What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
Ack

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by Ack »

The computer I was on could barely handle Gothic 2, so I gave up on it. That's fine, I have plenty more to play...

...like Pool of Radiance! I created a party this week and spent last night messing around in it, learning the system, getting a grip on combat, figuring out how the magic system works, etc. I think I'll be remaking this party and restarting, since I haven't made any real progress. I was only in the slums and hadn't explored much; most of my early time was being spent on getting basic equipment ready to go.

I feel like there are also a lot of strategies that I am not yet aware of, and the first fight with a bunch of goblin guards and their commander left half my party dead, so I'm happy to scratch this run and start again.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I really really hope you love the Gold Box games. AD&D has its mechanical idiosyncrasies, but the rule set works surprisingly well as SSI represents it in those Gold Box games.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:The computer I was on could barely handle Gothic 2, so I gave up on it. That's fine, I have plenty more to play...

...like Pool of Radiance! I created a party this week and spent last night messing around in it, learning the system, getting a grip on combat, figuring out how the magic system works, etc. I think I'll be remaking this party and restarting, since I haven't made any real progress. I was only in the slums and hadn't explored much; most of my early time was being spent on getting basic equipment ready to go.

I feel like there are also a lot of strategies that I am not yet aware of, and the first fight with a bunch of goblin guards and their commander left half my party dead, so I'm happy to scratch this run and start again.

Woo woo!

So something I must warn you about. AD&D 1E rules include caps on nonhumans leveling ability. This won't be an issue in Pool of Radiance, but will become an issue if you play the other three games in the series. However, in Curse of the Azure Bonds there are also two new classes. So many people will play what they want in Pool, then when they start Curse they create a new party (which will be levelled appropriately) of humans that take advantage of the new classes as well.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I have made a mistake. I started playing this:

pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I really want to replay FF IX right now, or not. I've been sort of debating what to do about my RPG goals, and where I want to begin my attack from, this year. Something has been pulling me toward the PS1 lately, though. I've been flirting with replaying DQ IV, or starting DQ VII, Xenogears, or Valkyrie Profile, also. When I tried getting some input from Backloggery's Fortune Cookie, it told me pretty quickly to go with FF IX. I've been sort of itching to play it again since watching the run of it at AGDQ, but it's such a huge game, and I don't know if I want to (or really even can) invest that much time this year into something I've beaten before.

I really need to finish SMT if... one of these days, though.
Ack

Post by Ack »

If you've beaten FFIX before and you're on the fence, I say drop it in favor of something new. The others are all good choices, particularly if you've never experienced them before.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Have you played Treasure of the Rudras, pierrot?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I haven't, but I also don't own it, so it's unlikely that I'd play it before clearing out more of my SNES RPG backlog first, even though I could play it on the Everdrive. Along with the PS1, I was thinking about making this a SNES RPG heavy year, too. I probably need to play Mario RPG, Live A Live, Treasure Hunter G, Slapstick (Robotrek), and the Romancing Sagas at some point.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Oh man, the Romancing SaGas. They can be a bit obtuse in their systems, but once you know what's going on under the hood they're extremely enjoyable.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Woke game.
High IQ soundtrack.
Nice thicc cartridge.