollerskates.

Star Wars on Laserdisc is a sight to behold.
manaman
8-bit

by manaman Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Hatta wrote:I don't think the future of DVD is blu-ray. I think it's flash media. 8 gig of SDHC still costs about $15, but it's rewritable, and prices will drop fast. It won't be long until optical media is a thing of the past. I wouldn't be surprised to see cartridges make a comeback in the next couple generations of consoles, but download only seems more likely. Still, I think DVD has been ubiquitous enough that in 20 years it will be a lot easier to get a DVD reader than it is to get a Beta player today.

Hmmm,

That's an interesting thought and one which my nostalgic self would be okay with seeing pan out. I always did like cartridges. Their only shortcoming back in the day being their limited storage capacity compared to cheaper mediums at the time. Maybe you're right--now that production costs are falling for these other storage devices, they may be more viable solutions. Plus, they have the advantage of being able to easily improve through the life of one generation. More space for that Final Fantasy game? No problem, we have the 250 GB SD right here.

Now the future of gaming's problem is going to be the time commitment of games. I'd rather play a dozen great classics than one okay 120 hour epic!

Peace,

manaman

PS: I would agree that VHS has had a bigger impact on personal media than DVD--if only because it was so revolutionary and because it still is re-recordable. DVD-RW's need not apply.
fast
Next-Gen

by fast Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Dont knock it Luke, Ive got that aswell. Along with Duck Soup on both...
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:52 pm

fast wrote:Dont knock it Luke, Ive got that aswell. Along with Duck Soup on both...

You are an extraordinary person with extraordinary taste.
fast
Next-Gen

by fast Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Ill be extraordinary if I ever figure out why your pc is powering up nightvision.
Ack

by Ack Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:02 pm

Luke wrote:
fast wrote:Dont knock it Luke, Ive got that aswell. Along with Duck Soup on both...

You are an extraordinary person with extraordinary taste.

You don't know the half of it. If you'd heard some of the stories I've heard about the folks fast knows and has known, your head would spin. He's a geek monolith, hidden away in the middle of nowhere.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
hiphophead34
24-bit

by hiphophead34 Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:13 pm

I think DVD will be around a long time still because the rest of the world will not catch on to blu-ray until much later, if they do at all. Also, unlike VHS, DVD's are backward compatible. There isn't one blu-ray player on the market that doesn't play DVD's. It's not going anywhere for a really long time.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

by Inazuma Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:28 pm

DVD was the last good physical media. Bluray was obsolete before it came out. I can see all TV's in the future including USB ports so we can just plug in flash drives and portable hard drives to run our media off of.

I don't own a single Bluray movie despite owning a PS3. The PS3 can stream media off my computer and also run it off a burned DVD. Why in God's name would I need to buy a movie on Bluray when I have a PS3?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm

I'm finally starting to warm up a little to digital downloads as far as Movies and Games. I still feel very empty buying them though, I guess I will always have my wonderful CD collection though. I guess I'm just nervous that for some reason it won't stay around. I keep forgetting that its not 2004 anymore, when it was risky to sign up for a digital service, also when I first got my Steam account.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:03 pm

I think that ultimately blu-ray will come into place. It just needs to get cheaper and more mainstream before the general public will want to bother with it. Also after all nonHD tvs break and are replaced with HDs.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever