Austin, TX meet up thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Rob

Re: Austin, TX meet ups thread

Post by Rob »

Hey guys,

I'd be down for driving to Austin if you guys have anything happening over Memorial Day weekend (maybe Sunday?).

Most of my game consoles are still packed up (just moved to Ft. Worth from Alabama), but I have two X68000 computers and an FM Towns I can bring.

I don't have much for the Towns, but I have a ton of X68000 games and can write disks of any game that's available.

I also have some arcade PCBs.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Yes, i've seen "some" of rob's wares over on shmups forums, you guys are in for a treat :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

hah! Thanks. The X68000 can be a pain to pack up and travel with, but as long as you guys can provide a standard VGA CRT PC monitor and (preferably) a set of PC speakers, it's well worth the trouble.

The X68000 has it's own built-in speaker but it sounds like garbage.

Since I have two systems, we can have Castlevania running on one, and Chorensha on the other for example.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Hey Rob, I'm ExitPlanetDust over on shmups. Memorial Day weekend might be cutting it close. I do have that Monday off, however.

So if I were to send an email to David to reserve game over, who would be available to show up next Sunday, 5/27 at Game Over for a meet?

edit: I checked their site and Game Over doesn't have anything planned at the Lamar store for next week. Their classic games fest starts the weekend after.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Unfortunately, that would probably be the only time I would be able to make it down for the foreseeable future. I can sometimes be tagged on Friday to work on Saturdays (office space style), so it's difficult to plan a road trip to Austin otherwise.

I don't mean to be difficult, but I would like to meet some fellow local nerds. 8)
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

No, it's no problem at all. I'm sending a few messages out to see how many we could get to attend. I don't have a place to host things, myself. My apt is pretty small. That's why we usually do this at Game Over. They don't charge for events like this. They just request you notify them in advance and that they don't have anything going on already.

I'll keep working on it. Hopefully I know something by tomorrow or Tuesday.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Awesome! Do they have arcade machines available? If so, I can bring some PCBs.

I have:

DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou
Armed Police Batrider
Fantasy Zone
Detana!! Twinbee
Raiden Fighters
E.D.F. Earth Defense Force
Strikers 1945 II
Neo Geo MVS w/ various carts

Otherwise as I mentioned most of my consoles are in storage, except for the Japanese computers.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Rob wrote:Awesome! Do they have arcade machines available? If so, I can bring some PCBs.

I have:

DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou
Armed Police Batrider
Fantasy Zone
Detana!! Twinbee
Raiden Fighters
E.D.F. Earth Defense Force
Strikers 1945 II
Neo Geo MVS w/ various carts

Otherwise as I mentioned most of my consoles are in storage, except for the Japanese computers.

Unfortunately, no. They have an old 4 player Konami cab that is running Sunset Riders right now. They don't always having it up and running, so I assume it's not in the best of shape. There's an old Namco cab in the back that's running what may be a mame package.

The only other option for PCBs that I can think of is to contact the guys at Arcade UFO and see if they wouldn't mind us taking over a cab for a few hours. I don't know them, though. I can pass on a suggestion to a friend who may be able to check on that.

Pinballz arcade down the street is another option, but they usually require some sort of fee for an event.

If that MVS is consolized, Game Over has a S-Video/Composite Sony WEGA CRT that we could hook it up to. I really wish I knew someone in town with a supergun.

Edit: OK, F it. I sent an email to David to see if the place is going to be available. I will let you guys know when he replies.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for any updates.

The MVS is not consolized unfortunately.

In that case all I would need is a VGA CRT monitor if you guys want to play the X68/FM Towns.

If you have never played one, you guys are in for a treat.
Last edited by Rob on Sun May 20, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

OK, I'll see what I can dig up.

Add: Haha, if I can't find anything, there is a Goodwill electronics superstore about 2 or 3 miles away from Game Over. They should have VGA CRT monitors for around $15.