something something something TACTICS

Level up here
marurun

something something something TACTICS

Post by marurun »

There was a period of time about a decade or so ago where a number of companies took their games of various genres and turned them into turn-based tactical combat games: Onimusha Tactics, R-Type Tactics, etc...

I've been wondering what other games might make great turn-based tactical combat games or tactical RPGs. What thoughts do you guys have on the subject?

I'll offer up an example of something that occurred to me. After reading about Star Fox 2 having rudimentary turn-based elements (later re-used for the DS Star Fox Command), it occurred to me that there's enough content and personality in the Star Fox universe for a fully-realized Star Fox Tactics game, with RPG elements to boot. You could even go full-Fire Emblem and have permadeath and leveling.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: something something something TACTICS

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

My Little Pony Tactics - lead the Equestrian Royal Guard in the defense of the Crystal Empire from the Changeling Swarm

(kidding but not really)

Dragon Age Tactics - fighting the Archdemon and the forces of the Blight

Star Trek Tactics - basically Star Trek Armada but turn based instead of real time

Mass Effect Tactics - control Alliance defenders from the Collectors

Resident Evil Tactics - control Raccoon City Police Department after the initial outbreak

Army Men Tactics - a turn based strategy version of Sarge's Heroes
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Resident Evil Tactics - control Raccoon City Police Department after the initial outbreak

I'd play it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The key is going to be whether or not a given property already has, or can tolerate creation of, enough detail and depth to support varied unit types on both sides, an underlying story that ties scenarios together, and a good base setting.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I mean, they're making Mario & Raving Rabbids Tactics, so I imagine you could make just about anything work.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

alienjesus wrote:I mean, they're making Mario & Raving Rabbids Tactics, so I imagine you could make just about anything work.

And that game looks fantastic... so yeah, anything is possible!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Mega Man Tactics.

Not sure if it would work better with the original series or the X series (I'm leaning original).
Anyway, you could recruit/reprogram some of the robot masters and enemies you defeat. Mega as your team leader can learn all robot master abilities. Roll, Rush, and Proto man are on your team of course.

Even better if battles switch to real boss battles, maybe with a damage limit.
...just another lost soul...
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

nightrnr wrote:Mega Man Tactics.

Not sure if it would work better with the original series or the X series (I'm leaning original).
Anyway, you could recruit/reprogram some of the robot masters and enemies you defeat. Mega as your team leader can learn all robot master abilities. Roll, Rush, and Proto man are on your team of course.

Even better if battles switch to real boss battles, maybe with a damage limit.

Battle network!!! I do like your idea more though haha!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Star Trek Tactics - basically Star Trek Armada but turn based instead of real time

There was Birth of the Federation which is a half-decent 4X strategy game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Michi wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Resident Evil Tactics - control Raccoon City Police Department after the initial outbreak

I'd play it.

Wouldn't you prefer to play a game that's beatable, like Nethack without spoilers?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.