D&D Style Console & Handheld RPGs

Level up here
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

D&D Style Console & Handheld RPGs

Post by Jagosaurus »

Hi all, For quite some time I've wanted to experience the D&D 3DO games (AD&D Slayer & Deathkeep). What other similar console & handheld options are there?

I'm looking for NES to PS2 eras regarding consoles. May use emus on oXbox mod for save states. I don't own a PSP. I'll be emulating GB, GBC, GBA. I have a DS/3DS.

For this specific genre discussion, I'm more interested in real time versus turn based (so not Shining in the Darkness, PS2 Wizardy, etc).

I know we have:
AD&D Slayer - 3DO
AD&D Deathkeep - 3DO
Orcs & Elves - DS
Eye of the Beholder - SNES, Sega CD, GBA
Towers II - Atari Jaguar

I've been tempted to drop the cash on Towers II ($120) on the Jaguar for a few years now, but am open to other more accessible suggestions. This isn't a sub genre I'm up to speed on at all! Know I'm missing a lot. Help me out 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: D&D Style Console & Handheld RPGs

Post by Exhuminator »

I think you'll find this link useful:

https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/du ... t,0/so,3a/

There's 5 pages of stuff to sort through.

If you're looking for realtime action with D&D flavor, these would be my immediate suggestions:

Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes

And the best realtime action-RPGs I've played descended from D&D (Forgotten Realms):
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thank you good sir! I'll dig through that list in detail.

At first glance, I need to look further into older PC emu for DOS (familiar w DOSbox), Atari ST, Comm64, etc. Also, need to expand into turn based. I was thinking most were real time.

Immediately a few jump out:
Order of the Gryfinn - TG16
D&D Warrior of the Eternal Sun - Genesis

I own Demon Stone and really enjoyed the 2 hours or so I put into it while testing it. :) On my backlog.

I wasn't overly impressed with Baldurs Gate. I put in a solid dozen hours or so. I wanted to finish it & maybe will some day. I can see the appeal. I just think it was a victim of over hype for me.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Jagosaurus wrote:D&D Warrior of the Eternal Sun - Genesis

A lot of people say this is a great Ultima-inspired RPG. But the battle system IIRC is not realtime. I thought you were looking for realtime?

If you're looking for really oldschool D&D stuff, you won't find anything better than the Gold Box games. GOG has these already ready to go, with emulators built right in:

https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_real ... ection_one (EotB trilogy)

https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_real ... ection_two (Gold Box classics)

https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_real ... tion_three (Dungeon Hack and Menzoberranzan)

They've also got Demon Stone:

https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_demon_stone

If you only buy one collection though, get collection number two.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, I was hunting real time, but I didn't really know some many of these were turn based as well. Probably need to open my options there.

Awesome. I'm not "in the know" for GOG. I had no idea the emu was built in. Assumed you had the file but the rest was up to you.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Jagosaurus wrote:Yeah, I was hunt real time but I didn't really know some many of these were turn based as well. Probably need to open my options there.

Awesome. I'm not "in the know" for GOG. I had no idea the emu was built in. Assumed you had the file but the rest was up to you.

When you download a GOG game, it has no DRM, meaning you can play the game offline or back up the installation executable however you like. When you install GOG versions of DOS games, the install makes a shortcut on your desktop. You just double click the shortcut and the game starts up perfectly, no screwing around with emulator settings required. Each game is tailored specific by the GOG crew to utilize DOSbox perfectly per instance. It's a fantastic service.

You might want to check the Neverwinter Nights games out too:

https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_ni ... nd_edition

https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_2_complete

Very great D&D stuff. And one more recommendation:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_temple_of_elemental_evil

Now I'll leave you to your devices, and hopefully others will chime in with some advice.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:Awesome. I'm not "in the know" for GOG. I had no idea the emu was built in. Assumed you had the file but the rest was up to you.

When you download a GOG game, it has no DRM, meaning you can play the game offline or back up the installation executable however you like. When you install GOG versions of DOS games, the install makes a shortcut on your desktop. You just double click the shortcut and the game starts up perfectly, no screwing around with emulator settings required. Each game is tailored specific by the GOG crew to utilize DOSbox perfectly per instance. It's a fantastic service.[/quote]

Also note, you can apply patches to these games, and they should continue to work without issue. For instance, there are a few games on GOG (that are non-D&D, so I won't name names for the purpose of this thread) that were older releases which lack certain features found in later versions (such as features added to a European release that were not in an American release). Updates for these can often be found on the GOG forums, along with mods or the like that might be necessary to modernize the experience, such as adding in more modern resolutions, better utilized mouse support, etc.

And if you really want the majority of the work taken out of your hands, GOG has a downloadable service called Galaxy which operates similar to Steam (albeit still not fully featured and in Beta), though you can still go in the back end to back up installation files and the like if you would prefer or choose to ignore the service entirely and do things the old fashioned way.

Anyway, to add to the discussion at hand, I also recommend the Eye of the Beholder games, and they are real time. I really need to get back to Eye of the Beholder II some day...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks guys. I've been meaning to look into GoG for quite some time. That is awesome they come packaged with an emu & can support mods.

I may have to look further Eye of the Beholder on the SNES. I creep on the Together Retro threads and this game was played (2016?) and liked by most. That surprised me! Although I can throw it on the SD2SNES, I'd probably be turning to emu so I can use save states.

Not really sure why, but it's been calling out to me for a few years now. I may have to pull the trigger. :shock:

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

It might be fun, but those graphics are a special kind of ass.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Exhuminator wrote:It might be fun, but those graphics are a special kind of ass.

True. The entire Jaguar is a special kind of ass 8). Believe it or not, the Jag resolution, colors, and graphics are an improvement over the Atari ST and Atari Falcon computer releases of the game. Not sure how the Windows 95 port fairs. For some reason I'm drawn to the underdog systems, and I've been eye this one since 2010 or so. Something about the only RPG on the system. I just happen to be in a D&D RPG mood this month so it's more tempting than usual.