Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
EveningEmma
16-bit

Representing retro games in crafts

by EveningEmma Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:54 am

Hi guys! I don't know if you've seen my commissions thread, buy I make video game handicrafts.

I'm going to Retrogamebeurs Deurne in February where I'm going to have a stall selling my crafts and showcasing what I can do.

I feel that there is an over saturation of crafts based on games such as Mario, Space Invaders, and Pacman and I would like to make something a bit different. I'm looking for some input into what retro gamers might like to see, are there any games in particular that would resonate with you if you saw them used in handicrafts?

I'm looking for games that have a lot of imaginative imagery or symbolism and preferably sprite based. At the moment I've got a couple of patterns made up for Street Fighter and Oddworld and I'm also looking at Metal Slug.

I'd really appreciate any input you could give me.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Re: Representing retro games in crafts

by EllertMichael Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Neo Geo games certainly have their audience. Beautifully detailed sprites and a little more obscure than the usual Nintendo & retro fare that usually dominates those craft tables. (but that stuff is what sells, so don't forget to bring some of that stuff, too!)

Ships from shoot 'em ups are visually appealing even to people who might not recognize the game it's from. And for the fan that does recognize it, they would probably freak out and need to have it. (I know I would!)

Maybe look into some licensed stuff? For example the CPS2 Aliens vs. Predator has really nice sprites which would not only appeal to fans of the game but also fans of the films. (This idea could run the gauntlet from Robocop to Disney characters - there are A LOT of licensed games out there)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:52 pm

For shmups suggestions, Gradius, R-Type, and Galaga are some that would be popular and easily recognizable.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

by EllertMichael Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:36 pm

a kid on the shmups forums makes awesome bead ships.
here's a link to his gallery:
http://s260.beta.photobucket.com/user/R ... 0creations
brainerdrainer
32-bit

by brainerdrainer Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Thats awesome. I like that kinda stuff. I've been making some Game Boy ornaments

painted Game Boy ornament by Y=MX+B, on Flickr
brainerdrainer
32-bit

by brainerdrainer Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 pm

castlevania
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:00 pm

You can edit your posts....
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
EveningEmma
16-bit

by EveningEmma Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:20 am

EllertMichael wrote:Maybe look into some licensed stuff? For example the CPS2 Aliens vs. Predator has really nice sprites which would not only appeal to fans of the game but also fans of the films. (This idea could run the gauntlet from Robocop to Disney characters - there are A LOT of licensed games out there)

The Aliens Vs. Predator sprites are really nice indeed! And very recognisable, I'm definitely going to do something with that.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I'm going to look into some shmups to see if I can find anything eye catching and recognisable.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:25 am

EveningEmma wrote:
EllertMichael wrote:Maybe look into some licensed stuff? For example the CPS2 Aliens vs. Predator has really nice sprites which would not only appeal to fans of the game but also fans of the films. (This idea could run the gauntlet from Robocop to Disney characters - there are A LOT of licensed games out there)

The Aliens Vs. Predator sprites are really nice indeed! And very recognisable, I'm definitely going to do something with that.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I'm going to look into some shmups to see if I can find anything eye catching and recognisable.

Might I suggest Parodius?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:56 am

Bubble Bobble is always a popular one.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever