What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
opa
128-bit

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by opa »

I'm around 15 hours into Skies of Arcadia Legends. Maybe I just spend too much time exploring and I've overlevelled, but the random encounters don't pose much of a threat in this game? Also, if I were colorblind I'd imagine this game would be a pain in the rear end.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

opa wrote:Also, if I were colorblind I'd imagine this game would be a pain in the rear end.

I think I actually memorized the order of the color-switching when I played it.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

opa wrote:I'm around 15 hours into Skies of Arcadia Legends. Maybe I just spend too much time exploring and I've overlevelled, but the random encounters don't pose much of a threat in this game? Also, if I were colorblind I'd imagine this game would be a pain in the rear end.

If you are playing Legends, then you are playing the GameCube version.

The random encounters were toned down for that version compared to the DreamCast.

But, yes, random encounters are kind of easy especially if you do a ton of exploring and finding all of the Discoveries.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I have bested Might & Magic Book One and moved on to Might & Magic II.

Porting the party from the first game to the second has some interesting limitations. For one, all ported characters are dropped down to level 7. All equipment is removed, gold is reduced to 1000, while gems come in at 100. Also, any stat over 20 is dropped down to 20.

Yet such a party still has a substantial leg up on base characters who start in the sequel. While they at least start with weapons, I was able to swap those over to the ported party and then deleted them.

Of course, there are some new additions to the system, so skills and spells must be purchased in the M&M2 fashion; they don't simply unlock at certain levels as in the first game.

I look forward to what I have been told is an occasionally ridiculous experiment in updating the Might & Magic experience. Already I have faced a battle against 60-ish blood sucking bats, and I hear the number can get up to 255 enemies in a single combat...
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, the way M&MII's scaling works is that the type of enemy is based on where you are, then the number of enemies is based on your strength. So if you, say, decide to massively grind then all your fights will have all the enemies in them.

M&MII serves as the transition point between M&MI's "I am a better Wizardry/Bard's Tale" and the M&MIII style. So now the overworld map doesn't use walls; instead you have special tiles (like forest and mountain) that block you off without the right skills. Enemy encounters are still random and on a separate screen, so you can't just clear them out. Also, make sure you have pen and paper handy when you get to the end of the game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Yes! I beat Might & Magic! Thanks, Ack! :lol:

Looking forward to reading about M&MII.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I started Growlanser III: The Dual Darkness on the Sony Playstation 2 this evening!

One of the reasons I chose the Working Designs category was I would be playing Growlanser III rather soon. There is a very small chance I might beat it in October, so I figured I would get a head start just in case it wins.

I played Growlanser II way back in 2016 and since I own the Growlanser Generations collections, I figured it was time to play the other one. I loved Growlanser II, so I'm very excited to play this one. The major difference is that you can now walk around towns and the world map as it feels like a normal RPG in that way. It's a little weird in that way.

More importantly, I <3 Annette!
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I started Wild Arms 4 on the Sony Playstation 2 this evening!

I have played through the first three Wild Arms games as I have always been a big fan of the series. They are very unique games and I always loved the Wild West Scenario that they all take place in.

When I picked up Wild Arms 4 and saw that they removed the Wild West theme for a more Final Fantasy-esque theme, I was a little disappointed. I also saw many reviews calling the game fine, but nothing too exciting.

After playing it today, I can say that all my doubts were put to rest. Wild Arms 4 is amazing. It is like the perfect RPG Comfort Food that I adore so much. The battles are fast faced and very unique with the hex grid. The music is utterly astounding! And the characters are a little stereotypical, but they are likable enough and I like the world around them.

I've only just started the game, but it has been fantastic so far!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I didn't even know there was more than one Wild Arms game. I learned something new today!

I've put down Skies of Arcadia for the moment and swapped back to Chrono Trigger. I'm playing the PS1 port and despite all the negativity I've heard over the years about the load times, it isn't unplayable. I'll take some loading if I can use wireless controllers and not drag out a Super Nintendo. Also, I find it amazing that nearly twenty years after release you can still buy the PS1 FF games and compilations brand new for dirt cheap.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Wild Arms 2 is on the PS1.

Wild Arms 3, 4 & 5 are on the PS2. Also, Wild Arms: Alter Code F, which is a remake of Wild Arms 1 is on the PS2.

I'll walk into used game stores to this day and see sealed copies of the Final Fantasy Compilations on the shelf. Chrono Trigger on the PS1 isn't unplayable, but it is a bit annoying. I'd rather play the SNES version, but the PS1 one would do in a pinch.