What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Right now I am playing through beaten kaitos on my wii. I am hooked on gamecube games right now since I did not own one, but with the wii I now do!
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
kgcarini
32-bit

Post by kgcarini »

SpaceBooger wrote:Right now I am playing through beaten kaitos on my wii. I am hooked on gamecube games right now since I did not own one, but with the wii I now do!

How is the game so far? I'm thinking of getting a copy soon.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

kgcarini wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:Right now I am playing through beaten kaitos on my wii. I am hooked on gamecube games right now since I did not own one, but with the wii I now do!

How is the game so far? I'm thinking of getting a copy soon.

I am enjoying it. There was a bit of a learning curve since the battle system is not standard turn based (i.e. Final Fantasy), instead it is card based.
Since I have never played a trading card based game like Magic, Pokemon, or any of those other ones this made it more fun because I had to learn a new type of game.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
raztat
128-bit

Post by raztat »

Intangir wrote:
glynnahab wrote:The voice acting during the battles on Star Ocean 2 always made me laugh. Not quite at the level of a Jill-sandwich, but pretty funny nevertheless.

Ha, yeah... Although that aspect of the game never bothered me as much as it probably should have for some reason. I mean it's grating when Celine's constantly spamming "Ray! Ray! Ray! Ray!", but for the most part it's not too distracting. The particularly bad samples are more amusing than obnoxious I guess. That's part of the charm behind Typing of the Dead, too, actually.

As for Earthbound vs Chrono Cross... I'm going to vote for Earthbound by default even though I never played it. I did play through Chrono Cross and hated it--I don't think I ever hated a game until Chrono Cross, actually. A lot of that hate is probably unjustified, though, as I had just come off Planescape: Torment which had left me struggling to reconcile what I really wanted from an RPG.

I'm probably one of the last people you should listen to for JRPG advice nowadays, come to think of it. :lol:

You sure its not chrono trigger? cross was for the psx
Intangir
16-bit

Post by Intangir »

Well the question as glynnahab phrased it was "Chrono Cross or Earthbound?"

'course if they meant Trigger, I'd vote for that instead. It's hard to not like Chrono Trigger even today since the game managed to successfully break some of the more-annoying JRPG conventions. Factor in how well put together the rest of the game is and you're left with one of the best RPGs for the SNES.

But I still think they really were talking about Chrono Cross since, on a retro gaming board, who hasn't already played Chrono Trigger?
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

Yeah it was Chrono Cross I was talking about. I replayed Chrono Trigger recently, and it sparked a curiosity in me about Cross. I've heard almost only positive reviews of the game, but Earthbound seems to have its own flavor. I've sampled each game for about 5-10 minutes, but right now I'm in the middle of replaying FF7 and I prefer to play only one RPG at a time. (Maybe I should just play these games instead of RE-playing every old RPG that I loved back in the day. I could probably finish both games within the time it would take me to finish FF7.)

I'm still on the fence with it right now, but you guys have provided some insightful opinions. It might come down to a coin flip. :D
ns12123
16-bit

Post by ns12123 »

I'm playing Lunar: SSS. Sega CD version. I'm almost finished with it. Not sure what I'll start after it, I have quite a backlog.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

I'm playing Final Fantasy VI Advance.
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

Gothic 2 for the pc good action/rpg
Scooter
Next-Gen

Post by Scooter »

I am well into Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's hard to make progress on the games as I often don't have hours to devote solely to game play. Well, that and I easily get distracted in quite a number of other games, I'm trying to finish Silent Hill 4 and I just finished Snatcher and I recently just started Okami, Headhunter and Seaman.

Yes, I start too many things at once!