by ZenErik Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Just starting Atelier Totori. So cute. :D
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Dougtron
8-bit

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by Dougtron Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm at the very end of Radiant Historia. I have maybe 20ish nodes left to get and I kinda just stopped playing it. No idea why though, amazing game.
eBay Account: Dougtrn (Feedback: 170)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:56 pm

If my DS worked I'd be all over that game.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:57 pm

dsheinem wrote:Image

Decided to jump to this instead of following up with Ys II?
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:08 pm

I can't play Blue Dragon... It literally puts me to sleep. It's not even like "god I'm so bored..." like a lecture, I just spontaneously reach a point where I can't keep my eyes open. I got my ass kicked by that first boss though, so hopefully that's a sign the whole game won't feel like a cakewalk. I have to say, I actually love grinding out battles in this game, even if the animations feel a bit excessive sometimes (considering they usually aren't even very interesting.)

This game is going to have an Overdrive-like system, right? That's the one reason I love JRPGs over games like Baldur's gate. Computer RPGs just don't capture that power trip as quickly or effectively (I'm not saying you can't run around as a straight up demi-god in Diablo, but it takes forgoddamnever) as JRPGs do.

I've also realized that all turn-based RPGs feel exactly the same to me... I get the same mindless grind-em-all mentality be it Shin Megami Tensai, Final Fantasy or Pokemon. How is Shadow Heartsk? I have a feeling that Blue Dragon is going to end up in my massive stack of unfinished games because it's just not doing it for me, and that's the next franchise I wanna pick out. I know that Covenant is kinda rare, but are the other two going up price-wise as well? I might go Gamestop hunting if that's the case.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:15 pm

sabrage wrote:I can't play Blue Dragon... It literally puts me to sleep. It's not even like "god I'm so bored..." like a lecture, I just spontaneously reach a point where I can't keep my eyes open. I got my ass kicked by that first boss though, so hopefully that's a sign the whole game won't feel like a cakewalk. I have to say, I actually love grinding out battles in this game, even if the animations feel a bit excessive sometimes (considering they usually aren't even very interesting.)

I do not understand how you can fall asleep when Ian Gillan does the boss theme.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 pm

MrPopo wrote:
sabrage wrote:I can't play Blue Dragon... It literally puts me to sleep. It's not even like "god I'm so bored..." like a lecture, I just spontaneously reach a point where I can't keep my eyes open. I got my ass kicked by that first boss though, so hopefully that's a sign the whole game won't feel like a cakewalk. I have to say, I actually love grinding out battles in this game, even if the animations feel a bit excessive sometimes (considering they usually aren't even very interesting.)

I do not understand how you can fall asleep when Ian Gillan does the boss theme.

Because I thought the song was terrible. *shrug*

I've started 3 RPGs now in the past few days. First, the aforementioned Blue Dragon.

Next up was Yggdra Union. If this is a preparation for the tutorials in Knights in the Nightmare, I'm clenching my stomach at the thought of going through an hour's worth of this. Still, the artwork is really pretty and it looks fantastic on that PSP screen. The most important thing, though, is that the battle system is actually pretty simple, even if the controls scheme is a bit... Involved. Plus, it's Sting, so it's entirely distinct from any other RPG. I'm definitely going to pick up Rivera on the PSP because, while I played the GBA version a bit, the enhanced visuals really make these games shine. I'm not sure whether I want to pick up a UMD copy of Yggdra Union... Maybe I'll find a box+manual-only copy, because I still have questions about the systems involved.

And to break in my new PS2, I started playing Final Fantasy XII. I forgot how nice the visuals on the PS2 really were, and I definitely need to snag a component cable for it. I managed to get my ass killed in the second battle of the game, and the load times when you skip a cutscene-which are used to mask loading times-are pretty awful, though thankfully you can skip them. Then when I got to the savepoint, my long-unused PS2 memory card wasn't reading... I panicked a little bit of playing through the first 10 minutes of the game again, but I cleaned it up and managed to save. That's as far s I've gotten.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:51 pm

What mainly puts me off from Blue Dragon is the character designs from Toriyama. I hate his designs. It's unfortunate that they're used in some of the best RPGs. :lol:
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:49 am

Return to RPG