What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by Xeogred »

Let me just say I never got off the first planet in Star Ocean 2. That doesn't seem to be a huge spoiler, but most people tell me "Wow you barely even scratched the surface of the game!", I remember putting in about 10 hours or something. Got through some tournament and then stopped at some caves... sounds like an insanely big game.

Star Ocean on the other hand I hear is kind of short. But yeah I need to "really" play both of them sometime.

Star Ocean 2 does start off painfully slow though, that's for sure and the reason why I've probably held off on starting it over again for a long time.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I was always under the impression that Star Ocean 2 was long if the player decided to complete all the side quests and optional stuff. How Long to Beat gives a 25 hour estimate for a "normal" playthrough. I'm a grinder and I'm trying this with no walkthrough so I'm thinking 35 hours for me. I'm playing the PSP version, if that makes a difference.

But yeah, I always heard it was a long game back in the PS1 era. When I was 17 or so, I remember my brother playing that game for 18 hours straight, it was the longest video game binge I had ever witnessed haha.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, I've always heard it's one that claims to be over 100 hours long if you do everything, and there's dozens and dozens of different endings supposedly.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Xeogred wrote:Yeah, I've always heard it's one that claims to be over 100 hours long if you do everything, and there's dozens and dozens of different endings supposedly.

I think the amount of endings was in the 70s or 80s, but this was counting every variance. I think there are about 32 that are erally different.

So, I'm still on Lost Odyssey, and still loving it. I can't believe how crazy this story is. About 10 hours in, and I just switched characters for the first time.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Lost Odyssey was pretty emotional I'd say, absolutely loved the story (the whole immortal thing was really cool). I still need to beat it myself though... haha. I got to the third disc myself.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Yeah, I've always heard it's one that claims to be over 100 hours long if you do everything, and there's dozens and dozens of different endings supposedly.

I think the amount of endings was in the 70s or 80s, but this was counting every variance. I think there are about 32 that are erally different.

So, I'm still on Lost Odyssey, and still loving it. I can't believe how crazy this story is. About 10 hours in, and I just switched characters for the first time.

I liked reading all the dream sequences.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Tonight, I did a bit of gaming on my Saturn:

-I finished my save game on Guardian Heroes. I beat it by defeating the sky gods this time.
-I played a few levels of Super Tempo.
-I played a few rounds of Street Fighter II Turbo on the Capcom Generations 5 disc. I got sick of the high speed and switched to Dash/CE. I generally play as Ryu.

I've been using the US model 1 controller lately for a change. I realized that it was much easier to do dragon punches with the model 2 controller, so I switched to that. The model 1 controllers looks cooler, but the model 2 one feels better.
Bootaaay
128-bit

Post by Bootaaay »

Currently 25 hours in to Kingdoms of Amalur and I'm loving it - the combat system is deep and seriously one of the most enjoyable out of any real-time RPG combat I've previously played. The world is so huge too and filled to the brim with a ridiculous number of quests, it should take a good few hundred hours to see everything.
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ARGGGGHHHHHH STAR OCEAN 2!!!

So I've been playing without any kind of walkthrough or assistance for about 25 hours now... Today glace at an FAQ (because a boss was handing me my ASS) and holy shit I've been doing everything wrong. Missed a bunch of characters, spent too much time leveling up worthless skills instead of good ones, etc... It's frustrating because I spent a fair amount of time derping around and exploring but apparently not enough. And now it seems like tons of characters/items/events were missables so now they're gone for good. This is definitely what I call a "strategy guide game" because I don't know how anyone would find/accomplish what they're supposed to without some outside help.

I'm not sure if I'll finish this. I'm frustrated now and don't feel like grinding or leveling up skills for hours. I'll sleep on it.
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Post by mobiusclimber »

Your first playthru of Star Ocean should only be for fun. Use a guide when you play it over again, but for now, just have fun w/ it. I don't think any of the bosses are undefeatable simply using strategy (as opposed to having the right equipment/skills). It might take longer, but any of em should be doable. (Unless you really screwed up and made the end boss ten times harder - I think it was the end boss anyway, but you'd have to go out of your way to do that.)

right now I'm playing Dragon Quest VI on the DS and Nier on the 360 (but I've kinda put Nier up since I don't have the time at home right now).
I have a ton of games listed at my store's site: Super Smash Video Games