Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:54 am

sgt.flanders wrote:I've recently been playing Secret of the Stars just out of morbid curiosity. Boy is that game a complete mess.

OH DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! My sincerest condolences.

A couple of tips:
Save any and all MP restoration items. The final boss is almost impossible without them until you're severely overleveled.
Don't both grinding/leveling up the "adult" party too much. You almost never use them.
Just use a walkthrough. The game is cryptic as hell later on and features some downright stupid ass puzzles (finding a nail by pulling it out of the side of a house...wtf).

Enjoy the kusoge!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 am

mobiusclimber wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Thanks for the tip, it worked! I controlled Rena (the healer) instead of Claude (physical fighter) during the entire fight. Just kept spamming heal-all spells and the boss eventually went down.

Man, did you play the whole game without switching characters during the battles? That's almost a prerequisite for getting anywhere! In fact, I'd switch around to the different characters if I needed them to do something specific (since once you get them started, they'll usually spam doing whatever you get them started doing, or since some of the better spells have long casting times, you can switch back when they're done casting it).

Yeah............. I was dumb. Guess the AI of the secondary characters isn't as smart as it is in similar games (like Tales of Symphonia). Seems like the offensive spellcasters are just "slow" unless I'm controlling them. Lesson learned!
Overload
128-bit

by Overload Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 am

Currently playing Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of the Ancient Arts on the DS. I've gone through everything but the pyramid, which is brutal. I'm grinding to gain levels and art points. If someone else has this game and wants to form a party, please exchange friend codes with me. At the moment, I'm a lvl 56 oros mage.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 am

Zing wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:
Zing wrote:The GBA versions of each game have better translations than on the PlayStation, yes.

The Chrono Trigger PlayStation version really only has loading time when going into the menu screen. Although, I have seen people report battle loading times of up to 10x longer than I saw on my PSone system. Maybe a bad disc or a dirty CD lens, not sure.

The load times are horrible going into battle if you've played any other version. There's no reason at all to play the PS1 version today unless you can't afford anything else.

Battle loading times on my system were normal. I initially thought they were long, but after playing the Super NES version, I see this is just how the game is. At worst the load times are about 1.5 seconds longer than on the SNES.

what if i play it on an emulator are there loading times at all?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:53 am

If you're going to emulate you might as well just emulate the superior SNES version...
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:If you're going to emulate you might as well just emulate the superior SNES version...

doesnt the ps1 version have cutscenes? if the emulator has no load times how is the snes version superior. i know i could just play the ds one but i dont like handhelds
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:58 am

The cut scenes are pretty rare, and the best one is the one that plays at the game's intro. I don't think the addition of the cut scenes really makes the game "better", unless you're a huge anime fan or something. I dunno, the game just plays and "feels" so much better on its original hardware (SNES).

(by the way, if you play on an emulator make sure you use a USB controller as there's one spot in the game where you need to press several buttons at the same time which I guess doesn't register on keyboards)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:00 am

trying to find the motivation to do some grinding in Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together. :?

I know I asked this elsewhere, but what kind of character levels would you recommend for the final dungeon of the game (Hanging Gardens/Eden) ? Where would you suggest doing some quick low-risk high-reward grinding?
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:05 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:(by the way, if you play on an emulator make sure you use a USB controller as there's one spot in the game where you need to press several buttons at the same time which I guess doesn't register on keyboards)

Only if you have a shitty keyboard. :wink:

I've been playing Persona on the PSP, but I don't know if I'll keep playing the series. Do the later games in the series keep the first person exploration (which turned me off of Strange Journey) and the town map overworld? (turned me off of Nocturne) I do prefer the combat to the Wizardry-style first-person style.
Kahokian
24-bit

by Kahokian Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:10 pm

I just started in on Final Fantast XII and must I say I am absolutely in love with this moooo foooo. I love the fact it steered away from the traditional FF gameplay and I find the while Licensing Points, Gambits and Clan Primer aspects of the game to be an absolute freakin awesome idea. It has just really drawn me in. The majority of my friends said they just really couldnt get into 12 but I have one buddy who swears it is the best in series. Im 5 hrs in and have barely even got involved in the storyline and I find myself wanting to know more and more and just explore the beautiful environment of this game......!!!

What would you do if your son was at home
Crying all alone on the bedroom floor
'Cause he's hungry
And the only way to feed him is to
Sleep with a man for a little bit of money
And his daddys gone
Somewhere smoking rock now
In and out of lock-down
I ain't got a job now
So for you this is just a good time
But for me this is what I call life

IDK WTF THIS SONG RANDOMLY CAME TO MIND LMAO but tell me someone remembers it