What are you listening to at the present? (genres helpful)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: What are you listening to at the present? (genres helpfu

Post by Anapan »

Two OSTs on repeat for the past few days - 3 hours of new (to me) awesome:
Sonic Mania OST
Megaman X OST (Sega Genesis) <- recommend play the VGM files @ 48000Khz in your favorite player for the best bass and fidelity - Boomer Kuwanger (17:13) is so much better in FM!
Also, I found out about Pylot a couple of months ago and listen to his works regularly.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

I've been on a 90s kick lately (all genres) thanks to the interesting playlist they have going on at work. Everything you can imagine between "rhythm is a dancer" by Snap and "all over you" by Live. Both of which I love.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Currently on my Apple Music Heavy Rotation:
Lots of Explosions in the Sky
Tegan & Sara - The Con X Covers (get to see them live next month)
New Cults album, Offering
Burial - Untrue
New Mogwai album, Every Country's Sun
M83 - Junk (didn't like it at first, but grew on me)
Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface (just saw them live last month)
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

I bought this album a couple of months ago and I enjoyed it then, but it keeps getting better and better with each listening. The lyrics are so intricate and unique that it takes several listenings to understand what is going on, which is great because the music behind it is so catchy that it ingrains into your brain. There are several outstanding tracks and just a joy to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQwcqwHvrus
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Zach Callison (voice of Steven Universe) released a single, part of an EP to be released later. It's called "War". Listen for yourself.

Also a few other songs I've procured lately:

* "Give Me This Night" and "Abracadabra" from the soundtrack to The Lure (Corki Dancingu), the Polish musical about mermaids that parallels The Little Mermaid (not the Disney version).
* "Painkiller" by Judas Priest.
* "Master of Puppets" by Metallica. Also wanted to get "Enter Sandman", but it wouldn't let me buy it while I have Prime for some reason.
* The theme to "Stranger Things", from the Season 2 soundtrack.
* "Fall Behind Me" and "Take it Off" by The Donnas.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

REPO Man wrote:* "Painkiller" by Judas Priest.
* "Master of Puppets" by Metallica. Also wanted to get "Enter Sandman", but it wouldn't let me buy it while I have Prime for some reason.

I commend you on your good taste sir! In the event that you only grabbed the song Master of Puppets, I'd encourage you to grab the entire album. Many a metalhead contends this to be the greatest thrash album of all time.
They're wrong of course (the correct answer is Slayer's Reign in Blood :mrgreen:), but Master of Puppets is nonetheless a game changing landmark release.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Been listening to HORSE the Band a lot lately. I've always liked this band but it's been awhile since I've listened to them. The "Natural Death" album in particular has been seeing heavy play on my truck rides to and from work.

For those that don't know they are an experimental metal group that are prominently known for their 8bit like synth sound, as well as lyrics that reference game characters.

Here's a good track to show case their style:
*WARNING* Explicit language

https://youtu.be/iqkT8dfEU7Q
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

strangenova wrote:Been listening to HORSE the Band a lot lately. I've always liked this band but it's been awhile since I've listened to them. The "Natural Death" album in particular has been seeing heavy play on my truck rides to and from work.

For those that don't know they are an experimental metal group that are prominently known for their 8bit like synth sound, as well as lyrics that reference game characters.

Here's a good track to show case their style:
*WARNING* Explicit language

https://youtu.be/iqkT8dfEU7Q

Dude, this is pretty great! Sometimes music that incorporates game inspired elements can come off as being a bit forced/hokey, but I really like this. A good indicator for me is to ask myself whether it's something I'd listen to even without references to <thing I like>. HORSE the Band definitely passes that criteria. They remind me a bit of early Baroness but with punk interludes and well implemented 8 bit synth. Thanks for the rec!
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

nullPointer wrote:Dude, this is pretty great! Sometimes music that incorporates game inspired elements can come off as being a bit forced/hokey, but I really like this. A good indicator for me is to ask myself whether it's something I'd listen to even without references to <thing I like>. HORSE the Band definitely passes that criteria. They remind me a bit of early Baroness but with punk interludes and well implemented 8 bit synth. Thanks for the rec!

Hey I'm just glad you like it. I've never listened to Baroness before, got any tracks you'd recommend from them?
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

strangenova wrote:
nullPointer wrote:Dude, this is pretty great! Sometimes music that incorporates game inspired elements can come off as being a bit forced/hokey, but I really like this. A good indicator for me is to ask myself whether it's something I'd listen to even without references to <thing I like>. HORSE the Band definitely passes that criteria. They remind me a bit of early Baroness but with punk interludes and well implemented 8 bit synth. Thanks for the rec!

Hey I'm just glad you like it. I've never listened to Baroness before, got any tracks you'd recommend from them?

After listening to a bit more HORSE the Band I may have made a tenuous connection, but Baroness is still a good band (and I can still hear similarities between the two at least insofar as some of the the elements of prog). Baroness is one of the two successful bands to come out of the amazingly fertile 00's Georgia sludge scene (the other being the equally awesome Mastodon). Their first song to gain some degree of popularity was A Horse Called Golgotha off the Blue Album. I'm a bit of an outlier in terms of my Baroness fandom though since my favorite album of theirs is the double album Yellow and Green. Red and Blue are their early albums and are generally considered by many to be their best. Yellow and Green is more chill than their earlier stuff, and maybe even more accessible. but I dig it.

*WARNING* Baroness album covers might be considered NSFW - depends on your W, lol