The Death of DVD

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

The Death of DVD

Post by RCBH928 »

No its not another Bluray killed DVD thread, not exactly.

I just want to discuss the idea that DVD might seem so important and widely popular today that it is part of the everyday life, but overall in history the DVD did not have its significant impact.

Yes you can argue it was lighter, easier to copy, and it was interactive, but I do not think in the future when they remember us they will go "DVD" . The VHS had a more significant impact.

VHS lived maybe since around 1975-2002 , that is 27 years of history! It was King. It was the medium of choice. One reason it is so significant , is the option of recording. It was very popular at affected people's life by recording TV broadcasts. Compare it to DVD , which is more like an evolution of a VHS, it was just interactive. You can chose subtitles or not, which audio, and similar stuff. It was out in 1996, probably didn't start to get attention up until 1999 and it didn't really beat VHS except around like 2002 (remember launch of ps2). Basically the DVD was the medium of choice for only around 7 years.

Let me add to this point that during those 7 years it had competition . Competition from Bluray and Downloadable content. Stuff like Ipod and such. It was never supreme like the VHS.

I think DVD will be forgotten in the years to come, specially that downloadable content is much easier to spread and acquire because you do not have to manufacture anything or ship anything. Manufacturing and shipping will be the job of the Bluray.

Any one shares this opinion, or do you have a different point of view?

Before replying, just consider how you feel about VHS that last 27 now and think how you will feel about DVD in the future while it only lasted 7-9 years.
gennss
128-bit

Re: The Death of DVD

Post by gennss »

I disagree. Amonst the techs saavy technology like vhs and dvd has always died quick, however, the majority of the population isn't exactly saavy

Example, Laserdisc, only amonst the elitists. Blue-Ray seems to be having similar problems (im sure as hell not interested). Downloadable content assumes computer literacy, which is still not completely widespread.

DVD, likely will be around as long as VHS. The media industry will obviously try to push for more profitable harder to copy technologies, but like laserdisc and blue ray it won't be completely widespread yet.
--
Gennss
--
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

My opinion:

DVD>VHS

not even close
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I now view DVDs the way I do CDs.
Just an easy way to distribute bits before I transfer them to my PC and devices.
I rarely play from discs anymore.
I wish I could easily do that for all games....
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I don't think the future of DVD is blu-ray. I think it's flash media. 8 gig of SDHC still costs about $15, but it's rewritable, and prices will drop fast. It won't be long until optical media is a thing of the past. I wouldn't be surprised to see cartridges make a comeback in the next couple generations of consoles, but download only seems more likely. Still, I think DVD has been ubiquitous enough that in 20 years it will be a lot easier to get a DVD reader than it is to get a Beta player today.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

I think we're seeing technology evolve quicker than before. Before VHS, you had records that were around for a long time before consumers switched to cassettes/CDs. Now more and more people are using downloads for their music.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

the name of dvd will probably live on, since most people who are not into tech stuff call blue rays dvd :P
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

Just ask yourself how many VHS tapes do you have and then how many DVDs do you have? DVDs will be around for at least another 10 years. The only reason VHS tapes lasted as long as they did is for three reasons. 1. people all ready had a big VHS collection and didnt want to rebuy all there movies or they were not rereleased on DVD yet. 2. VHS was recordable DVD was not for a long while. 3. Price, DVD players were very expensive when they came out and as their price droped so did the price for a VHS and VHS tapes. Only now does it cost as much to buy a DVD player as a VHS deck.

The fact that Blu-ray is backward combatible people well keep there DVDs a lot longer. 100 years for now a DVD could still play could a VHS tape?
Home reels, Betamax, Laserdisc, VCD, mini disc, zip disk, 8-track, these will be forgotten for the most part.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Cronson
64-bit

Post by Cronson »

Not remember this generation for the DVD? I can agree. I think the remarkable thing that actually happened, the thing to be written into the history books, was the crossover from analog recordings to digital. DVD was the first fully digital video media (remember Laser Disc was actually analog).
I think we'll continue to see the consumer market of music and video keep segmenting itself. Digital distribution services will grow as broadband users increase. Blu-Ray will keep slowly penetrating homes and rental shelves. And DVD will probably take a really long time to die. In fact, it could last those same 27 years like VHS did. The difference from the reign of VHS to that of DVD is, we'll see a very different market emerging, with more options and less domination from one format.

fast
Next-Gen

Post by fast »

My RCA Video Discs will live forever. Yall just dont understand.