What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by REPO Man »

Rewatched Friday the 13th Parts 5 & 6 last night.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Tomb Raider was a fun popcorn flick. It wasn't a brilliant triumph of cinema, but it's a perfectly serviceable action movie. This Tomb Raider is much better than either of the Angelina Jolie movies. I can't imagine why anyone would hate it; it hits all the right beats. Maybe people are just sick of remakes?

I also went to see Wrinkle in Time... :? :( :x
Where do I start? Listen, I'm not a stickler when a movie takes liberties with the source material... as long as it makes for a better movie. That was not the case with Disney's Wrinkle in Time. Dialogue was one of the strengths of Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time, but the dialogue in the movie version is obnoxiously ham fisted!
example:
book version of Charles Wallace wrote:“Thinking I'm a moron gives people something to feel smug about," Charles Wallace said. "Why should I disillusion them?”

movie version of Charles Wallace wrote:Shame on you for saying bad things about people behind their backs!

sigh...

Even when the characters on screen directly quote the book, they do so poorly. When Mrs. Whatsit says, “Wild nights are my glory!” in the book, it comes across as wry and clever like an old lady who embraces her own idiosyncrasies. When Reese Witherspoon says the same line, she just sounds like she's emoting as loud as she can, like she really really wants you to know that she's quirky and cute.

Like I said, I don't normally throw a fit when a movie is different from the book. If the director chooses to omit the Centaurs, fine. If they omit the beasts too, fine. I don't mind one bit that the director likes to cover her actors in too much makeup, BUT makeup doesn't compensate for a complete lack of character altogether. I can forgive all the omissions (there's only so much screen time after all), but this movie replaced good dialogue with childish lines and replaced intriguing characters with painted mannequins who have the depth of a teaspoon. What a train wreck!

Worst movie I've seen in a long time, and I would still feel that way had I never read the book.

Verdict: AVOID
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I watched Big Trouble in Little China recently on DVD. Still a fun movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously. You can see how this movie influenced Mortal Kombat. Is Big Trouble in Little China actually the worlds best Mortal Kombat movie? :wink:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’m watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars with my children tonight. It’s pretty good...?! My kids love the show, and they are squealing with delight throughout the movie. I mean, it is almost wall-to-wall action with limited character development...which is probably a good thing for prequel-era Star Wars. It also has a lot of cool world building, and (sadly) the most natural dialogue of any of the prequel movies. I’m enjoying it.

As I have re-explored the prequels with my children, I have come to respect them a lot more...warts and all. (My children, despite my arguments, greatly prefer them to the original trilogy. :? ) Certainly, they have painful dialogue, and with a few notable exceptions, the acting is “1990s FMV game” bad. That said, the costumes are really great, the fight choreography is splendid, and they have some killer action sequences. Moreover, the new films are so human/humanoid centric, and the various aliens, droids, vehicles, etc. inhabiting the Star Wars universe in the prequels are so much more interesting.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I still watch BTILC every few months, and it's ripoff the golden child lol. Bloodsport was also an influence. Wasn't johnny cage supposed to be JCVD.?
Last edited by stickem on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

samsonlonghair wrote:I watched Big Trouble in Little China recently on DVD. Still a fun movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously. You can see how this movie influenced Mortal Kombat. Is Big Trouble in Little China actually the worlds best Mortal Kombat movie? :wink:

Yes.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:I watched Big Trouble in Little China recently on DVD. Still a fun movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously. You can see how this movie influenced Mortal Kombat. Is Big Trouble in Little China actually the worlds best Mortal Kombat movie? :wink:

:D I always thought that movie took inspiration from the Mortal Kombat Arcade. The hat and the shiny folding fan! For anyone who has not seen this, a fun ride and not just a fight movie. So much fun and a couple great Chinese actors that have been memorable characters in so many movies. The bus driver and the evil king actor who was also in Blade Runner.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Bus driver was also in the golden child.

Who ever wrote the lines for that movie must have been stoned. There are so many lines that seem just so out of place, make no sense, or just plain stupid. StIll love the movie.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Power Rangers 2017

It's a much more boring Chronicle. While the fight with the Megazord is neat for the 1 minute (no really it's 1 minute) it lasted. This is a very disjointed movie. I hate saying it but the 1995 film for as bad as it was, was much more cohesive. It actually connected and built up to something(the worst CGI fight ever sadly). Also, this movie is oddly dark with a lot of creepy stuff and tonally a dark film. This was not meant for little kids. I really don't know who this was aimed at. People who liked that dark PR fan project on Youtube? Some maybe tired of this stuff but this would work better if it had a Marvel touch or at least the tone of a Marvel film like GoTG. This movie is the second failed Chronicle clone with the first clone being Fan 4stic in 2015.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Did you see Chronicle all the way through? I really wanted to like it... but ultimately didn't. Seems they didn't really know how to end it or even progress the story. One of the main plot points was so freaking random I busted out laughing. I have trouble comparing anything outside of the shaking first person, found footage genre, but if those 2 movies pale in comparison... ouch.

I have steered clear of PR and F4 though so can't really comment. I was a HUGE PR fan as kid so I don't want to ruin that. One of my buddies did say he got pretty amped up a few times during recent PR movie though. He fully admitted it was nostalgia, but it made it worth seeing for him. Fairly certain I have free access to the MKV file somewhere around my house, just not transferred over my main movie HDD yet. Worth it for free?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5