Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Wintermute1981
16-bit

Re: Recession Woes

by Wintermute1981 Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:17 pm

I got laid off last September and haven't been able to land a job yet. I've been to plenty of interviews, but competition is really heavy right now. My best friend finally got a job after 10 months of being unemployed, and he beat out 75 other people for an entry level sales job making a fraction of the money he use to make. He was lucky, turns out the store manager was a Cav Scout in the Army, so when he mentioned that he was also scout, he got the job.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Yeah, the job market in this economy is terrible.. I had to dramatically cut back spending on games and systems since money got tight.. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
DuManchu
32-bit

by DuManchu Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:35 pm

We're still pulling in the same amount of money we were pre-recession. But thanks to the housing market we went from above water on our mortgage to owing more than the appraised value. Foreclosures on adjacent streets and neighborhoods has caused many of the home values in our area take a huge dump.

Because of this, we've gone conservative with our spending and have been using the "extra" money to pay down our mortgage as fast as we can.

My wife's job situation is also precarious at best thanks to the idiot management installed there. That's another reason for the cut in personal spending.
Systems: Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Genesis 3, Genesis 2, 32X, Sega CD (model 2), Saturn (model 1), Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox (Modded), Xbox 360, GameBoy, GBA SP, Game Gear, PSP... always adding more
Marspants
64-bit

by Marspants Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:56 pm

This is a good time to truly appreciate emulation in all it's free glory.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:31 pm

Marspants wrote:This is a good time to truly appreciate emulation in all it's free glory.

HERE HERE! :D
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Ack wrote:Currently I'm in school, so I likely won't begin hunting for a real job for a few months.

I'm also in school, but thankfully I'll be done with it by the end of the year. College has held me back for too long. I couldn't look for a good job because of it. It took away my time and my opportunities, and really, when I look back, I regret having spent so much time in it. Too much bullshit, almost nothing actually useful for my life.

At least now that I have just one class per week, I can look for a real job instead of shitty internships. Not saying college is bad for everyone or that all courses are crap, but I can't think it wasn't in my case.

Well, at least I didn't pay anything (but the fact that I didn't make anything still enrages me).
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever