What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by pierrot »

noiseredux wrote:
MrPopo wrote:FFII is much better once you know how to abuse the stat system.

is it really "much" better, though?

For Popo, I’m sure it is. I knew going in how to abuse the growth systems, but purposely tried to not do it, to see how long it might be viable. My verdict was that it wasn’t for very long. All that really happened when I made my party into near super beings was that I was able to beat it. Otherwise, I didn’t find it more enjoyable, and just the fact that it’s essentially a requirement to break the game made me more upset with it. Story’s pretty uninteresting for how much work they put into it, too. I think Phantasy Star II pulled off a way better story, and around the same time, even.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

pierrot wrote:For Popo, I’m sure it is.

For me, if I want to play a FF game with interesting systems I'd just opt for V or Tactics. II sucks.

I think Phantasy Star II pulled off a way better story, and around the same time, even.

Everything about Phantasy Star II is better than Final Fantasy II. Even with the excessive grinding and confusing dungeons, I vastly prefer Phantasy Star II.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:
I think Phantasy Star II pulled off a way better story, and around the same time, even.

Everything about Phantasy Star II is better than Final Fantasy II. Even with the excessive grinding and confusing dungeons, I vastly prefer Phantasy Star II.

I find this to be a fascinating statement. Final Fantasy II you can make yourself a physical god within the first 30 minutes and from that point on you can focus entirely on the story. And honestly I think FFII's story is told better than PSII's; PSII seems to focus more on the fact that it has large sprites and forgets to properly set up lines of conversation or that it still doesn't actually have the detail needed to properly render stuff well.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah unpopular opinion(?) but I find Final Fantasy II to be the better game. Despite the wonky leveling system it's actually way more streamlined and fun to play. PSII has gorgeous aesthetics, but they can't make up for the fact that the game is an absolute slog.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

you guys are weird.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Bone seems to be the sane one here. I'm willing to grant if that you play through both games as "I'm going to march forward and grind cash when I need it" then PSII will play better.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

noiseredux wrote:you guys are weird.

I’m with you on this one, Noise. I feel like FFII kind of devalues the rotating party member, narratively, unlike Nei. I find the main antagonist of PSII to be much more interesting, and the ending/continued world building is at least a bajillion times better. Also, spoilers, Lutz. I Don’t even love PSII—it’s just all right. FFII is pretty no bueno, for reals, though. I like it a little bit, anyway, but it deserves its reputation.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I love/hate Phantasy Star II. I think the first game is better, honestly. But I love the world/atmosphere/music/characters.

I just plain hate Final Fantasy II.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Jumping in to break the tie...

FFII > PSII
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

This is madness!