What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
Ack

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by Ack »

Didn't you also play 3? I thought you did that when I did.

This is also why I am playing Swords before 4 and 5. I don't want to have a lackluster experience, and Swords uses the updated engine of 5, so going from 3 to it means there are some improvements. Monster designs are nice, for example.

Did you ever continue on? I'm wondering if I should move to 6 in the future.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Exhuminator wrote:My favorite Kawazu game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Ym03T-K94

It was so damn fun. Really don't understand why most folks don't like it.

[0:58] Ah, now I see. :P

dunpeal2064 wrote:Final Fantasy Legend was actually the first RPG I ever played, when I was around 6 years old. I hated it. :lol: I just remember feeding meats to my peeps, and them changing so randomly. I also recall losing abilities without gaining new ones when I leveled up.

It left such a mark that I was anti-RPGs up until Super Mario RPG! I did, later on, end up playing through the 3rd game, and found it rather enjoyable! Felt like a mini 16-bit rpg. I am interested in revisiting them now, but I also have this thing where the first FFL game physically makes me ill when I see it, likely because I was sick when I rented it, and it was so unpleasant to a young me.

Jackie Kashian knows your pain. [2:13]
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:Didn't you also play 3? I thought you did that when I did.

This is also why I am playing Swords before 4 and 5. I don't want to have a lackluster experience, and Swords uses the updated engine of 5, so going from 3 to it means there are some improvements. Monster designs are nice, for example.

Did you ever continue on? I'm wondering if I should move to 6 in the future.

I did; we did that during Together RPG. My time with the series went MM1, next year MM3, following year MM2, 4, 5, aborted Swords. I also snuck in some time with MM10 around the time I was playing MM1, but shelved it until I played more of the series to get a better handle of the post-5 games which it took cues from in terms of character development.

I haven't moved on to the other titles yet, but I have heard good things about 6 and decent things about 7. I've heard 8 is when it starts to get bad and 9 is off a cliff.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

This:

Playing it for a completely unnecessary pedantic reason. See, I've already beaten the game twice, but never the Sega Genesis original. For the longest time I only possessed Nintendo hardware, and I initially played through the first three Phantasy Star games on the GBA Phantasy Star Collection. Later I picked up the Sega Genesis Collection on PSP to play part IV, and once again hit up part II as it was chosen as a "Together RPG" here on Racketboy. I'd like to go back and play these great JRPGs in their original formats - I've actually done so for part I, so the three 16-bit entries remain. Of the bunch, I recall part II as being the worst but there are some undeniably pleasing elements as well. The soundtrack is unstoppable.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Of the bunch, I recall part II as being the worst but there are some undeniably pleasing elements as well. The soundtrack is unstoppable.

The soundtrack is by far and away the best part of Phantasy Star II. Some of the town themes are utterly amazing and some of the best I heard.

Otherwise, the game is very much a NES Dragon Quest clone. So, expect a steep level curve, a ton of grinding and very little regarding story elements. It has its charm, but it also has its teeth too.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Phantasy Star IV is basically a Dragon Quest clone, too. However, it's better balanced, much like the later entries in that series. And those manga-style scenes are still cool to this day.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

All four games feel completely different to me. Part IV seems like it's clearly influenced by what was getting big on the SNES - Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest V, and whatnot.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:Phantasy Star IV is basically a Dragon Quest clone, too.

I can only agree with this in the loosest mechanical sense. From a thematic and atmospheric point of view, PSIV is nothing like any DQ.

Did any of the DQ games have a "Macro" command like PSIV did? I thought that was a very useful battle tool.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, here's my thoughts on Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1117547#p1117547

I'll start talking about my progress in Might and Magic 4 in the Progress Report thread.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:I can only agree with this in the loosest mechanical sense. From a thematic and atmospheric point of view, PSIV is nothing like any DQ.

Did any of the DQ games have a "Macro" command like PSIV did? I thought that was a very useful battle tool.

Yes, I meant mechanically, not thematically.

No "Macro" command, though. Although DQIV had the whole party AI thing going on. The macros are cool in PSIV because of the combinations you can get from various party actions. A little less structured than Chrono Trigger's Dual/Triple Tech systems, but no less awesome.