What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by bmoc »

Fragems wrote::) : Diet is going pretty well losing about 1lb a day although it's probably mostly water weight. Down to 290 from 305.

:lol: : Plans for leaving my job have kind of expanded. Now I'm thinking about thru hiking the Appalachian Trail before joining the military. Love hiking and I've always wanted to do a long distance plus now is probably the best chance I would have at it got around 4 grand squirreled away, all my debts are paid off, and I don't have a house/apartment or any relationships to tie me down. Have some equipment already but I need to check out some better packs and lightweight tents and get a few smaller things. Also have a time frame since my brother is getting married next year and I'd either have to start immediately or wait till after the wedding which is about half a year out. Anyways got the week off so I'm going to plan it out, do some window shopping at Cabela's and probably buy stuff on Amazon :lol: , and do some full day hikes at the nearby State Forest to test stuff out. Was planning to do 3-4 days of camping but they charge $35 a night to sleep in your own tent without electricity and camping is prohibited outside of the camp grounds + they tow after 10pm if you leave your car parked according to the signs :P.

You should wait and train up some. The AT is no joke and you will need to be in very good shape to do the whole thing. Most people doing the AT northbound start in early spring. Southbound hikers start in late spring typically. Hit me up when you get to Walasi-Yi. It is not far from where I live.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

That’s a humongous goal for your first long-distance hike, Fragems!

May I make a suggestion? There’s a fifty mile trail that runs from Galax, Virginia to Pulaski, Virginia. I’ve done that trail myself. It’s called the New River Trail. It’s relatively flat, and the trail is well maintained. A reasonably fit man could hike the New River Trail in a single weekend. It’s a good adventure for a first timer.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Thought the wedding was in March but it's in May so I have a little time to think things over. Really considering just starting off season(only one person on the ATC registry for September so far) to avoid the crowds plus the bears and ticks probably wouldn't be as bad in the winter months. I'm pretty warm blooded so with the right tent/sleeping bag/ and clothing I don't think it would bother me as long as I didn't get completely snowed in somewhere. On trail shelters probably wouldn't be to crowded so I could probably use those more often as well.

In terms of being in shape I'm a little chunky but my legs are in pretty good shape I walk pretty constantly at work and during my day hikes I usually go 10-15 miles during half a day with a cheapo pack with 15-20 pounds of stuff. Definitely want to see what my feet are like after a few days straight of hiking they are pretty much pure calluses as is already though so I usually don't get blisters as long as i keep my socks dry, but back to back days of hiking with a traditional pack loaded with all my equipment will be totally different.

The Kanawha State Forest is pretty large I'm going to try hiking as much of it as possible Thursday through Tuesday. There are probably 40-50+ miles of trails there(a lot aren't marked on there official map) pretty close together so I can chain a lot of them. It's a 15 square mile park but quite a few of the trails / access roads go outside the posted boundaries and there is a decent range of challenge levels for the trails since it's pretty hilly.

@samsonlonghair

I could probably swing either that or the Greenbrier River Trail which is 77 miles both are about 3 hours away from me. Would be good practice run for the gear once I get it all together.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Yeah, I’ve done the greenbrier. It’s real pretty. That’s a good one.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ive done Springer to Rich Mountain twice. It was a decade ago and the second time I was in the best shape of my life, and it still took close to a week.

Unrelated:
Had a tech from a hardware company on site to repair a laptop under warranty. He was Irish, named Roy, and would not say the line even if I paid him...
Old Gregg

Post by Old Gregg »

fastbilly1 wrote:Unrelated:
Had a tech from a hardware company on site to repair a laptop under warranty. He was Irish, named Roy, and would not say the line even if I paid him...

Should have just....

:lol:
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

:D : Turned in my two week notice yesterday. With the USPS the money once you make career is great and the benefits are amazing. However everything else is a shit show. The interoffice systems are broken, management is so bad it's mind blowing, unions are corrupt and you will be discriminated against if you don't join($27 every two weeks for their protection), rules short of theft are rarely if ever enforced, and in general the staff is horrible maybe 1 out of every 20-30 people is actually worth half a shit(the fruits of having a promotion system that relies solely on seniority with little to no performance reviews, and no way to be fired short of crippling someone or stealing). If you aren't a regular/career employee expect to be treated like shit or abused almost daily, and the regulars + supervisors will bend you over a table every opportunity they get because you are expendable.

Little ranty wall of text follows.

Everyday I go in I'm expected to do the jobs of 2-3 people because management will not make people do their job. Talked to the plant manager one day while she was walking around I was kind of pissed off at the time so when she asked me how things were I told her "this place would work so much better if people were actually required to do their job." her response "if you push people to do their jobs to much they just won't work" :lol: . There are big signs on every door that "cell phone use is prohibited on the work floor" not only are people texting, talking on headsets, or screwing around on Facebook, but there are people who prop their phones up in their work area and watch netflix while they "work". Now that I have a bid job I usually get my area caught up / cleaned up since I usually come into a mess and then I get tossed to another area that's a mess because people aren't doing their job or don't know how to do it(there is little to no formal training it's all monkey see monkey do) while my area gets backed up again because the rest of the regs in my area don't give a shit :P.

The only reason the USPS is around is the alternatives aren't far enough along to support the massive volume that the USPS handles and the USPS is one of those organizations that is "to big to fail".

I highly recommend anyone considering a career in the USPS to avoid it. If you do have a desire do not go in as a carrier and avoid any "casual" postings. Casuals have no job security you can be fired on any given day and you receive less pay for the same work. Casuals also get no form of advantage when it comes to promotions(you cannot earn seniority as a casual) there were casuals who had been there for 2 years when I came in as an MHA(mail handler assistant) alongside many people who had no postal experience. As for carriers you are constantly under a ton of stress. The mail routes are rated for way fewer hours then they actually take if done properly(people skip roads, do "attempted delivery" scans on packages they don't want to deliver, and etc. all the time to make it back in by the expected time or early :roll: ). CCA (City Carrier Assistants) are usually busier, but do get paid for over time so they are pressured a lot more to make it back in time. While RCAs(Rural Carrier Assistants) get fucked you get paid 8 hours period on most routes if it takes you 9-10 you don't get paid for your time(In the two years I worked as a RCA I probably had 250-300+ unpaid hours). My experience as an RCA was unless you are willing to bounce around multiple offices expect to work once or twice a week at most outside of the holiday season or if weather conditions are dangerous since regulars don't want to risk their vehicles or lives. Also expect not to know your work schedule for the following week until the very last day of the previous week and it's still open to change after that. Also you are on call pretty much at all times so expect to receive calls at 6:30-6:55am in the morning telling you to be at work by 7am around 3-5 times a month :lol: . The promotion time for many Rural offices is basically whenever someone retires or dies and RCAs from other office can transfer in as long a they have more seniority then you so a lot of offices it's 10+ years to become a regular :lol: . If you are required to use your own vehicle don't even consider the job you do get some extra cash but it's not enough to even cover gas and if you break down they expect you to rent a car which will usually run you more then you make in a day. As an RCA unless you are in a really busy office you are basically going to end up at minimum living check to check if not going into debt just to work there :lol: .

If you are the type of person who doesn't give a shit about doing a good job or just doesn't care in general and just wants to collect a check with minimum effort the USPS is the place for you all you have to do is work semi competently during your 90 day review period. However if you have any work ethic whatsoever you will be miserable and overworked.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

:D Finally, after YEARS, I got a projector! It was $45 marked down from $60. I totally plan on hosting movie nights at my house. I have a big-ass yard and all I need is a screen and something for sound (thinking about using a cheap FM transmitter plugged into the projector). But I don't know how it'll look in use, given its cheap price tag, especially with the ambient light from the lights at the storage units across the road.

:( Two of my coworkers at Duck Donuts, more specifically the assistant managers (a husband and wife pair in their 20s), apparently were fired on Thursday. I actually liked them. And one of my coworkers even said the "energy" changed with them gone.

:cry: It's been said that Duck Donuts is closing for the winter, though we don't know any details.

:cry: :cry: And it's been speculated that we may not even be opening back up in the spring, mostly because we're actually LOSING money.

:shock: I'm actually looking forward to getting laid off! I guess it's the combination of the 70-80 hour work week and getting on average 3-5 hours a night.

:D SAGE 2018 is here!! Well, it got here a few days ago, but still!

:) Found out about this awesome Raspberry Pi case from YouTuber ETA Prime. I ordered it shortly after.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Having issues with getting obsessed about something for long periods before becoming completely over it :| bad juju, as the current obsession is not a good one. I literally feel compelled to do it despite that and all the embarrassment it could cause... really hope I can find a new therapist soon.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
glowen

Post by glowen »

It's like the 7th time today that a wasp just flies into my room and around me. FYI i have uncomfortable feelings around wasps flying around since the childhood, they seem to not care if you are peaceful or not. I had to open the window and shoosh them off, and they fly in on a clock, like every hour. Is this my exercise or what XD Nature why???