Radio Shack is closing (most of their stores)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Radio Shack is closing (most of their stores)

Post by Ziggy »

This thread was originally titled "I HATE Radio Shack," but now I feel kinda bad. I hate to see when long lasting chains go out.

I heard that Radio Shack is closing all their stores, but then I found out that they will be keeping only a select few stores open to support Internet sales. The rest of the stores are liquidating everything, including shelving and fixtures. I would think most of the good stuff is gone by now, and it's hit or miss, but you can get some good deals. I heard the last day for all stores is 5/31/17.

Everything in their parts drawers are $1/ea. Five resistors for $1 isn't exactly a steal, since that's basically what you'd pay for them online anyway. But a pack of switches or something like that for $1 is great.

Here's what I got...

2x 6ft component cables - $2.60/ea
Assorted heat shrink tubing - $1.80
S-Video coupler - $1.00
Red/White RCA male plugs (3 pairs) - $1.00
SPDT slide switch (pair) - $1.00
SPDT mini switch - $1.00
DPDT mini switch - $1.00
SPST push button switch - $1.00
24-pack ring terminals - $1.00
LEDs, holders - $1.00/ea
8 position DIP switch - $1.00
Radio Shack brand 15w solder iron tip - $0.99
3x 75ft 24AWG solid conductor speaker wire - $1.40/ea
3x 16oz PCB etching solution - $3.79/ea

I was really hoping to get a few of the soldering iron tips for their 40w iron. I finally got a proper solder station, but I like to use the Radio Shack iron in cars and whatnot (I have no desire to take my $100+ solder station outside). I was also hoping to find solder, but all they had was small spools left. The speaker wire was a steel though, I like to use it for my projects so this amount will last me for some time.
Last edited by Ziggy on Tue May 23, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
puke_face

Re: I HATE Radio Shack

Post by puke_face »

I have had SEVERAL issues with radio shack. More the cell phone dealer that works within my local radio shack. I used to get my alltel service plans there, that is until they pissed me off. I went in there one day just to get a new cell phone, and they kept telling me, oh well we need this.... your old cell phone providers service contract number... went home and got it, then I came back and they said ..... oh well now we need this.. some little thing that they could have easily over looked, and wouldn't have been a big deal if they would have told me to get it along with what I was going to get anyways, but no, they had to make me go back to my house again. Not only that but the lady at the counter was a complete dumb, fat, lazy bitch that just didn't want to get off of her ass to do ANYTHING.

Ended up just going to wal-mart and getting a cell phone from them, after I told the fat, lazy, dumb bitch that I would be calling up the headquarters and let them know that they were a complete waste of air, space, life... etc.

so yea, I feel ya bro.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Radio Shack probably stocks horrible shit. But as a company they are usually helpful, they just don't do quality stuff anymore. We have a small dedicated electronics store here that has everything Radio Shack has except better and less expensive. Thank goodness for that.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I actually scored two old 6-button Genesis controllers from the one in Nags Head for only a paltry $5 each.

But since, there's more empty space than product.

But a point of interest... the music store that was next store fused with the Radio Shack, and now, the two stores operate on separate ends of the store, using only a single counter.

And the music store sells LPs. And last time, in their discount shelf area, they had an old Prodigy calender from around '98 I think.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Once while looking for a power chord for some of my consoles(since so many have used the same ones), they offered me one that wouldn't fit and told me to file it down with a knife. I'm sure I could have, but you know what? eBay, bitches. Still paid less than I would have if I'd bought that other one from them.

That sucks by the way, Ziggy.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

I'll be honest, I don't think I've bought something at Radio Shack in no less than 10 years. I can't even picture the inside of the store.
HoboJoe
64-bit

Post by HoboJoe »

Even if you could picture it, they changed the layout of every store at least 5 times int he past 10 years...you walk in there and go....oh....they moved everything to even less convenient places...wonderful!
Somebody sell me a model 1 modchip for Saturn. Please.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
superlarz
128-bit

Post by superlarz »

I really am surprised they can stay in business. Really bad, over priced products.
owned: Atari VCS, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, NES2, Sega Master System, Turbografx-16, Genesis/Sega CD Model 1, Genesis/Sega CD Model 2/32x, SNES, Atari Jaguar, Virtual Boy, GBA, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, PSone, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3
wanted: Cd-I, Neo Geo AES
HoboJoe
64-bit

Post by HoboJoe »

They stay in business because in a lot of places they're the only place to go....i.e., where i live, i try to order stuff online, but often shipping will put it over radioshacks price. If there were other stores enar me, i'd goto them, but there aren't.
Somebody sell me a model 1 modchip for Saturn. Please.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

more like radioSUCK, amirite??