Level up here
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by Xeogred Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Still playing Star Ocean 2. Thought I was gonna finish it last night... got murdered by the final boss. About 10 times. Tried every tactic imaginable, nothing worked as he has spells that can kill me in one hit. I think I'm underleveled, I started running away from battles in the final dungeon because I was running out of items. Probably a mistake. Time to grind a bit, I guess. :x I WILL finish this over the weekend!

How many hours do you have?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 am

MrPopo wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I she playing as the girl or as that other little......thing?

Sprite. You're better off if you're playing with two people as playing as the boy and the girl so you can chain cast with the sprite.

Bingo. I'm the main character and she's the girl.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 am

Xeogred wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Still playing Star Ocean 2. Thought I was gonna finish it last night... got murdered by the final boss. About 10 times. Tried every tactic imaginable, nothing worked as he has spells that can kill me in one hit. I think I'm underleveled, I started running away from battles in the final dungeon because I was running out of items. Probably a mistake. Time to grind a bit, I guess. :x I WILL finish this over the weekend!

How many hours do you have?

Final save point:

34:10

Weird thing about this game, it just kinda freezes and the music loops forever at the ending screen, like an old 8/16 bit game game. I'm so used to hitting X or A or start or whatever to be transported back to the main menu, but nope that doesn't happen here!

EDIT: I did finish the game after some grinding and whatnot, I just realized that I wrote about that in the games finished thread instead of here, ooops!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:53 am

Interesting, I always heard the game was like 100 hours long... lol. If it's not as big as it sounds, maybe I'll get back to it sooner than later.

I know I tend to hear the first Star Ocean is pretty short itself.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:43 am

Xeogred wrote:Interesting, I always heard the game was like 100 hours long... lol. If it's not as big as it sounds, maybe I'll get back to it sooner than later.

I know I tend to hear the first Star Ocean is pretty short itself.

I always heard the 100 hours thing too and I have no idea where that came from. Maybe people are talking about multiple playthroughs, as I'm pretty sure you'd have to play several times to see everything there is.

There is a bonus dungeon. I completed about a fourth of it (mostly to level up and to get items) and then went and fought the final boss. I guess I could tack on another 10 hours if I decided to finish that bonus dungeon. Apparently, there's a harder version of final boss you can fight, but it requires viewing a certain cut scene ("private action") that I missed. Sounds like you need to be at a very high level to beat this boss, so toss on another few hours for level grinding.

Bottom line: I can see one playthrough of this game taking 60 hours if you're grinding a great deal and trying to complete everything there is to see, but 100 sounds way to high. As I said, it took me about 35 hours (counting the final boss and ending) and I played at a fairly leisurely pace, only using a walkthrough at very end and when I absolutely needed to.

Like I said in an earlier post, if you're playing this for the first time I would consult a guide of some sort. Seems like every decent item/character/whatever can be missed very easily. The game was much harder for me because I missed out on getting the best physical fighter.

EDIT: Now that I think about, I think the whole "100 hours to beat!" thing probably harkens back to the day when developers would greatly exaggerate playing time as a selling point. Here's both versions of Star Ocean 2 on HowLongtoBeat:

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakd ... gameid=765
http://www.howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakd ... gameid=763

No 100 hour listings here...
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:28 pm

If you want some real 100 hour games then you could snag Dragon Quest VII or the two PS2 Persona games. Those all clock in easily at 70-80 hours just doing the main story and get longer if you do the sidequests.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:34 am

How about Shin Megami Tensei? I'm a lot more interested in those than Persona myself honestly. I can imagine they might be pretty big too though.

@BoneSnapDeez: interesting to hear, now I might not be so weary of approaching it again to play it, haha. I could definitely believe if it harkens back to developer claims, they always did that all the time haha. I think the most I spent on a JRPG was probably FFIX with 90 some hours doing everything, didn't even max out the characters though since grinding wasn't pathetically easy like FFVII-VIII.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:08 am

Xeogred wrote:How about Shin Megami Tensei? I'm a lot more interested in those than Persona myself honestly. I can imagine they might be pretty big too though.

I don't remember how long my Nocturne playthrough, but it was long. I went for the True Demon ending, though, which extended things by several hours to do the bonus dungeon and grind for the bonus boss. Strange Journey is 30ish if I recall correctly, though you want to do a second playthrough if you want to do everything, since there's a bonus area and bonus boss if you are on new game plus.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 am

I can't do the insanely long games, 35 hours is where I like them. I've made a couple of exceptions (FFVII and Tales of Symphonia both took me about 56 or so) but all of these 70-100 hour games scare me away.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 am

I started up Xenoblade Chronicles yesterday. So....many....sidequests....
Return to RPG