What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by MrPopo »

You know what, I can agree with you on Nei vs. the rotating fourth party member; Minwu is pretty much the only one who really has good narrative value outside "we needed a fourth guy until we finally give you Leon".
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pierrot wrote:This is madness!

It’s just a more enjoyable game! The leveling mechanics are more than a bit awkward, and the story knocks off Star Wars really hard. There is some strategy to the battles, however, and you don’t have to grind so, so much. The game demonstrates some respect for the player’s time, unlike PSII, which pretty much seethes with animosity toward anyone attempting to play it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

FFII > FFXV
Ack

Post by Ack »

I've started up Menzoberranzan, yet another of the famous Dungeons and Dragons games of the 1980s and '90s. This one is a step forward from the likes of Eye of the Beholder, and it feels like someone thought 3D was the hot new thing that absolutely had to be experimented with...for better or worse. As a result, it's taking some getting used to, though I am picking up the interface as I go.

The game is set in the Forgotten Realms universe, so that means I'm gonna have to meet up with the most famous dark elf in D&D history. Basically your home town gets overrun by Drow, who take the citizens for slaves back to their great underground city. Guess who has to go get them back. At least I don't have to worry about food in this one.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I started Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (in Japanese) today, and it's quite good fun! The writing isn't that engaging coming off of Paper Mario: Color Splash, but the humor is fun when it's there.

As a game, it's been surprisingly good so far! Everything I'd heard of Paper Jam was that it was "just another Mario & Luigi game," but it's honestly a lot of change-ups that the series had needed for a while. The way Paper Mario acts like a 3rd party member whose abilities are noticably different from normal Mario & Luigi works much better mechanically than the babies did in Partners in Time, and the Dodeka-Craft battles (whatever the giant robot fights are called in English XP) are a way to make the giant battles introduced in Inside Story FINALLY fun and not just a slow, boring chore to do after the first one or two. The only real complaint I have is that you'll occasionally have an attack that's a bit too hard to dodge on account of not playing the game in 3D (and because I'm playing it on a 2DSXL, I'm kinda SOL in that regard XP). Regardless, this is quickly providing stiff competition for the #2 slot for my favorite M&L game ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Alright so I beat Lich and then went off exploring trying to remember where to go next. After 20 mins or so... my GBA battery died. What!? So yeah. I was pretty furious. My gaming time is valuable right now, so lost progress is just super discouraging. This might cause me to take a break from Final Fantasy for now. Maybe play something a little lighter. Ugh.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

noiseredux wrote:Alright so I beat Lich and then went off exploring trying to remember where to go next. After 20 mins or so... my GBA battery died. What!? So yeah. I was pretty furious. My gaming time is valuable right now, so lost progress is just super discouraging. This might cause me to take a break from Final Fantasy for now. Maybe play something a little lighter. Ugh.

That sucks. Reminds me of the first time I played FF4. I had just bought a FF2 SNES cart off eBay (this was some years ago now) and started a new save file. I was several hours into the game when the cart dropped my save file. I was really pissed off because I was having a blast playing it, but was too far in to start over. Well, I ended up starting over on the PS1 version, but I made a mistake. I rushed through it to get to where I was, then I got a little further, then I realized I was severely under leveled and was getting my ass kicked. So I stopped playing. It was years later that I finally started a new save file and beat the game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Terminator "Metako" just finished speedrun marathoning Final Fantasy 1 through 15 this morning at 92 hours. Minus 11 and 14 of course, but yeah. ONE THROUGH FIFTEEN. He took hour breaks every 24 hours. I've watched this guy do some of his past 1-13 marathons before, but this was unreal. There was another guy that ran most of the DQ franchise and hit 80 some hours, it looked like he was at death's door and seriously concerning. This Metako guy though, he didn't really seem phased. Definitely blessed with some insane genes or something.

https://twitter.com/Met4ko/status/1163449915487531010

Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, I have beaten Menzoberranzan and will write up a couple of posts about it soon, but now I'm facing a conundrum. Should I finally attempt the first Might & Magic, knowing that I will want to port my party to the second and may get burned out, or should I jump up to Might and Magic 7, which is the next game I have to play in the 6-8 block of the series?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I vote you do M&M1; it's quite impressive what they did with the maps (you better be mapping it). Whether or not you then go on to 2 immediately will come down to how you're feeling at the end of 1. You'll definitely want to import because you'll start off a higher level than if you created new characters, so your 2 start will be significantly easier.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.