Level up here
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 8627
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

something something something TACTICS

by marurun Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:53 pm

There was a period of time about a decade or so ago where a number of companies took their games of various genres and turned them into turn-based tactical combat games: Onimusha Tactics, R-Type Tactics, etc...

I've been wondering what other games might make great turn-based tactical combat games or tactical RPGs. What thoughts do you guys have on the subject?

I'll offer up an example of something that occurred to me. After reading about Star Fox 2 having rudimentary turn-based elements (later re-used for the DS Star Fox Command), it occurred to me that there's enough content and personality in the Star Fox universe for a fully-realized Star Fox Tactics game, with RPG elements to boot. You could even go full-Fire Emblem and have permadeath and leveling.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6975
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: something something something TACTICS

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:23 pm

My Little Pony Tactics - lead the Equestrian Royal Guard in the defense of the Crystal Empire from the Changeling Swarm

(kidding but not really)

Dragon Age Tactics - fighting the Archdemon and the forces of the Blight

Star Trek Tactics - basically Star Trek Armada but turn based instead of real time

Mass Effect Tactics - control Alliance defenders from the Collectors

Resident Evil Tactics - control Raccoon City Police Department after the initial outbreak

Army Men Tactics - a turn based strategy version of Sarge's Heroes
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
Image
User avatar
Michi
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4269
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Florida

Re: something something something TACTICS

by Michi Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:53 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Resident Evil Tactics - control Raccoon City Police Department after the initial outbreak

I'd play it.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 8627
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: something something something TACTICS

by marurun Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:56 pm

The key is going to be whether or not a given property already has, or can tolerate creation of, enough detail and depth to support varied unit types on both sides, an underlying story that ties scenarios together, and a good base setting.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: something something something TACTICS

by alienjesus Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

I mean, they're making Mario & Raving Rabbids Tactics, so I imagine you could make just about anything work.
Image
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6510
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: something something something TACTICS

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:18 pm

alienjesus wrote:I mean, they're making Mario & Raving Rabbids Tactics, so I imagine you could make just about anything work.


And that game looks fantastic... so yeah, anything is possible!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
nightrnr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: something something something TACTICS

by nightrnr Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Mega Man Tactics.

Not sure if it would work better with the original series or the X series (I'm leaning original).
Anyway, you could recruit/reprogram some of the robot masters and enemies you defeat. Mega as your team leader can learn all robot master abilities. Roll, Rush, and Proto man are on your team of course.

Even better if battles switch to real boss battles, maybe with a damage limit.
...just another lost soul...
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6510
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: something something something TACTICS

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:45 pm

nightrnr wrote:Mega Man Tactics.

Not sure if it would work better with the original series or the X series (I'm leaning original).
Anyway, you could recruit/reprogram some of the robot masters and enemies you defeat. Mega as your team leader can learn all robot master abilities. Roll, Rush, and Proto man are on your team of course.

Even better if battles switch to real boss battles, maybe with a damage limit.


Battle network!!! I do like your idea more though haha!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4473
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: something something something TACTICS

by Gunstar Green Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:27 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Star Trek Tactics - basically Star Trek Armada but turn based instead of real time


There was Birth of the Federation which is a half-decent 4X strategy game.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 21982
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: something something something TACTICS

by MrPopo Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Michi wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Resident Evil Tactics - control Raccoon City Police Department after the initial outbreak

I'd play it.

Wouldn't you prefer to play a game that's beatable, like Nethack without spoilers?
Image
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to RPG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests