What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah I wouldn't recommend the PS1 ports of FFV or Chrono Trigger unless you have the patience of a monk. If you don't want to track down the original games, try Chrono Trigger on the DS and FF V on the GBA. Fantastic ports.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

The GBA versions of each game have better translations than on the PlayStation, yes.

The Chrono Trigger PlayStation version really only has loading time when going into the menu screen. Although, I have seen people report battle loading times of up to 10x longer than I saw on my PSone system. Maybe a bad disc or a dirty CD lens, not sure.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Zing wrote:The GBA versions of each game have better translations than on the PlayStation, yes.

The Chrono Trigger PlayStation version really only has loading time when going into the menu screen. Although, I have seen people report battle loading times of up to 10x longer than I saw on my PSone system. Maybe a bad disc or a dirty CD lens, not sure.

The load times are horrible going into battle if you've played any other version. There's no reason at all to play the PS1 version today unless you can't afford anything else.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

BoringSupreez wrote:
Zing wrote:The GBA versions of each game have better translations than on the PlayStation, yes.

The load times are horrible going into battle if you've played any other version. There's no reason at all to play the PS1 version today unless you can't afford anything else.

Crap, wish I wound have known that before I bought FF Chronicles and FF Anthology. I got Chrono Trigger on SNES so I guess it doesn't matter. I just want all the main series Final Fantasy's. I might get the GBA versions of 5/6 instead. The PSP version of FF4 is so tempting.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

SwooshBear wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:

Crap, wish I wound have known that before I bought FF Chronicles and FF Anthology. I got Chrono Trigger on SNES so I guess it doesn't matter. I just want all the main series Final Fantasy's. I might get the GBA versions of 5/6 instead. The PSP version of FF4 is so tempting.

If you want the best versions that don't involve emulation/repros, I'd get the GBA version of V and VI and the PSP version of IV. VI Advance gives up a bit in sound quality but has a couple extra espers and an extra dungeon.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

BoringSupreez wrote:

What about on the PS3 playing the digital copy of the PS1 version of FFV? It was free, so yeah hard to argue with the price.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

MrPopo wrote:If you want the best versions that don't involve emulation/repros, I'd get the GBA version of V and VI and the PSP version of IV. VI Advance gives up a bit in sound quality but has a couple extra espers and an extra dungeon.

Sounds good, I'll have to get those. I've had my eye on the PSP version of IV for some time, since it has After Years included. I'm just waiting for the price to drop a bit.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Post by mobiusclimber »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Thanks for the tip, it worked! I controlled Rena (the healer) instead of Claude (physical fighter) during the entire fight. Just kept spamming heal-all spells and the boss eventually went down.

Man, did you play the whole game without switching characters during the battles? That's almost a prerequisite for getting anywhere! In fact, I'd switch around to the different characters if I needed them to do something specific (since once you get them started, they'll usually spam doing whatever you get them started doing, or since some of the better spells have long casting times, you can switch back when they're done casting it).

As for playing the PS1 FF games, I think it comes down to whether you've played the other games elsewhere or not. I hadn't played CT or FFV, and it had been quite awhile since I'd played IV so I didn't really notice the load times too much. (Not even in VI even tho I'd beaten it several times over a few years before getting the PS1 version.)
I have a ton of games listed at my store's site: Super Smash Video Games
sgt.flanders
16-bit

Post by sgt.flanders »

I've recently been playing Secret of the Stars just out of morbid curiosity. Boy is that game a complete mess.

Don't pay the ferryman.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

BoringSupreez wrote:

Battle loading times on my system were normal. I initially thought they were long, but after playing the Super NES version, I see this is just how the game is. At worst the load times are about 1.5 seconds longer than on the SNES.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay