Level up here
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by Gamerforlife Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Mass Effect 2, gotta get ready for ME 3
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
ZenErik
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Boston

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by ZenErik Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ever play Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World? The end part of that game is extremely similar to that of Eternal Sonata: difficult second-to-last boss battle followed by a very easy final boss.

And both games have similar plots too, where you essentially must defeat "yourself" to conclude the story.


Did you enjoy Eternal Sonata overall?

I have not any Tales of games. Hoping to change that soon.

I did enjoy Eternal Sonata. The cutscenes mostly looked awful, but I liked the art direction. The ending doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Or at least it didn't until I read a few other people's interpretations on it.

The heavy emphasis on saving the planet at the end is a bit too environmentalist/Studio Ghibli for my liking. Yea, I'd like to preserve our planet too. I just don't need that tacked on the end of this game.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by J T Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:25 am

The Witcher 2 is my RPG du jour. It's really freakin' great. So impressive. I think it kind of goes unnoticed because it's PC only and requires a pretty decent PC to play, but that will probably change soon as there is an Xbox 360 version slated soon. It's such a grimy game. I love it. And it's a rare instance of something where I feel that I'm role playing, but I simultaneously care about my character's story arc, and my choices all feel meaningful. It's so brilliantly put together... well, except the clunky interface takes some getting used to, especially with inventory management.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 pm

J T wrote:The Witcher 2 is my RPG du jour. It's really freakin' great. So impressive. I think it kind of goes unnoticed because it's PC only and requires a pretty decent PC to play, but that will probably change soon as there is an Xbox 360 version slated soon. It's such a grimy game. I love it. And it's a rare instance of something where I feel that I'm role playing, but I simultaneously care about my character's story arc, and my choices all feel meaningful. It's so brilliantly put together... well, except the clunky interface takes some getting used to, especially with inventory management.


I've been meaning to play that. I've gotten sucked into KoA though and I likely wont get out for another 60 or so play-hours. :lol:

The combat in KoA has become increasingly satisfying and fun. I can't really remember an RPG that gives you an achievement for JUGGLING.

The combat is extremely smooth once you figure out when to switch weapons and what abilities to use when. It's helpful too, because, when the enemies hit, they hit hard, and button mashing only works for the first few hours.
Last edited by RyaNtheSlayA on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9582
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by Stark Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 pm

^ Really looking forward to playing the Witcher 2, but I'm waiting until the 360 release as they will integrate the changes into the PC version.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
sabrage
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2587
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: GMT -7

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by sabrage Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Stark wrote:^ Really looking forward to playing the Witcher 2, but I'm waiting until the 360 release as they will integrate the changes into the PC version.

Exactly. I still need to play the first one anyways, but I got TW2 at Best Buy for $14 so it's just sitting on my shelf.
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by J T Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:21 pm

It's probably not a bad idea to wait for the updated PC version, but I bought the Witcher 2 when I bought my new laptop because it was a game my old laptop couldn't handle and I'd been meaning to play it for a long time. I started playing before the new content was announced anyway. I probably don't really need the extra content, but it will be nice to know it is there if I ever decide to do a 2nd playthrough.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
sabrage
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2587
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: GMT -7

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by sabrage Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 pm

So after nearly giving up on Blue Dragon because of the awful English voice-over, I've made it an hour and a half in on the Japanese language setting. I'm not sure why the game basically got passed over after release; the art style is perfect, the music is great, and the battle system is interesting while still retaining its old-school style. Liking it a lot so far, and it's making me reconsider the other 360 RPGs I've passed on over the years.
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9582
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by Stark Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

sabrage wrote:So after nearly giving up on Blue Dragon because of the awful English voice-over, I've made it an hour and a half in on the Japanese language setting. I'm not sure why the game basically got passed over after release; the art style is perfect, the music is great, and the battle system is interesting while still retaining its old-school style. Liking it a lot so far, and it's making me reconsider the other 360 RPGs I've passed on over the years.


I don't think that game got passed over at all after release. Lots of people were excited about it, due to the art being like the Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger games. I personally really dislike that style of anime, but it's not enough to turn me off from games like Blue Dragon or DQ IX.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
sabrage
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2587
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: GMT -7

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by sabrage Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Stark wrote:I don't think that game got passed over at all after release. Lots of people were excited about it, due to the art being like the Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger games. I personally really dislike that style of anime, but it's not enough to turn me off from games like Blue Dragon or DQ IX.

I'm really not a fan either (at least as far as character art goes) but when its done this well I don't mind one bit.
Return to RPG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests