What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

I'm trying to decide if I should tackle Earthbound or Chrono Cross next. Never played either. Do you guys have any suggestions on which one I should pick?
xraydash
32-bit

Post by xraydash »

I just finished KOTOR, first time through. I'm a big time Star Wars nerd but even so, it's easily one of the finest games I've ever played. I had to scoop my jaw off the ground with that twist about two-thirds through! A very satisfying story. I chose the light side this time. I'm looking forward to another run sometime so I can see how choosing the dark side impacts the game.

Before that I stalled out on Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I just lost interest after meeting up with the party from the first game. There was quite a bit more to go but I had to move on. I'll pick it up again someday.

I'm not sure what I'm going to play next...
raztat
128-bit

Post by raztat »

glynnahab wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should tackle Earthbound or Chrono Cross next. Never played either. Do you guys have any suggestions on which one I should pick?

Chrono Cross. Its my favorite rpg, its one of the only rpgs that ive finished. I love that game. The music is really good, Ive downloaded the sound track and all the remixes I could find. The story is pretty good, Theres a nice twist about half way through. Theres alot of characters that can join your party also.

Im playing through Mana Khemia, this game is really fun. It may even replace chrono cross as my favorite, but I got to finish it first. Im only about 8 hours in, Im also slowly going through Link to the past for my first time, I got 2 dungeons left. I love the game but I just hate how some things are super hard to figure out. After these two im going to start playing through the NIPPON ICHI games and I might start on Lagoon or Illusions of Gia for the snes.
Intangir
16-bit

Post by Intangir »

glynnahab wrote:The voice acting during the battles on Star Ocean 2 always made me laugh. Not quite at the level of a Jill-sandwich, but pretty funny nevertheless.

Ha, yeah... Although that aspect of the game never bothered me as much as it probably should have for some reason. I mean it's grating when Celine's constantly spamming "Ray! Ray! Ray! Ray!", but for the most part it's not too distracting. The particularly bad samples are more amusing than obnoxious I guess. That's part of the charm behind Typing of the Dead, too, actually.

As for Earthbound vs Chrono Cross... I'm going to vote for Earthbound by default even though I never played it. I did play through Chrono Cross and hated it--I don't think I ever hated a game until Chrono Cross, actually. A lot of that hate is probably unjustified, though, as I had just come off Planescape: Torment which had left me struggling to reconcile what I really wanted from an RPG.

I'm probably one of the last people you should listen to for JRPG advice nowadays, come to think of it. :lol:
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

raztat wrote:Im playing through Mana Khemia, this game is really fun. It may even replace chrono cross as my favorite, but I got to finish it first. Im only about 8 hours in, Im also slowly going through Link to the past for my first time, I got 2 dungeons left. I love the game but I just hate how some things are super hard to figure out. After these two im going to start playing through the NIPPON ICHI games and I might start on Lagoon or Illusions of Gia for the snes.

I can tell you that you will have no problems figuring anything out on Illusion of Gaia - it's easy as hell. It's got solid gameplay and music that's pretty good even though it's a bit repetetive. But the dialogue and story are pretty weak.
I love the game, though, because it's one of the few RPGs (it's more of an action RPG) that I can pick up and play without having to dedicate more than an hour of my life.
peace4myheart
128-bit

Post by peace4myheart »

I am playing Zelda: A Link To The Past SNES emulation on PS2. Haven't played that game in ages and now all the memories are gushing back. It's a damn fine game and a timeless classic. It can stand with the best RPG of today.
Daniel Primed
64-bit

Post by Daniel Primed »

I am beginning my quest through the Final Fantasy games from 1-12. I am currently on the original and have been for a while, it is just so painfully dated and frustrating. The whole class system feels broken. I just want to skip it and work on Final Fantasy 6. Luckily I have Chrono Trigger and Secret of Evermore sitting there waiting to be experienced for the first time (I've never been a core RPG player). I am itching to play those.
General Chaos
128-bit

Post by General Chaos »

Mr. Stripe wrote:I've been playing Earthbound lately. I don't have it so I've just been playing it on the emulator, but I really like it. Never played through it before.

Anyone have recommendations for where to go next? My friend was trying to get me to buy tales of symphonia, so I think I might play that next, but I haven't really played through that many rpgs, so if anyone has any other good recommendations let me know.

I think a lot of people will disagree with me, but if you have a DS, you might try Contact. Personally, I think it's great and quite deep in terms of the skill system and number of items/weapons/etc. you can collect. The art style and music is also really cool...sort of has an Earthbound-ish feel to it. In fact, that's why most people didn't like the game as much; they were expecting Earthbound.
Mr. Stripe
24-bit

Post by Mr. Stripe »

General Chaos wrote:
Mr. Stripe wrote:I've been playing Earthbound lately. I don't have it so I've just been playing it on the emulator, but I really like it. Never played through it before.

Anyone have recommendations for where to go next? My friend was trying to get me to buy tales of symphonia, so I think I might play that next, but I haven't really played through that many rpgs, so if anyone has any other good recommendations let me know.

I think a lot of people will disagree with me, but if you have a DS, you might try Contact. Personally, I think it's great and quite deep in terms of the skill system and number of items/weapons/etc. you can collect. The art style and music is also really cool...sort of has an Earthbound-ish feel to it. In fact, that's why most people didn't like the game as much; they were expecting Earthbound.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I need to get more use out of my ds anyways. I wish Mother 3 was coming out here, I heard it's the pinnacle game of the Mother series...
deathred
32-bit

Post by deathred »

I've been playing Breath of Fire for the SNES, Front Mission for the DS and the GBA Castlevanias.

I've played KOTOR and I must say, once I'm done with these games, I headed towards KOTOR again.