The Death of DVD

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: The Death of DVD

Post by fastbilly1 »

Coconut Water is something different than Coconut Milk though. But we will get way off topic if we venture into food. Lets get back to DVDs.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Inazuma wrote:You know what this reminds me of? "Soy Milk". People often call it soy milk, even though it's not milk. It looks like milk and is commonly used as a substitute for it, but that doesn't make it genuine milk. Same with coconut milk. Unless your soybeans and coconuts have nipples on them, call them what they really are. Soy Water and Coconut Water seem like better terms to me.

Ah, but Steven Seagal has nipples, and from them flows forth his milk.

See, here it is:

pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

Ack wrote:
Inazuma wrote:You know what this reminds me of? "Soy Milk". People often call it soy milk, even though it's not milk. It looks like milk and is commonly used as a substitute for it, but that doesn't make it genuine milk. Same with coconut milk. Unless your soybeans and coconuts have nipples on them, call them what they really are. Soy Water and Coconut Water seem like better terms to me.

Ah, but Steven Seagal has nipples, and from them flows forth his milk.

See, here it is:

Umm, anybody else thristy now. I could drink that while watching ABOVE THE LAW & HARD TO KILL on DVD (the dying medium). See I brought it back at the end fastbilly1
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Jrecee wrote:I was just thinking about dvd's audio abilities and how car audio has sort of skipped past it in the transition from CDs to MP3 players. I know there's mp3 cd players that can read 700megs worth of songs but I'm not sure about car stereos that can read dvds (outside of car entertainment systems). The reason I think dvd as a blank storage medium could die in the future is because it fits into a middleground between cds and blurays. Since practically every car out there plays cds and has skipped past dvd to mp3 connectivity, dvd won't be able to replace cds in that segment. And as prices of bluray come down, who's going to buy a dvd to put data on when you can get 10 times the storage capacity? So I'm wondering how long it will be before cds become obsolete due to bluray becoming so cheap there's no reason for any other type of disc?

I'm sure some crazy person has a DVD-audio player in his car.

Really high-end audiophiles do buy albums on DVD-audio, but in that case the extra space on the DVD is used to give improvements in audio fidelity and things like 5.1 audio. Audio CDs already sound really good to most people, so the added expense of mastering for DVD just never made it particularly attractive to most consumers. Also, in an automobile, there is generally so much background noise that audio quality doesn't make a whole lot of difference. MP3 connectivity gives inferior audio than CDs, but for most of us who don't have golden ears, it's not really a problem.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Technology of the future is "good enough" technology. DVD fits the bill just fine. How many HDTV owners bother to hook component/HDMI cables from their set-top boxes/DVD players to their tellies? VR, stereoscopic displays, 3D TVs.. Keep 'em coming since nobody's buying!
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Zeonik Freak wrote:Ive been a strong VHS user the past few years (going back around 2001), because mostly id use that to tape anime off toonami and adult swim. I have a good sizeable collection of anime ive taped from toonami and adult swim back in the day.

As of right now, im in the process of merging my VHS collection to my computer and then to DVD. I got my trusty Memorex VHS player/recorder and a TV Tuner and was able to figure out how to get audio in that as well, so i just need a good weekend of me popping in tape after tape with Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun and etc.

Ill do that with some of the other anime ive bought used as well...

Why don't you use Tivo?

I wish I can find VHS tapes for cheap
shadobeni
24-bit

Post by shadobeni »

I see DVD as a revolutionary technology compared to VHS. It was a digital medium with interactive features that added to the convenience. A slight downside being on dual layer discs that the pause that occurs when switching between layers can be very noticeable. Another downside is that there's no readily available standard dvd recording device that can accept any video source from all brands of camcorders and TVs (both analog and digital).

Bluray however is more evolutionary when compared to DVD.

I think DVD will last another 5-10 years because in order to realize the full potential of BluRay you need to buy a big screen HDTV (at least 42"), 5.1 Sound System and digital cables. That's a lot of money.

Whereas with DVD you really only needed to buy the DVD player and you would easily experience the jump in quality with you're existing TV & sound setup.

I feel DVDs have achieved a high enough quality that it could remain a standard for a very long time like the CD has for music.

The only way I could see bluray rendering dvd obsolete is after HD televisions render standard definition analog TVs obsolete. I think the latter is a distinct possibility considering the advantages of digital TV. Significantly better video quality in a nice widescreen format and digital channels over the air that actually require less signal strength than analog to attain perfect reception.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MEGABUMP!!

A decade later I guess I finally got my answer. DVD still got 3 more years to match VHS lifetime record, it didn't dominate as much as VHS but looks like it will out live it as new releases are still being put out in the medium.

I kind of feel bad Bluray didn't dominate DVD, but I guess region locking, expensive hardware, proprietary codecs, and difficulty to replicate measures taken to protect the studios contributed to limiting BD market share. Did they win or did they lose?

And congrats to member Shadobeni for his accurate future reading!
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

This topic is so old I got a reply notification for it :lol:. I don't know the last time I held a DVD. I have a few movies but they live in my parents basement a hundred miles away. Can't say I've really been jonesing for my LOTR set.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Does anyone really want a thick, heavy, canvas bound optical sleeve book of standard definition "meh" movies from the 90s? I can make it happen! I can make all your dreams come true!
Seriously tho, the Dataplay never made it here and that's so disappointing.
I was actually expecting it in this cut Terminator 2 scene.
Hit Clips are not what I hoped - I bought a set and was disappointed.
We were so close! I had a collection of UMD videos. They were so cool for about 2 years. I really wish optical media was still cool. They developed holographic storage and it was almost viable. It was supposed to be the future. Now it's trivial to buy a 512G MicroSD. So uncool that I can afford to eat a dump of wikipedia and pass it without pain.
If MiniDisc came out here in Canada, I'd still be holding on to my precious collection like disco fashion aficionados hold on to their dream. I have a closet full of dreams I never got to wear, and I have *so many* discs that need to go to a landfill.
Look at This! lol
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage